Lap/Open

I had one abdominal surgery (a c-section with a vertical scar from my belly button to my pubic bone) and I think that having to deal with adhesions may have caused me to have a little longer period of healing/pain. I think that open may be best because it would allow the doctor to take things out (not to be graphic) and see what's going on before putting them back in their proper order. I think it may lessen your chances of having scar tissue wrap around something that will later need to be fixed. I have very limited understanding, so don't take my word for gospel but if it were me I would plan on the recovery for an open surgery and accept the extended time/pain now rather than having the chance of going under again to repair something missed.

IF it were me, I would request open to be sure my surgeon had a better field of vision than trying to peer thru an itty bitty hole.
Can I make that request? I have always thought the surgeon made that determination, and didn't want my input.

I had one abdominal surgery (a c-section with a vertical scar from my belly button to my pubic bone) and I think that having to deal with adhesions may have caused me to have a little longer period of healing/pain. I think that open may be best because it would allow the doctor to take things out (not to be graphic) and see what's going on before putting them back in their proper order. I think it may lessen your chances of having scar tissue wrap around something that will later need to be fixed. I have very limited understanding, so don't take my word for gospel but if it were me I would plan on the recovery for an open surgery and accept the extended time/pain now rather than having the chance of going under again to repair something missed.

I have a very limited understanding as well. I know that every abdominal surgery I've had has used the same incision line as the one made when I had my gastroplasty in 1984, I've asked them to pull the skin a little tighter when closing me up, but they never have. I still have the little staple dot scars. I think it's certain I have a lot of scar tissue. Other than the 5 surgeries I referred to here, I've also had my appendix and gall bladder removed. (Emergency appendectomy was done while in 3rd trimester of my 4th pregnancy.) I joke around that I'm mostly empty in my abdominal area because of all the things I no longer have. So I think I'll just assume my surgery (if I get it) will be open.

I wonder if 4 pregnancies also causes some shifting or other effects. I only say that because the surgeon went over my pregnancy history (including any late term miscarriages/stillbirth/etc) in my first consult. I'm not sure how the uterus plays into it but it's in that general area (especially in month 8 and 9!) so that may be a contributing factor. One of the reasons for me to have this surgery is because of years of miscarriages (very early) and infertility, so I am a bit jealous of you but my time will come. 23 months and counting.

I wonder if 4 pregnancies also causes some shifting or other effects. I only say that because the surgeon went over my pregnancy history (including any late term miscarriages/stillbirth/etc) in my first consult. I'm not sure how the uterus plays into it but it's in that general area (especially in month 8 and 9!) so that may be a contributing factor. One of the reasons for me to have this surgery is because of years of miscarriages (very early) and infertility, so I am a bit jealous of you but my time will come. 23 months and counting.

Are you 23 months out from surgery? Or are you counting siren to something? Just curious what you mean. You can PM me if you'd rather. I'm sorry to hear of your struggles and the miscarriages you experienced.

Can I make that request? I have always thought the surgeon made that determination, and didn't want my input.
What I would do is ask which he is going to consider for you based on your surgical history. And also ask for his reasoning behind whatever answer he gives. If it's lap and you would prefer open, that would be the time to explain your concerns.

Are you 23 months out from surgery? Or are you counting siren to something? Just curious what you mean. You can PM me if you'd rather. I'm sorry to hear of your struggles and the miscarriages you experienced.

My doctor said that I have to wait 24 months after surgery before we can begin trying to conceive again. I realized how vague that was when I re-read it! Sorry!

Latest posts

Back