Lab questions

Lynn5707

Hi!

I also posted on FB LW group.

I had VSG 7/6/2011. Have been hypothyroid for some time. January 2013 was switched from Armour to levothyroxine. Have put on 15-20 pounds from my lowest. Which I realize is not all fault of med, most is my fault. But I did request, beginning of this year, to be put back on Armour. Just had labs done and they are messed up. other labs "normal" except below.

July 2013. TSH 00.406, T4 1.1. Feb. 2014 TSH 3.149. T4. 00.7

July 2013. Iron. 109. Ferritin. 178.5. Feb. 2014. Iron 33. Ferritin 131.5

Last summer they told me to stop iron cuz ferritin levels high. I have read low iron also plays a part with thyroid making Armour harder to absorb, and levo can contribute to low iron.

I meet with PCP next week as my surgeon moved out of state.

Any advice please. Want to get iron up and weight off.

Thanks!

Amour & Synthroid are not completely interchangeable as you have discovered. And to make things worse, you were put on the generic of Synthroid. While generics have the exact same ACTIVE ingredients, they don't usually have the same fillers, etc that are the inactive ingredients.

Amour is made from natural sources and has both the T3 and T4 in them. I take the Synthroid generic for one and the Cytomel generic for the other. Levothyroxine (Synthroid) is a synthetic version of T4, and liothyronine (Cytomel) is a synthetic version of T3. MOST doctors don't even deal with the T3...they just prescribe for the T4.

So no, Amour and Synthroid are NOT the same by a long shot but combine Synthroid with Cytomel and ONLY then do you come close to what Amour is.

No, I have not heard of any correlation but just because I haven't heard of one doesn't mean yeah or nay as far as having one.

Latest posts

Back