Kidney stones AGAIN!!!!

nedsmehlp

2 years ago I had a kidney stone attack. I couldn’t get help from our medical clinic, after 4 days of crying, I found a urologist an hour away. When I went to see him, he sent me directly to the hospital. When he got in there, he said infection came pouring out. I had to live with a stent for 2 weeks and an antibiotic. After 2 weeks they lasered the kidney stones and I had to have a stent for another week!! Fast forward to last Sunday, I had another kidney stone attack. The ct showed numerous kidney stones very large and one large one stuck in my urethra. Again they went in and couldn’t laser them because of infection. So I’m with a stent in my urethra AGAIN for 2-4 weeks before they can laser my stones!! I can’t go anywhere because it causes me to urinate uncontrollably! Someone told me if you drink 1 oz of apple cider vinegar every day it would stop me getting stones. Anyone tried this or heard if it works? What can I do or take to stop getting these, I need any suggestions? I was drinking lemon juice everyday, but I still got stones!
Any help would be Greatly appreciated!!

2 years ago I had a kidney stone attack. I couldn’t get help from our medical clinic, after 4 days of crying, I found a urologist an hour away. When I went to see him, he sent me directly to the hospital. When he got in there, he said infection came pouring out. I had to live with a stent for 2 weeks and an antibiotic. After 2 weeks they lasered the kidney stones and I had to have a stent for another week!! Fast forward to last Sunday, I had another kidney stone attack. The ct showed numerous kidney stones very large and one large one stuck in my urethra. Again they went in and couldn’t laser them because of infection. So I’m with a stent in my urethra AGAIN for 2-4 weeks before they can laser my stones!! I can’t go anywhere because it causes me to urinate uncontrollably! Someone told me if you drink 1 oz of apple cider vinegar every day it would stop me getting stones. Anyone tried this or heard if it works? What can I do or take to stop getting these, I need any suggestions? I was drinking lemon juice everyday, but I still got stones!
Wow! I have had numerous shockwave treatments and a couple of the “go in with Builder Bob tools“ thing. I’m harboring a 9mm stone now. Currently, it’s behaving.

My urologist has me on UroCitK , 10 MEQ tablets, two in the morning, two at bedtime.

Have you had a 24-hour collection test? If not, why not? Do they know what KIND of stones are doing this? Have you been told about a “low oxalate” diet? I don’t drink vinegar, but I do drink lemonade, every day.

From what you’ve shared, it sounds like you need better care and more info.

I wish I knew more about it! but Spiky does, and so will others here.

I hope you get the info you need.

meanwhile, group hug since it sounds painful, inconvenient and just generally awful. :5grouphug:

I feel your pain. I had one in 2014 shaped like an arrow head and about the size of a nickel. I got one last year, but it wasn't as big. What a bloody mess, quite literally. It was rather scary to see red urine. I've had them lasered and passed smaller ones. I was shocked to see how they were shaped. I sincerely hope you get better.

What can I do or take to stop getting these, I need any suggestions? I was drinking lemon juice everyday, but I still got stones!
Do You know the type of kidney stones? If they are the typical kind, start taking calcium carbonate AT MEALS ONLY. Keep taking your calcium citrate for your bones. But the calcium carbonate is so the calcium in the food is taking out of your body. I’ve been trying to find Diana Cox’ explanation for this. But search is failing me.

Do You know the type of kidney stones? If they are the typical kind, start taking calcium carbonate AT MEALS ONLY. Keep taking your calcium citrate for your bones. But the calcium carbonate is so the calcium in the food is taking out of your body. I’ve been trying to find Diana Cox’ explanation for this. But search is failing me.

I found it but don’t know how to show it here. Hmmm. I’ll try this…

You need to be taking calcium CARBONATE with your meals. Doesn’t count towards your calcium, because it’s going to bind to the oxalates in your food.

Are you taking vitamin C? Don’t. It is converted to oxalate in your body.

No, I’ve never had the 24 hour collection test. I’ve never been told about that. They did test mine a few years ago and it was calcium based. Has the UroCit, 10 MEQ stopped you from making more stones? I’ll have to check on the low oxalate diet.
A few years ago I was told they’re calcium
I was told a few years ago that they are calcium oxalate(?). I did find Diana’s post, it is really informative. I will look for the calcium carbonate tablets, so far just found the powder. I’ll continue lemon juice and I’m desperate enough to drink apple cider vinegar!!
Thanks to everyone for all the help! I really appreciate it!

Tums are Calcium Carbonate.

Okay, no offense, but you need a urologist who can HELP you, not just deal with emergencies.

So a PITA 24-hour urine collection is where you pee into a gas can size container and then schlep it to …somewhere… to be tested. Once they know what kind of stones you are producing, there are logical steps to follow. I guess the UroCit is helping because the one big stone I’m hosting isn’t growing. But I also live with the knowledge that I could grow and try to pass other stones.

If you are creating calcium oxalate stones…as Liz mentioned, they are the most common…then a low oxalate diet will probably be recommended. But don’t try to guess and figure out cures based on what some random internet folks…like me…tell you. LOL

•Calcium Citrate is the calcium we need to add as a supplement because we don’t absorb it as well post-op.
•Calcium Carbonate is the friend with a car that the oxalates (human bodies can’t use oxalates) we consume need to get a free ride out of our bodies instead of ending up in our kidneys and making stones. (I think.)

Last edited:
op.
•Calcium Carbonate is the friend with a car that the oxalates (human bodies can’t use oxalates) we consume need to get a free ride out of our bodies instead of ending up in our kidneys and making stones. (I think.)
That’s how I understood Diana’s explanation.

I'm a long term stone former, and Dianas explanation is the best I know of. I'm on the same thing as spiky, but a higher dose, and while it may not eliminate the stones, it makes mine friable so they usually pass naturally, and crumble to smaller and smaller bits as they move so it's less painful.

I did the low oxalate diet, but was taken off of it because at that time, my Dr said there was zero data linking a low oxalate diet with a reduction in stones, and all of the foods that I was abstaining from were too healthy to not have in a balanced diet.

I'm not fully comfortable mentioning that, because like mentioned above, you need a urologist, not people on the Internet. You also want to get booked with a good nephrologist or urologist asap, not when you are in agony passing a stone.

Latest posts

Back