Just to share....

CaraOC

Credentialed Bitch
Not sure which forum to share this in, I was just reading through previously posted info on surgeons here in the USA and the mention of Lenox Hill Hospital triggered my thoughts. Back in 2003 when I lived in NYC I decided I wanted bariatric surgery. I was pretty clueless about it and probably didn't do nearly as much research as I should have but I ended up being referred to a surgeon in Lenox Hill and I cannot remember her name. It began with a K and was a female. Anyway, I did the classes, jumped the hoops and back then as a union nurse in NYC my insurance was covering everything. It was early July and my surgery date was in September. The surgeon told me to be sure to not get pregnant, so off I went to obtain birth control pills, after not using them for about 12 years. Promptly started the pill. August 5th I was admitted to hospital seizing and lost consciousness, after having the worst headache of my life for three days prior. The type of headache that feels like you've been shot in the head. Long story short, I stroked when curtesy of birth control I'd thrown two clots to my brain. Long recovery, multiple surgeries and no bariatric surgery that September. I'd almost killed myself in an attempt to obtain surgery. So, as a result I'm one of those people who thoroughly discourages birth control pills (even though I'd used it for many years prior without a problem, until it nearly killed me). You have many other options less likely to kill you, and after years of infertility getting pregnant just doesn't seem nearly as catastrophic as dead. I think this share should also shed some light on why I'm a big old panic nervous Nellie sometimes over my own health status. Sometimes I wonder if it was all a big plan from above to steer me well away from the RNY?

"Back in 2003 ... August 5th" That was the day I had my DS.

I'm really sorry you had that happen to you - I can understand your fear.

Cara I am so sorry to hear of your story. A stroke is not something easy to recover from, but you appear to have done a great job. I believe you mentioned in another thread that you are an APN which is no small accomplishment, especially for someone who had a stroke. I am sorry you had the bad experience and certainly understand your passion about educating others if the risks of the pill, but congratulations for your perseverance and still helping others. Being a NICU nurse is a very tough job mentally and emotionally, so I applaud you.

Thanks folks. I appreciate it. I don't dwell on it. Scott I was a nurse before this but getting back in the saddle took a while. As a result of this I developed intracranial pressure issues and developed because of this a chronic CSF leak. That's been the pain in the butt. I had to get a VP shunt for this. After the stroke I had cranial nerve issues but they resolved in time. I sound like I should be on the short bus, but I swear you would never tell my history if you met me!! I guess this site is a therapy experience because I never share this with people. I guess if I can discuss the quantity and character of my poop with you folk this just doesn't seem so secret!!!

Thanks folks. I appreciate it. I don't dwell on it. Scott I was a nurse before this but getting back in the saddle took a while. As a result of this I developed intracranial pressure issues and developed because of this a chronic CSF leak. That's been the pain in the butt. I had to get a VP shunt for this. After the stroke I had cranial nerve issues but they resolved in time. I sound like I should be on the short bus, but I swear you would never tell my history if you met me!! I guess this site is a therapy experience because I never share this with people. I guess if I can discuss the quantity and character of my poop with you folk this just doesn't seem so secret!!!
Dh also has a VP shunt...his developed after his "stroke"...I put that in quotes since no doctor was willing to diagnose him with a stroke at the time but he had ALL the classic symptoms. Neuros who have reviewed his history do say he had one...along with 7 TIA's afterward.

@CaraOC what a story! Congratulations on your recovery and all you have accomplished. thankfully a stroke is a rare complication of birth control pills, but for the person who has the complication that no longer matters. I'm so glad you shared your story with us.

@CaraOC what a story! Congratulations on your recovery and all you have accomplished. thankfully a stroke is a rare complication of birth control pills, but for the person who has the complication that no longer matters. I'm so glad you shared your story with us.
Thanks Larra, that's the problem though, this is not as "rare" as you think.

Dh also has a VP shunt...his developed after his "stroke"...I put that in quotes since no doctor was willing to diagnose him with a stroke at the time but he had ALL the classic symptoms. Neuros who have reviewed his history do say he had one...along with 7 TIA's afterward.
I hope he's continuing to make positive progress. I do find that the word "stroke" does seem to avoided in the healthcare world. They seem to want to refer to it as an "event". But it's a stroke. It's either hemorrhagic or ischemic. Your dh and I both seem to have suffered ischemic variety strokes. For an "event" we would have needed to get all dressed up fancy!!

I hope he's continuing to make positive progress. I do find that the word "stroke" does seem to avoided in the healthcare world. They seem to want to refer to it as an "event". But it's a stroke. It's either hemorrhagic or ischemic. Your dh and I both seem to have suffered ischemic variety strokes. For an "event" we would have needed to get all dressed up fancy!!
He has made progress but not enough between that and the NPH to keep him working. He's been disabled retired from Generous Electric for 7 years now.

Now whether the stroke brought on the NPH or it was already there, no one knows.

You know I recall a woman with pseudotumor cerebri who had a great improvement in her condition post op. I know, not the same thing. Just also involving increased ICP.

Latest posts

Back