It's Vitamin Time!

Vanessa Lucero

So after much research: here is my vitamin haul (it contains no gel caps or gummys):

Kirkland Daily Multi
Cypress Polysaccharide Iron 150 x2
Solaray Copper 2mg
Source Natural Zinc 50mg x2
Food Science Magnesium citrate 140mg x2
Citracal Calcium citrate+D3 400mg x6
BioTech Vitamin A 25,000
Natures Blend Vitamin B-9 (folic acid) 1000
Kirkland Vitamin B-12 sublingual 5,000
Solaray Vitamin B complex 50
Nature Made Vitamin C 1000 x2
Solaray Vitamin D3 50,000
Bio Tech Vitamin E 400
Biotech Vitamin K-1 1000
Biotin (hair and nails)
Florastor probiotic x2

Here's my question for the vets only please;-)

At nine days out, do I start the whole regimen? Or do I stick with just the main players (which ones specifically?) and wait until my 6 month labs to see what else I need to add in?

Thanks!! Xoxo

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Where is your multi?

That is where I would start...and then add a new one about every 2 days til you are at full regimen. Starting all at one time is very hard for most of us.

The image is very hard to see...can you edit your list to include brand and amount?

Ok! Fixed! I added brand, amount of each vitamin and the (x2, x6) is the amount of that vitamin required, other than just one dose.

Last edited:
I think it would be better to have separate vitamin D to make sure you get enough. Most of us take the dry D, at least 50,000 units daily. I have had to increase to 100,000 daily to get my PTH headed back down towards normal, but for now you should follow your labs and adjust accordingly.

I also think this may be way too much zinc. My zinc actually went over the normal range on just 50 mg 4 times a week. This is not good, because excess zinc can cause copper deficiency, which can cause other problems (I won't get into details here, just that with zinc, there really is such a thing as too much of a good thing). So start lower and follow labs.

B vitamins - I suspect you are going overboard there. I haven't neede any so far. Of course NMMV, but I would definitely put these on the back burner, get going on the important stuff first, and add B6 and or B12 if needed. The B vitamins are more of a problem with gastric bypass than with DS.

Copper and Mg - again, not needed at the start, but follow labs. Some people do have problems with copper levels, others don't. No way to know how you will do at this point.

so keep it simple for now, get started on the really important stuff that you will need for sure (multi, A, D, and K, calcium citrate and iron) and go from there.

As far as iron, right now I am on Proferrin ES but mine were trending down based on my Jan labs so I doubled my dose. I'll check again in July and see if it at least maintained the current level that while on the low side of the middle of normal is still high enough if it remains right there.

I couldn't tolerate the Vitalady iron and Proferrin has the advantage of not arguing with food.

I'd go slow and add one at a time. You're only what, 9 days out? I don't think I was taking any yet, I was still just hydrating with protein drinks. I remember some upset my stomach, the iron for sure. Write down which ones you take and the time, so you can pinpoint any that cause you trouble. It might save you later, you never know.

As for how MUCH to take, like Larra said, we tailor our own supplementation amounts according to our labs. So without knowing your levels, nobody can tell you how much you should be taking. But for sure watch the zinc. Also, watch the B6 in the multi's. You do NOT want your B6 too high. B12 can be over 2000 safely, but B6 quickly gets toxic.

Latest posts

Back