Intolerances

Haha. I've been googling till I'm oogling. I'm stuck indoors with all that icy stuff. All these pages have opinions but don't really tell me where my battle lines are.

I know whey
lactose
and now I've added back in casein.

I was thinking about what you said about coffee mate. I do drink ALOT of coffee and I'm not shy about using coffee mate in it, my fav is italian sweet cream. I did, however, one day want a bowl of cereal soooo bad and I don't really like the almond/coconut/soy milk alternatives. I ate a bowl of cereal with coffee mate. Let me tell you, that was not a good idea. I had never really looked at the carbs in coffeemate till that day, I could have had a whole cake for the carbs in that bowl of cereal. I don't know if it was the massive carbs or the casein but I did end up in my common room (bathroom).

The way I'm thinking is that I need to find a food that has each component individually. I can eat/drink that food, wait a couple days and see what causes the methane. I can't figure out how to find those foods or if I have a complete list of the components. I just want to break it all the way down and then figure out what I can have. I'm sooooo excited about goat cheese, feta and now I'm going to try sheep cheese when I can get out to buy some.

I need to get brave and try unpasteurized milk, I know the amish do it all the time and they look healthy.

Maybe the worms would be dead in unpasteurized cheese?

I live in cow country, this is so unfair :(

For me, it's more important to find things that agree with me, than categories of things that don't agree with me. I'll try almost anything, as long as I know I'll be close to a private bathroom. I'm lactose intolerant, but I've tried so many things that I've found heavy cream, half & half and almost all cheeses don't bother me. I CANNOT, under any circumstances, drink skim or 1% milk. I can eat rich, high fat ice cream, but not the light or cheapie stuff. Makes me double over with gas pains. If I drink a protein shake in one go, same thing. If I drink anything with the sugar free flavored syrups, same thing. But that doesn't mean I don't try things that contain sucralose to see what happens. Sometimes it does cause me discomfort, more than not, it doesn't. Sometimes I can't figure out why, but the why isn't as important to me. I don't even know if that made sense!

it makes tons of sense @brooklyngirl . My logic is that if I know that I can't have whey, I can look at an item and determine if it has whey in it an not eat it. It's not as simple as experimenting as I travel all the time and don't always have tons of options of what I eat. I've been known to eat hot dogs from gas stations before (ewwww). I also am really excited about the prospect of the goat cheese and would like to find a solid cheese that melts that I could eat. May be a pipe dream. If I experiment on the road, I may be a tushie breech, not a good idea. If I experiment when I have meetings, I may have to leave the meeting or gas the place. It can hit me up to a couple days after or that day, I never know.

My idea is to experiment when I'm going to be home (that doesn't happen often as I work 6-7 days a week) with the different components to know what to avoid. The separate ingredients will be listed on packaging. Does my path make sense to analyzing this ?

I have not tried the raw milk, I'm a little scared of getting worms. Just sounds really gross to me to have worms in my 'innards. I could live my whole life without drinking a glass of cows milk again, I don't miss yogurt either. I really miss cottage cheese and ricotta. Hard cheeses, melty cheeses, I really miss.
If you get your raw milk from a solid source, it is safer than pasteurized. Remember the Chobani incident? They had a recall in 2013 for mold. And it was pasteurized. In a plant that the FDA said was safe.

The raw milk I get is from a small dairy farmer who adheres to very strict safety standards.

The raw milk I get is from a small dairy farmer who adheres to very strict safety standards.

that sounds like the safest way to go. small means you can care and you HAVE to care, they mess up and somebody gets sick they know they will lose all their business.

now, if some big company was selling unpasteurized milk I'd be nervous.

Ok, I keep coming back to this thread because I really feel your pain not being able to eat cheese. I’ve been a cheese head my whole life..lol and its one of the reasons I chose the DS, to be able to still eat cheese. So, I had a thought…along the same lines regarding your “coffee mate”…maybe, just maybe this is a threshold thing, maybe all those other things play a role in your reaction, but just eating the cheese puts you over the limit. Much like a glass of water that is full, only takes one drop to start overflowing. ALL allergies work like that. Have you taken a whole day and ate NO other stuff (especially coffee mate) and then just try the hard cheddar, or swiss or parmesan?? Maybe it is not just the cheese. Might be worth a try? You probably already have, if so…sorry for wasting your time.

Thanks @robs477 I haven't thought of that :) Never feel like you are wasting your time and I've always been a cheesehead too. I would give up cheese forever to have what I have now, but I'm trying to figure out how to trick my body LOL

Latest posts

Back