Intermittinent bowel obstruction?

SHales

What is your experience with this? Symptoms?

Yes, I am trying to self-diagnose. When I told my PCP about it, he said if it happens again go straight to the hospital so he can do a CT W/contrast. It happened again today but I was out of town with my 80 year old mother and a cat that had just had surgery. I did wait in the parking lot at the vet's office to see if I would have to go to the hospital anyway or if it would go away like before, obviously, it went away.

I know, I know, Russian roulette. :(

No experience...just the knowledge that it can happen and Russian Roulette is probably not the preferred treatment.

No experience...just the knowledge that it can happen and Russian Roulette is probably not the preferred treatment.
The pain I was in today would have made me consider it if it would have lasted any longer. Owie!

I've had experience with this, and will say that even if you get the scan w/contrast right away (or hours later, or ANY time) this can apparently be hard to diagnose. Often just looks like too much poo and gas in there to see anything obvious.

Any time you can go in and may get a good scan, do so. Even when mine seemed to resolve, it eventually always came back, and more frequently, and increasingly severe.

I hope you get a diagnosis for this right away (and frankly, hope it's not an obstruction, but a gas bubble or something that is a non-issue).

Last edited:
I have a hernia or hernias... Every now and then it really hurts and I try to get the bowel unkinked the old fashioned way my mom taught me. You lay down and massage the gut. Luckily this has always worked for me so far!

I really don't think it is gas. I have had some pretty painful gas and this is different. Waves of pain, cold and clammy skin, feel wobbly, feel like I may have to use the bathroom but nothing transpires there. I did throw up once yesterday but the nausea seemed to coincide with the pain waves. Scared the crap out of my poor mother! She was a trooper though. She kept insisting she could drive. LOL , no mom it's not a good idea for blind people to drive.

I am currently being worked up for Sphincter of Oddi Dysfunction, or papillary stenosis. Even though I don't have my gallbladder, stones can still form and get stuck in the cbd, or the sphincter can spasm. It's the same EXACT symptoms that sent me to the ER when I had my gb out- severe squeezing pain/pressure, radiating through to my back, and even up to my jaw. Scares the bejesus outta me. Not associated w/diarrhea or constipation, but sometimes mild nausea, no vomiting. The feeling that if I could burp or fart, it would be relieved, but never happens. Episodes last 20-60 minutes and are debilitating!

If it is an intestinal spasm, or gas, getting on all fours, head down, MIGHT help.
I have done this for gas and it does help! I felt no gas, just waves of pain. Usually with severe gas pains, it is more of a steady thing and usually, I can 'feel' the difference. I hope it is gas but shit, it made me sick!

From the Wild Ass Guess Department...Google pseudo obstruction and/or intestinal pseudo obstruction.

I think...but this is not at all based on science...that our floppy intestines occasionally block themselves to the point that we have all the signs of an obstruction...in my case it was severe distention...when nothing it actually blocking the intestine on the interior.

I once met a woman who explained that when she was fat, her intestines looked like a football goal post. But after she lost 150 pounds, they drooped like a Christmas tinsel garland...and developed twists and turns that temporarily blocked food passage from the outside. I think she eventually had surgery to lessen the excess.

Just wanted to share a weird notion.

From the Wild Ass Guess Department...Google pseudo obstruction and/or intestinal pseudo obstruction.

I think...but this is not at all based on science...that our floppy intestines occasionally block themselves to the point that we have all the signs of an obstruction...in my case it was severe distention...when nothing it actually blocking the intestine on the interior.

I once met a woman who explained that when she was fat, her intestines looked like a football goal post. But after she lost 150 pounds, they drooped like a Christmas tinsel garland...and developed twists and turns that temporarily blocked food passage from the outside. I think she eventually had surgery to lessen the excess.

I have heard this before and think it is probably spot on just from the "it makes sense to me" point of view.

I think this may be closer to what I actually had the last time, and that was why it was so hard to diagnose. Of course, taking out a shitload of adhesion fixed it immediately and completely.

Yah, that doesn't really sound like gas, and does sound too familiar. For the sake of your safety and your comfort, I hope your doc can help resolve this for you asap.

Latest posts

Back