Im a speshull kind of special

oh, Im still preop....so I only have a sleeve to deal with at the moment :) Just trying to get levels up so I CAN get my Ds. And I know we need dry stuff. It's in my notes as my GP has said she will hook me up with as much of what I need as she can and I will top up with what she can't. Have I mentioned before I have an awesome GP? :)
My GP told me she'd do the same and then when I went in post op I didn't get anything I needed. Even the Sanatogen vitamins I got on prescription aren't as potent as the Kirkland multi.

GPs don't prescribe until you're deficient and we need to catch that before it gets to that stage. "An ounce prevention is better than pound of cure"... sadly the NHS doesn't seem to understand that.

but how does that happen when one eats like a normal person on a health diet? Do I just have terrible genes?
That is how normies have low calcium...DS'ers are a special risk. http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/003477.htm
Lower than normal levels may be due to:
  • Hypoparathyroidism
  • Kidney failure
  • Liver disease
  • Magnesium deficiency
  • Disorders that affect absorption of nutrients from your intestines
  • Osteomalacia
  • Pancreatitis
  • Vitamin D deficiency
Bolding is mine.

Yes Donni - definitely. Also normies absorb very little Vit D from food. It is produced by exposure to the sun and we don't get any in the UK!

Normies have low levels with some of these too, espially D. I forget the exact number of women in the world that are low on D, but they say it should be considered an "epidimic". My D level was 6 prior to surgery, and the range should be 30-100.

Since you have prescription D now (the little squishy green foodfalls?) it is the kind in oil, so use it all up prior to surgery since it should still help, but as others have mentioned, it will be useless you to post op.

Yes Donni - definitely. Also normies absorb very little Vit D from food. It is produced by exposure to the sun and we don't get any in the UK!

Maybe thats it. My system is in shock lol. Spent September driving from LA to salmon Idaho in the blissful sun and came back to 5 hours of light a day lol.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Normies have low levels with some of these too, espially D. I forget the exact number of women in the world that are low on D, but they say it should be considered an "epidimic". My D level was 6 prior to surgery, and the range should be 30-100.

Since you have prescription D now (the little squishy green foodfalls?) it is the kind in oil, so use it all up prior to surgery since it should still help, but as others have mentioned, it will be useless you to post op.
No there are fruit flavoured tablets....like supersized tums lol

I would guess a lot of VSGers have at least some deficiencies - I was way low on vit D last I checked and, guess what? I'd been all casual with supplements. I'm better now.

Ummm casual doesn't begin to describe my "regimen". I fully understood the need for vast supplements for the DS so don't burn me at the stake lol, but I haven't done vitamins....and here is why: Unless I restrict my intake via diet, which is just as bloody hard post vsg as it was preop, I am able to eat as a normal person (calories wise if I don't log it on mfp the totals can be tremendous!!!)....veg, fruit, mass loads of protein (100g+) and I have only had one deficiency before and that was the first year out and I was low on folate which was par for the course as I didn't eat much veg in favour of meat and protein.

Latest posts

Back