Im a speshull kind of special

DuodenalSwitchaRoo

Taking a long scenic route!
So, I have been sleeping....a crap load and a half. I'm usually a fussy sleeper...has to be dark and dead quiet, but lately I had been falling asleep sitting up, tv on, all the lights on and I would wake myself up snoring. I knew something wasn't right...so I demanded blood tests. This was before I got my letter so it is just happy (or unhappy) timing. Got the call today with my results: low iron, low folate and low D. I'm only a freakin sleevee and eat like a rabid cow...lots of green stuff too!!! So yeah. I don't have my numbers, but I am getting a print out to take to my preop on Friday.

Also, the dr said my glucose was the lowest he had ever seen...EVER. I have no idea what that number is, but I am curious as anything to see those numbers tonight because I used to be T2DM and could have swore it was coming back....but no, I'm hypo, like all the fracking time.

So I have answers, I'm not looney and I dont have narcolepsy. I just have vit deficiencies BEFORE I have a DS. Like I said...a speshull kind of special.

Oh yeah you bet I will!!!! I already realise this could make the wait a bit longer but before a friend died from going into the ds unhealthy she made me promise I would have zero deficiencies on ds day. I will get the print out tonight so I can see exactly where I am and will report back.

Medical stuff is hard. humph! Trying to work my way down the list. (I will have a scanner tomorrow and show you properly but even then, the UK just gives you a weird print out lol)

So the GP that rang me today to let me know of the issues was my GP pre-sleeve and I was a huge mess of the beetus. Either he couldn't be bothered to read I am no longer diabetic or he refuses to believe it. Either way, he freaked me out a bit by saying my HbA1c was super low. It is the new (in the UK) way of testing fasting glucose. My result is 35mmol/mol (normal range 48-59) thus I am "low".....but not dying of liver failure and heart attack simultaneously like Dr Google told me. humph!

The next one is "Serum 25-HO vit D3 level" 25 nmol/L (normal range 50-140) "Low" but to me, that looks uber low...but I have yet to get that far on my research.

I also have no idea what this means: "Serum C reactive protein level" 21.8 mg/L (normal range 0-4.9) "high"

"Serum folate" 4.0 ug/L (normal range 4.6-18.7) I have had low folate before, but thought I would be ok as I do eat quite a bit of green veg, but that's not the case.

"Haemoglobin estimation" 111 g/L (normal range 115-160) "Low"

"Haematocrit" 0.350 (normal range 0.36-0.46) "Low"

"Erythrocyte sedimentation rate" 32 mm/h (normal range 1-12) "High"

Ok so that's all the bolded stuff. I will get the other stuff scanned tomorrow as even the normal stuff I am sorta near the bottom end. At this point, I'm going to my preop 100% expecting to be postponed...and I am perfectly ok with that. This is a good exercise in learning to read and fix labs that are a little off rather than life threatening.

I have been prescribed "Tutti Fruitti D3" lol...it's pretty tasty! And Ferrous Iron and Folate.

I also made my first pre dser faux pax lol. I gobbled down the D3 and then popped the others...yeah...the D3 and iron cancel each other out! Best to learn now rather than later :)

How can my calcium be low? I don't malabsorb and I eat cottage cheese, sour cream, cheddar cheese, milk etc....how how how? If my body is this naughty preop I think Im going to be one hell of a high maintenance post op!

oh, Im still preop....so I only have a sleeve to deal with at the moment :) Just trying to get levels up so I CAN get my Ds. And I know we need dry stuff. It's in my notes as my GP has said she will hook me up with as much of what I need as she can and I will top up with what she can't. Have I mentioned before I have an awesome GP? :)

How can my calcium be low? I don't malabsorb and I eat cottage cheese, sour cream, cheddar cheese, milk etc....how how how? If my body is this naughty preop I think Im going to be one hell of a high maintenance post op!

You'll have to work at it a little, but it's achievable. I had high ParaThyroidHormone and I did the following to bring mine down:

4,000mg Calcium (I like Vitacost's Bone Booster Complex which I take across 6 batches as you can't absorb much over 500mg batches 2 hours apart)
5-600 mcg vitamin K2
100,000 iu dry vitamin D
Strontium

I got into normal levels after 3 months of doing the above.

I was already on 50,000iu of vitamin D and I'm slightly above range now, so I went back to 50,000 and I'll see how my labs are in a couple weeks. I was also already on that amount of calcium and I was intermittently on the strontium, so the big differences were the D and K2 (I was on 300mcg of K2 previously).

I've just recently started taking magnesium citrate at a 2:1 ratio which will help your bones, so that means if you have 600mg of calcium you need to take 300mg of magnesium citrate (I snap one tablet in half to get to this number). You may read that magnesium citrate makes you 'go', well I can say that I'm as constipated as ever so introduce it slowly and I'm sure you'll be absolutely fine (I'm working on the constipation with fat consumption and Miralax, so I'm OK on that front).

Latest posts

Back