I am home from my surgery...

I'm debating on taking my Oxycodone because I was told it my slow my bowels while I sleep and given my concern for the lack of Bowel movements I'm unsure how to proceed.

Congrats on getting through surgery!

As far as the bowel movements, remember that there really isn't much going in so not much will be moving out. I was sporadic at best the first couple of days home. Now at 3 weeks I am almost back to being regular and they are for the most part normal.

I wouldn't worry about constipation and the Oxy. Unless you are really heavily dosing yourself, one at bedtime to get you to sleep shouldn't affect your bowels. On this I do know a good deal since I fought major opiate induced constipation and all the complications from it after a back injury. So much so that one of the major drug mrf's came to my house to do a PSA for doctors about it. Lately the hospitals and doctors are mentioning it more and more as a precaution.

Keep working on the fluids and protein!

Grats Denis! I never took a narcotic after my surgery, which was a lap DS. NSAID Toradol was fine for me. I'd stop it ASAP if I were you because it can mask serious symptoms you should be watching out for now, and they are also highly addictive. One mans opinion...

Okay 1st full day home, still only passing gas at home, my nurse told me give it 24 hours because the last day in the hospital I didn't eat much, maybe half a pudding. Today I had 1 and a half protein shakes so far about 45 grams of protein, I ate a sugar free popsicle, and about a cup and a half of beef broth. and I have been trying to take in a full liter of water all day. I walked every time I ate, and went on an extended walk just after dinner. I have tried to stay sitting up all day but all I really want to do is lay down so my stomach wont bother me so much. I'm prepping my CPAP Machine now for bed, I'm debating on taking my Oxycodone because I was told it my slow my bowels while I sleep and given my concern for the lack of Bowel movements I'm unsure how to proceed.

Sounds like you're doing great...I personally wouldn't take the narcotics unless the pain is really bad which it should not be. Take an advil or some other non narcotic pain reliever instead.

So this is the second full day home after getting home from the hospital, today I drank half a protein shake, I had 1 sugar free orange popsicle, and drank 1.5 liters of water/crystal light. I spent most of the day supervising yard work, and I was outside for a lot of the time, I'm a little nervous I am pushing myself a little to hard.

Denis,

Sounds like you are doing well!

Listen to your gut - if you think you are pushing yourself too hard you probably are. Make sure above all, not to lift too much or be tempted to start picking things up off the ground. That said, while you shouldn't overdo things, it is good to walk around and get that circulation going.

Take as much pain medication as you need (within the prescription guidance of course) to stay comfortable and be able to get good rest so your body can heal. Pain control is essential. In my view it is up there with hydration as top priority.

Congrats on a successful surgery and trip home! I agree with everything Hilary said. Take it easy, but don't stress too much about it. If you feel exhausted, it's too much. If not, watching people do yard work is probably good for you. Fresh air and moving around is a good thing, as long as you stay fully hydrated and don't lift anything. Keep up the good work :)

Such awesome news! I haven't had a lot of time to read or post so sorry I am late to the party! As others have said sip,walk, rest, repeat! I will be looking forward to reading about your journey! Welcome Denis Korb to the "DARKSIDE"!!

Sounds like you are doing well. Just stay hydrated! And if you need a pain pill to sleep, take one! I used mine only at night so I could sleep well!

Congrats -

I am one that says limit the pain killers if you really don't need them because they mess my gut up and definitely constipate me...I didn't have that much pain after surgery other than GERD which narcotics don't help anyway so I didn't take any pain pills at home (they just don't do much for me) BUT everyone is different and if you need the painkillers and they don't mess up your bowels then take them.

Latest posts

Back