Howdy

I didn't broach it with my surgeon. My "exercise physiologist" told me yard work and home renovations were NOT exercise...I haven't been back to that office since except to pick up a copy of my surgical report. When you are sweating buckets doing those, I consider it beneficial. I don't and never have liked "exercise". I will walk, I have used a pool to swim.

And why should I be any less committed if I can't exercise they way THEY think I should? I tried that route decades ago...it took going every day for 2-3 hours to see any improvement...I don't have that kind of time to waste. I have too much life to live than to be exercising all the damned time. See my posts in this thread: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/how-much-exercise-do-you-need.3033/

The doctors say losing weight will reduce my pain but I have a hard time believing my nerve pain and muscle pain will be less. I could see my joint pain and actual orthopedic pain in my spine. How did your pain levels do?

The doctors say losing weight will reduce my pain but I have a hard time believing my nerve pain and muscle pain will be less. I could see my joint pain and actual orthopedic pain in my spine. How did your pain levels do?
My nerve pain was under control long before the DS. I had worked for over 10 years by then to tightly control my blood sugars which in turn, let the nerves heal. Nerves will heal, they just take a LONG time. But the DS allowed me to tightly control my blood sugars without extra help of insulin and metformin. I was already, pre-ds, coming down on much of the pain meds from the PN.

As far as muscle pain...mine has never been horrid, other than just not liking to be touched some days, I do pretty good. Haven't had a flare from fibro in a very long time.

But my joint pain, due to osteoarthritis (age related) and my back pain are still controlled by NSAIDS. THAT is why I needed the DS. Can't use NSAIDS (oral or topical) with RNY. And I required malabsorption.

My nerve pain was under control long before the DS. I had worked for over 10 years by then to tightly control my blood sugars which in turn, let the nerves heal. Nerves will heal, they just take a LONG time. But the DS allowed me to tightly control my blood sugars without extra help of insulin and metformin. I was already, pre-ds, coming down on much of the pain meds from the PN.

As far as muscle pain...mine has never been horrid, other than just not liking to be touched some days, I do pretty good. Haven't had a flare from fibro in a very long time.

But my joint pain, due to osteoarthritis (age related) and my back pain are still controlled by NSAIDS. THAT is why I needed the DS. Can't use NSAIDS (oral or topical) with RNY. And I required malabsorption.

Are you saying you have no nerve pain at all neither from back surgery nor diabetes? You're so lucky! Well I'm glad you don't deal with nerve pain. My nerves are damaged beyond repair and coated with scar tissue (arachnoiditis) so it's 'til death do us part. I lost a lot of feeling from my waist to my toes but the nerve stuff is more than I can bear sometimes. Do you not malabsorb narcotics too when it's required? Or does it have the same effect that alcohol does? Thanks again! I'll stop bugging you after this!

Are you saying you have no nerve pain at all neither from back surgery nor diabetes? You're so lucky! Well I'm glad you don't deal with nerve pain. My nerves are damaged beyond repair and coated with scar tissue (arachnoiditis) so it's 'til death do us part. I lost a lot of feeling from my waist to my toes but the nerve stuff is more than I can bear sometimes. Do you not malabsorb narcotics too when it's required? Or does it have the same effect that alcohol does? Thanks again! I'll stop bugging you after this!
No, I'm not saying that. I just don't let it get the best of me. I'm not into narcotics if I can avoid them. Right now my best friends are ibuprofen so I can sleep and Voltaren to help targeted areas like my knees or hands.

I know I have nerve damage but the damage done from diabetes can be handled. The one spot that bothers me the most is my pinky and ring finger from ulnar nerve damage.

I think part of it is I absolutely despise the side effects (both mental and physical) of pain meds so I avoid them as much as I can.

Latest posts

Back