Howdy

Webmommy

I have been obese my entire adult life and only manage to lose and regain weight. My parents and uncles are all obese plus they have diabetes, high blood pressure and/or congestive heart failure and I don't want that to be my future either. I have a son with an intellectual disability and autism so I need to live as long as I can to prepare him.

The other major factor is that I'm disabled by fibromyalgia and failed back surgery syndrome with peripheral neuropathy so I have major pain and nerve impairments. I completely expect more back surgeries and to be in a wheelchair one day and it will be so much easier on my family, future caregivers and me if I weigh an appropriate weight. Not to mention I feel so painfully heavy when I get out of a chair.

I don't know what surgery I'll ultimately pick nor am I sure when. I'm leaning towards the DS. We are not sure if we are going to have one more baby now or wait until after but I'm a planner and like to know EVERYTHING first.

Anyway, I only got so far here in trying to find the realities of life after a DS by lurking so I created an account! Thanks for the wealth of information and experience you have all been sharing.

Hi and welcome! I'm glad you found us and are now one of us.
With your back and other physical problems, it sounds like you need the operation that will get the most possible excess weight off and help you the most in keeping that weight off, and that's the DS, hands down. There are excellent long term studies that show that the DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss and, of equal importance, for maintenance of that weight loss. It also has the best statistics for permanent resolution of all major comorbidities.
Keep on reading, ask questions if you need to, and make an informed decision.

Ditto what Larra says. The DS is the only way to go. Best decision I ever made.

Also I can only believe your body pain will be at least eased if not almost eliminated by being a normal weight. Its really transformative.

As for the baby part, after WLS it is imperative that you NOT get pregnant for 2 years (or is it 18 months? someone else chime in here) or your baby could be born with severe birth defects. You will be rapidly losing weight and with malabsorption procedures like the DS, trying to get your vitamins and nutrients regulated. There won't be enough to spare for a developing fetus until you are stabilized.

Good luck in your decision.

Hi and welcome! I'm glad you found us and are now one of us.
With your back and other physical problems, it sounds like you need the operation that will get the most possible excess weight off and help you the most in keeping that weight off, and that's the DS, hands down. There are excellent long term studies that show that the DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss and, of equal importance, for maintenance of that weight loss. It also has the best statistics for permanent resolution of all major comorbidities.
Keep on reading, ask questions if you need to, and make an informed decision.

I've come to that conclusion already but not sure if I want to take a ton of vitamins and no more rice and potatoes the REST of my life. On the other hand, nothing else is working anymore. I just don't know if I trust myself enough to do right if I have the DS. I think I would because the consequences are huge but the what ifs are worrying me.

I've come to that conclusion already but not sure if I want to take a ton of vitamins and no more rice and potatoes the REST of my life. On the other hand, nothing else is working anymore. I just don't know if I trust myself enough to do right if I have the DS. I think I would because the consequences are huge but the what ifs are worrying me.

Thanks for the welcome and the advice!

Ditto what Larra says. The DS is the only way to go. Best decision I ever made.

Also I can only believe your body pain will be at least eased if not almost eliminated by being a normal weight. Its really transformative.

As for the baby part, after WLS it is imperative that you NOT get pregnant for 2 years (or is it 18 months? someone else chime in here) or your baby could be born with severe birth defects. You will be rapidly losing weight and with malabsorption procedures like the DS, trying to get your vitamins and nutrients regulated. There won't be enough to spare for a developing fetus until you are stabilized.

Good luck in your decision.

I'm 40 so my eggs are ooolllllddddd! That's why we are trying to weigh baby now or later. Our RE wants to do IVF but my bmi (43%) is too high. She actually suggested WLS. It would reduce a lot of pregnancy risks if I were smaller. But 18 months to 2 years is a long time after 40 when it comes to fertility and I'll be like 43 by the time we start again. I was too afraid a few years ago to wean off my painkillers and wasted some prime eggs and a lower bmi.

I hope my pain will be less but some of it won't go away because once nerves are damaged and scarred over that's it. Hopefully my joint pain will improve though!

I have to disagree somewhat with @Clematis here. I agree about not getting pregnant for at least 18 months after surgery, but the potential harm is more to the mother than to the fetus. Fetuses are very good at getting what they want and need, and will take it at the expense of their mothers. So you would suffer from deficiencies before your offspring would. This is not to say that harm couldn't come to both of you, just that you will suffer first. Not good either way, though.

And where did you get the idea that you would never eat rick or potatoes again in your life with the DS?? One of the great things about this operation is that there is NO food that you can never eat again. Of course, during the rapid weight loss phase, you will want to limit carbs as much as possible to maximize your weight loss, but eventually you can eat things like rice or potatoes with your meal, though probably not as much as in the past, and while still emphasizing protein first. There are some foods that you may regret eating later - for me, 1-2 onion rings is the most my intestines can handle, for example.

On the vitamins - yes, you will need to take a lot of vitamins and minerals for the rest of your life. This is not optional. I view it as a commitment to myself. While it's crucial, that doesn't mean that it's difficult. It becomes just another part of your daily routine, like brushing your teeth. But if you're not willing to make that commitment to yourself, don't have any operation with any malabsorptive component.

Welcome @Webmommy
Okay, rice and potatoes...not recommended esp during your major weight lose phase but honestly NOTHING is off the table forever. However each of us is different. I could eat my weight in rice easy so I chose to not keep it in the house and always eat protein first out before having a bite or two of rice. Potatoes, I load with all kinds of goodness, butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon and eat mostly that (after protein)

The other major factor is that I'm disabled by fibromyalgia and failed back surgery syndrome with peripheral neuropathy so I have major pain and nerve impairments. I completely expect more back surgeries and to be in a wheelchair one day and it will be so much easier on my family, future caregivers and me if I weigh an appropriate weight. Not to mention I feel so painfully heavy when I get out of a chair.
I've had two back surgeries...both worked but I already suspect another is in my future. I also have fibro but have not flared in a long time. My PN is due to diabetes. I got it under control by keeping tight control of my blood sugars from 1997 (when first diagnosed) to 2011 when I had my DS. Now my DS keeps tight control.

Question? what med are you taking for your PN? Just be aware that most pain meds (like neurontin or lyrica) will fight you on weight loss.

Vitamins...they are just a daily habit now. If you take other meds, they became habits. I went from eleven prescription meds to two and those two are related to my thyroid.

Welcome!

Your issues sound ideally suited to the DS - all things that the DS is best at, and the ability to take NSAIDs type pain relievers in the future if needed for the other ailments.

It is good to think through the ability to stick with and follow the vitamin thing before hand, but don't think that if you get gastric bypass (rny) you will be off the hook in that regard. Honestly, throwing back a handful of vitamins every day is so very preferable to the prescriptions I was on (and am no longer on any of the prescriptions I was on pre op).

I know there are DSers that have trouble with gas if they eat many carbs (like rice and potatos) but I'm not one of them. I doubt it's natural because I take an evolving mix of probiotics, which I believe help with many things, including gas. I eat what I want, which was NOT the case before surgery. I abstained from many foods, including healthy ones stressing over calories. Now, my capacity is small, so I make sure I've eaten enough protein for the day, but eat what ever I want, including rice and potatoes.

I have to disagree somewhat with @Clematis here. I agree about not getting pregnant for at least 18 months after surgery, but the potential harm is more to the mother than to the fetus. Fetuses are very good at getting what they want and need, and will take it at the expense of their mothers. So you would suffer from deficiencies before your offspring would. This is not to say that harm couldn't come to both of you, just that you will suffer first. Not good either way, though.

And where did you get the idea that you would never eat rick or potatoes again in your life with the DS?? One of the great things about this operation is that there is NO food that you can never eat again. Of course, during the rapid weight loss phase, you will want to limit carbs as much as possible to maximize your weight loss, but eventually you can eat things like rice or potatoes with your meal, though probably not as much as in the past, and while still emphasizing protein first. There are some foods that you may regret eating later - for me, 1-2 onion rings is the most my intestines can handle, for example.

On the vitamins - yes, you will need to take a lot of vitamins and minerals for the rest of your life. This is not optional. I view it as a commitment to myself. While it's crucial, that doesn't mean that it's difficult. It becomes just another part of your daily routine, like brushing your teeth. But if you're not willing to make that commitment to yourself, don't have any operation with any malabsorptive component.

I read here that carbs become a problem post DS surgery and you can regain your weight with it plus it will cause you awful gas and melt the paint off the walls diarrhea. So potentially no rice and potatoes again. Plus I could never slack or be inconsistent with my vitamins. I'm trying to go into this with wide open eyes about the surgery as well about myself. I don't want to fail the surgery just because I really really really love mashed potatoes. I think I'm mostly undecided if I am able to commit to anything permanent. This is a huge decision.

Welcome @Webmommy
Okay, rice and potatoes...not recommended esp during your major weight lose phase but honestly NOTHING is off the table forever. However each of us is different. I could eat my weight in rice easy so I chose to not keep it in the house and always eat protein first out before having a bite or two of rice. Potatoes, I load with all kinds of goodness, butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon and eat mostly that (after protein)

I've had two back surgeries...both worked but I already suspect another is in my future. I also have fibro but have not flared in a long time. My PN is due to diabetes. I got it under control by keeping tight control of my blood sugars from 1997 (when first diagnosed) to 2011 when I had my DS. Now my DS keeps tight control.

Question? what med are you taking for your PN? Just be aware that most pain meds (like neurontin or lyrica) will fight you on weight loss.

Vitamins...they are just a daily habit now. If you take other meds, they became habits. I went from eleven prescription meds to two and those two are related to my thyroid.

I'm off pain management right now because we're doing a Clomid cycle and I had to wean off everything. Everything. Fentanyl, Baclofen, Neurontin, Norco, two anti-depressants and then two more meds to control the side effects. Plus birth control pill. It was so very hard but I wanted to try. Plus one can cope with everything short term. I was down to 223 which was a new low for me in a long time but after I got off the last med I gained 60 lbs over four months and was powerless to stop it.

My nerve damage is from injuries and surgeries. I also have a spinal cord stimulator implant too. The surgeries were fine I just kept reinjuring myself and discs kept shrinking. Then I rehealed too well with too much scar tissue. I can walk most of the time which that was a problem before my back surgeries but I can't walk, stand or sit too long. How did you manage the exercise portion of your weightloss?

Welcome!

Your issues sound ideally suited to the DS - all things that the DS is best at, and the ability to take NSAIDs type pain relievers in the future if needed for the other ailments.

It is good to think through the ability to stick with and follow the vitamin thing before hand, but don't think that if you get gastric bypass (rny) you will be off the hook in that regard. Honestly, throwing back a handful of vitamins every day is so very preferable to the prescriptions I was on (and am no longer on any of the prescriptions I was on pre op).

I know there are DSers that have trouble with gas if they eat many carbs (like rice and potatos) but I'm not one of them. I doubt it's natural because I take an evolving mix of probiotics, which I believe help with many things, including gas. I eat what I want, which was NOT the case before surgery. I abstained from many foods, including healthy ones stressing over calories. Now, my capacity is small, so I make sure I've eaten enough protein for the day, but eat what ever I want, including rice and potatoes.

When I was taking medication I made sure to not skip doses because I didn't want withdrawal so maybe I'll be fine with the vitamins.

Thanks for sharing and the welcome!

Vitamins aren't difficult @Webmommy . I take them once in the morning and again in the evening -- pretty much as I did before DS, I just take more of them.

BTW I have zero bowel/gas issues with potatoes in any form. Actually I have zero bowel/gas issues with any carbs. Too much fat does give me loose, stinky poop -- but that has to be a LOT of fat and I just don't eat like that. Vegetables that are notorious gas producers in just about everybody -- onions and cabbage for example -- give me bad gas, too. Other than that, my bowels are normal. One poop in the morning as I've had all my life. When people have issues with their bowels, they come on forums to talk about it so it may seem like "everybody" who has a DS has bowel issues. But that simply isn't true.

Latest posts

Back