Howdy Everybody Ready - Getting Surgery w/Dr. Kim

David Trevino

I will be getting surgery next month which is the DS Loop and was wondering if anyone else had this Surgery and could give me advice or let me know how their surgery went. This would really help me put my mind and ease and get prepared for what is to come.

Welcome @David Trevino
The LoopDS is still fairly new. We don't have too many on here that have it yet but we are probably one of the few places with a dedicated forum for it so far. We do know that like the DS, it has the sleeve but the malabsorptive part is different than the Traditional DS.

Note that I am the self-described "Bad Cop" here - because I'm going to be a little blunt.

I would hope that you really understand what you are getting with the SADI, because there are no long term results for this still-experimental procedure, and it does NOT have the benefit of selective fat malabsorption that the DS does. If you don't know everything there is to know about the difference between the two procedures, and why you think the SADI will suffice (will be good enough), then you aren't ready for surgery. If Kim is ONLY doing the SADI, then you may not be getting all the information you need from him - you should ALSO talk to someone who does a proper DS.

:welcometotheforum:Dr. Kim did my sleeve in 2010. I had a great experience (well, except that he did a lot of surgeries that day and I was last because I was a revision). But, I guess surgeons do lots of surgery.

@David Trevino
You also might want to be aware of this thread.
While it is a completely different surgeon, the situation might be an issue. Also it might be an issue if you are not self pay. I know that Duke Medical is doing studies on the SADI/LoopDS so they are allowing the surgery to be done in their facility.

It's just a factor that might influence your decision.

Latest posts

Back