How are you eating

Newb

I am trying g to really wrap my head around the mainly protein diet but am really getting stuck. What are you eating? Do you have to prepare food every day for the day? What are some grab and go foods? I don't mind doing the protein shakes in the morning, but sometimes I want food. I've also realized that my whole breakfast experience has mainly been carbs, which I won't be turning to. I am trying to adjust my thinking, but it is amazing how difficult it is for me to stop using carbs as a staple. When you are running around and just need to eat something on the go, what do you get? Like I said, it's more difficult than I imagined to even get started.

There is NO meal without at least 30 g of protein.

You can buy a meat sandwich or burger and eat the meat and throw away (most of) the bread. What is so hard about that?

I recommend that you experiment by following Atkins-style eating. Check out atkins.com for the diet plan and eating ideas. (But understand that early post-op, you will not be eating ANY of the veggies they talk about. I'm so sensitive to carbs that when I did Atkins over the years pre-op I rarely if ever ate veggies.) I think you'll find that after a while with ultra low carb, you won't get carb cravings. Of all diets, I found high protein the easiest to do while out and about. All restaurants have a slab of protein of some sort. At home keep a bowl of hard boiled eggs and hard cheeses.

All restaurants have a slab of protein of some sort.
Unless it is a Vegan restaurant.

@Newb I am lucky in that I had a head start on DS eating LONG before I even heard of the DS. I had type 2 insulin pump dependent diabetes and ate to my meter. Which meant I ate mostly protein and fat. One place that will help is any LCHF web site with recipes. The recipe forum here is another good option. And my lifeline was the online chapters of this book: http://www.diabetes-book.com/ Chapter 9 and 10 and he also includes recipes.

I had a hard time finding foods early on because some foods were too dense and frankly hurt to eat. It was really a good year out before I could eat a hamburger or a pork chop. Early on it was a bit of a struggle.

but nuts, cottage cheese, soups with meats in them and I add protein or cheese or sour cream to get protein count up and I like those flavors in many things, seafood (lobster, crab, shrimp and scallops....most fish especially salmon I couldn't do but can now)., lunch meat, tuna from a can and things like that.

Most everyone eats too many carbs. They are a cheap staple. I agree reading up on Atkins Induction is a great idea.

Breakfast is actually easy. 3 eggs fried in butter with cheddar cheese and salsa. If you have room for more, add bacon or sausage. Or last night's leftovers!

Grab and go foods. Try nuts and jerky!

Oh I forgot eggs and breakfast. Costco pre-cooked bacon is easy protein. For breakfast i eat 4 srambled eggs with half cup of cheese and two slices of deli ham or turkey every day. I also do a slice of oatnut toast with PB and j. Easy 60 grams of protein for me. The jelly doesn't bother me and I don't gain weight, but you could drop the jelly

Breakfast doesn't have to be breakfast food. Many a day when dh was helping at his cousin's office, I ate leftovers from the night before. Ribs are a really good breakfast food :)

Grab and go...nuts, jerky, hard boiled eggs, deviled eggs, a slice of cheese, deli meat, etc..

Lazy ideas...

Grab a pyrex-type custard cup. Butter the inside. Take a tablespoon or two of diced ham. Throw it into the cup. Scramble an egg. Pour it in. Stir. Grab a tablespoon or two of shredded cheese. Dump it on top. Put a paper towel on top and nuke it for about 30-45 seconds.

Unwrap a piece of string cheese. Divide it in half lengthwise. Wrap a piece of deli ham (the good stuff) around each piece of cheese. Done.

If you want to make ahead, make some deviled eggs.

Put a whole bunch of peanut (or almond) butter on a tiny bit of bread or toast.

Throw a tiny bit of butter into a small skillet. Heat a small tortilla (I use corn) on each side just to soften it. Take it out and do the same with a second tortilla. Once that one gets warm, dump a pile of any kind of cheese on top and them slap the other tortilla on top of the cheese. Lower the heat, and warm it all up until the cheese melts and the tortilla starts to get a little golden. Flip it over. Make sure it is warm throughout. Dump onto a plate. I use kitchen shears to cut into wedges. You could add bacon bits or ham or whatever. Takes longer to write it than to do it...lol

And so on.

I do the same with a corn tortilla but I butter one side of it putting butter side down in skillet then on top of that tortilla I put a heaping bunch of shredded 4 cheese Mexican blend....a bunch of cheese that I then spread out to edges of tortilla. Then I cook it until the cheese melts and overflows from the tortilla. By the time the cheese is all melted the bottom is very crispy but not burned, and the extra cheese that rund onto the pan carmalizes and you then have a killer cheese crisp....so a single tortilla cheese crisp that is crunchy and melted goodness ..i do 2 or even 3 at a time.

I also eat peanut or almond butter straight from a spoon. Ultra thin cheese slices (Colby Jack) and a piece of deli meat. ..1 for 1 and I repeat it.

The one thing I keep forgetting to do is deviled eggs because they will only last one half day at most because I would eat the whole batch in OR two sittings at most.

I also do a slice of toast with piece of cheese, sausage patty and then put a sunny side up or two eggs on top (break yolks and it is a delicious egg yolk gravy on your meat, cheese toast... Can use deli meat instead of sausage)

I eat Greek yogurt and always have dried edamame and almonds in my drawer at work.
I eat fish but not meat so do veggie burgers, sashimi (sushi without the rice), butter pan fried fish.
For breakfast I do protein shakes because I'm not a morning eater.
Go to GNC and they have protein chips that have few carbs if you really miss that sort of thing.
I also do Quest bars but some people have trouble with the sugar alcohol in them.

Thanks a bunch! Breakfast is what is really throwing me. I HATE mornings and can barely manage to pour coffee for myself, let alone cook. However, these are great suggestions. I guess the shift in thinking for me is the amount of meat I'll be eating. I don't eat a ton now, but I see that is about to change. Any help in the kitchen/ food preparation area is always appreciated. I really hate cooking!

Thanks a bunch! Breakfast is what is really throwing me. I HATE mornings and can barely manage to pour coffee for myself, let alone cook. However, these are great suggestions. I guess the shift in thinking for me is the amount of meat I'll be eating. I don't eat a ton now, but I see that is about to change. Any help in the kitchen/ food preparation area is always appreciated. I really hate cooking!
My first breakfast is yogurt (some carbs), a glass of raw milk (also some carbs), and butter coffee. Second breakfast is where I am finally awake and able to cook.

I am an odd duck in that I have to have carbs with each meal...or I end up with reactive hypoglycemia (documented in a GTT in 1992ish). An easy way to get second breakfast for me is Egg in a Hole (take a piece of bread and cut a hole in it (throwing that part away) using a glass or biscuit cutter. Place in fry pan with butter and once hot, crack an egg in the hole...flip when done enough.

meat, eggs, cheese, nuts, yogurts become staples

Latest posts

Back