Hi there!

Oh come on - your comment was the exact equivalent of this backhanded PA faint compliment that really isn't one. Lighten up.

I'm with @Pacifica on this one. There are certain topics that certain members get very outspoken on, in a way that until you're used to it, is pretty offensive. I get that the stated raisin d'être of the site is for some people to be "candid" and you're not supposed to get offended. However, the number of different ways I've seen people in some way or another called stupid is not supportive and makes the information given less likely to be assimilated.

I'm with @Pacifica on this one. There are certain topics that certain members get very outspoken on, in a way that until you're used to it, is pretty offensive. I get that the stated raisin d'être of the site is for some people to be "candid" and you're not supposed to get offended. However, the number of different ways I've seen people in some way or another called stupid is not supportive and makes the information given less likely to be assimilated.

Unfortunately that is the nature of ANY online forum. One must be able to sift the good advice and information from all the other BS. But as far as this place is concerned, the well-intentioned veterans know of what they speak (to a degree :whistling:) even if it occasionally comes across acidic.

Use your judgement and have a thick skin..........

Hi and welcome! I hope you have lots of success with your surgery. I had the DS and I am eight weeks out and 47 pounds down. I know the only choice for me was the DS, but research, research, research and ask questions.

A thick skin is very advisable around here. If someone really bothers you, just don't read stuff from that person. But remember, that person may have information you need either now or later on.

Yes, we are very heavily focused on the DS which is a 180 from most web forums who think of us as the unwanted red headed stepchild. We also believe in honesty...unfortunately that can be READ as mean/belligerent, etc.

However, once a person has surgery and is on the post op side, we fully support their decision. You would not believe how many people who have WLS and how many surgeons/medical staff even those who do WLS do NOT either know about the DS or think it's a bad surgery. We just want ACCURATE information out there. We also want people to make a fully informed decision IN THEIR own WLS cause they are the ones who have to live with it.

The thing about the SADI/LoopDS/SIPS (and WHY can't they agree on a name for it????), is that many surgeons are telling their patients that it is JUST like the DS...Dr. Jawad in FL is KNOWN to do that. Dr. Cottam has stopped doing the traditional DS and went to the SIPS and telling his patients it is like the DS or that it IS the DS.

The other issue is based on insurance. Medicare does NOT cover any surgery other than the LapBand, RNY, VSG, and the traditional DS. Surgeons who submit to insurance using the DS code (which is an oddball anyway) and then do the SADI are practicing insurance fraud. Esp those who have Medicare. Medicare didn't even cover the VSG until 27 July 2012 and many people were getting the VSG by then. They move SLOW.

I do know that a CA hospital has stopped letting the surgeons there, Dr. Coates, perform the SADi (etc) since they consider it experimental. Now, there IS a group in NC doing the SADI, etc under the study label at, I think, Duke...and for those people, they are being FULLY informed as to what is going on. @Txkat is one of that group.

@Pacifica you are aware of your options...just make sure YOU make the best decision for YOU! Don't let the surgeon dictate that option. Find your surgery THEN your surgeon. If the SADI is it, go for it. The DS is not for everyone. But you will find that most folks here have found it's the best for them and want everyone to know about it.

My name is Amy, I am 41 years old with a BMI to match, and am struggling with Diabetes T2, as well as some other health issues which are impacting my career as an attorney. So, I've decided to pursue bariatric surgery, and am scheduled for my procedure on the 24th of June. I'm ready to do the work and am excited to begin the journey toward getting my life and health back on track.

I've been reviewing so many studies relating to the various bariatric procedures as I was choosing mine, and it is nice to be able to learn from and speak to some real people to get personal perspectives, too! Thanks to everyone on here for your time and for sharing your stories.
Hiya Amy and welcome! You will find this website an invaluable tool in doing your research before and after whatever procedure you choose. It's also great for getting down with nutritional needs/lab info, etc. that you will need to be aware of for the rest of your life. As for thin thickness, it's always advisable on any message board. Cold words on a page often fail to adequately express wry humor, sarcasm, etc. and it's easy to misperceive someone's intent. Like Southern Lady said, read who ya like...but be careful not to allow personalities to dictate what information you deem important to you. My motto here is the same as with doctors: I'd MUCH rather have a competent asshat who speaks the truth to me, than some clown who smiles lovingly at me while blowing smoke up my keister. Just the facts ma'am, nothing but the facts. The intellectual prowess found on this board are second to no other...and I've checked them all. And ask yourself this VERY important question: why are these people who are 1,2,5,8,10,15 yrs post op bothering to post here at all?? They've had their success...they could ride off into the sunset and leave you to figure it all out if they wanted to. They post here as a community service because they want to help scared, confused, and often loney people who desperately need information and help. It's why I'm here after losing all my weight from the DS on 5/8/14 (224 lbs in a bit over a year! At target weight now.) So cut them slack and choose to not be easily offended is my advice. Listen and learn...and ask good questions! Virtually no topic is off limits related to bariatric surgeries and their before and after issues. The choice you make will be your own. The only surgery you'll ever hear me condemn...because it's worthy of condemnation...is the crap band because it should be banned as a dangerous and ineffective procedure IMO. The rest are worthy of consideration depending on individual factors, presentations, etc. Anyhoo...great having you!
:welcomeboard:

Latest posts

Back