Hi from AZ

Shanna

Hello all,

I've been reading through some of the forums and decided to make an account. I'm quite early in this journey of weight loss surgery and am still gathering information to decide on the surgery type. I was old by my PCP that the duodenal switch would be best for me given that I have PCOS but I feel like the experiences I've read about regarding that surgery has been mixed.

My mom had the gastric bypass about 10 years ago and she definitely seemed to struggle the first few years with how to eat. I don't think she received the best education for life post-surgery. So her experience really closed me off to the idea of WLS for myself. At the time I had lost about 80lbs, which put me half-way to my goal weight. I thought for sure I could keep going on my own. Then I started grad school... and gained 100lbs. Four years later I really haven't lost much of that weight and at 29 years old I feel like an old woman. I think I need to consider other tools toward weight loss, including surgery, so I'm keeping an open mind.

Currently I am in Arizona. I moved here from California for work. Funnily enough, I have not met with the bariatric group at HonorHealth (formerly Scottsdale Healthcare if anyone knows it) but I saw a review here of one of the docs that didn't exactly inspire confidence. So if anyone has input on their Scottsdale experience, I'd love to hear it!

Hi and welcome!

I am amazed and happy that your pcp 1) knew of the existence of the DS and 2) recommended it for you, and hopefully for other patients as well. Most docs outside the field of bariatric surgery don't even know that this surgery exists.
The DS has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery (note - it's not just weight loss surgery) for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. It is esp useful for people with metabolic issues, like type 2 diabetes or PCOS, as some operations, esp the purely or almost purely restrictive operations, don't address these issues. It's also best for people with a lot of weight to lose, though the "lightweights" do well with it also. So I do think with your PCOS that it would be a great choice for you.
I don't recall the specific surgeon review you are mentioning, but I can say that we've seen some bad stuff out of your state, and I would recommend if at all possible that you come back to CA for your surgery. However, I can't speak from personal experience about Scottsdale. Hopefully someone else can.

I think my PCP works closely with the bariatric group, so that helps! She said they do DS in two surgeries, which was totally confusing. Some posts here make it sounds like it should be one? They have a class coming up in a week that I plan to attend.

I hadn't considered going elsewhere for surgery. I work for the hospital so insurance coverage for the surgery and follow up is quite good. But certainly cheaper isn't necessarily better.

Welcome @Shanna

If it were me, I would find a way to get the DS and get it in ONE surgery.

I think they are doing it as two surgeries to try and avoid the second one. The VSG doesn't take nearly as long to do in the OR so they can do more. And if they end up needing to do the second part, they get paid again.

The less number of times you are in the OR the better. Great fan of one and done here.

Hi Shana, welcome! This is the right place to be. Read and learn all you can. I understand being turned off by your Mom's experience 10 years ago, but know that that have been many advances in medicine in those 10 years. For me the DS was the best choice - I had a lapband initially and that was a big old waste of money and time cuz it sure did not work. If you can, get the DS in one surgery- there are lots of good surgeons around you just need to find one that has done lots! The Vets on here can certainly help with that. good luck too you and we look forward to getting to know you on the journey.

There are a few - not many- people who need the DS done in 2 stages because of medical reasons that make it dangerous for them to spend extra time under general anesthesia. At your age, unless there is something we don't know about you, it is very unlikely that this is medically necessary for you. it would just mean 2 rounds of general anesthesia, 2 rounds of recovery, etc.
So why are they doing it that way? Either for more $$, or because they aren't good enough at it to do it all at once. Either way, not in YOUR best interests.
You would be much better off going to an experienced DS surgeon who does the operation in one stage, as it is meant to be done. And if they are implying that 2 stages is routine, shame on them!

though, I guess it is routine in their hands, from what you are saying.

Hello and welcome. I am glad you found us. I had the DS 12 weeks ago tomorrow. I wouldn't change it for the world, I wish I could have done it when I was 29. I know when I started my journey, I was told some horrible things about the DS, too. But I had some people that are close to me have it and I saw their results so I knew what I was getting. Read everything you can and educate yourself.

This site has some wonderful information and some wonderful people to help you along the way.

Latest posts

Back