New member 10 years out from DS

DoctorMary123

Hello, my name is Mary and I had the DS done by Dr John Rabkin in 2013. I lost 120# and also lost my diabetes and hypertension. I regained 50 # with prednisone for asthma and Covid but have lost 60# with the help of a keto diet and Ozempic low dose. I am 5’6” and weigh 150#. I am 71 years old and feel amazing. I am able to help care for my 4 grandchildren, can walk up to 10-15k steps a day, swim and do yoga. My sleep apnea has improved, but still need CPAP.
My husband also had the DS 9 years ago and has maintained his 120# weight loss.

Welcome DoctorMary123
We don’t often have part of a DS couple show up. I’m one, my husband and I are 5 weeks apart, he had his Dec 2010, I was in Jan 2011.

Yeah, he still needs his cpap as well. So it happens.

Welcome! I will probably always need a CPAP as well, but at least the PSI I need has improved.

Hello & Welcome, Mary, congratulations to you & your husband for having had such good results.

:rainbowwelcome:

DoctorMary123

So awesome to see you here. :)

So all, let me tell you how amazing Mary is. She is the best, just the best, and we are so lucky to have her here.

So, as you might remember, my story was I wanted the DS. Mary was at Dr. Rabkin's group when I went. I was scared and did not believe anything would work. Dr. Mary was at that group and I decided that day, because of the amazing group and a Dr. had the DS, it was right for me. But, alas, Insurence would only cover 10K and would not cover Dr. Rablin. After spending time with all of you wonderful people, I decided to go to the Mexicali Bariatric Center - mostly thought the great vexing of people here about the center. But I needed aftercare, and my PCP said she would not do it.

I asked someone who the Dr. was at Dr. Rabkin's group and they said Dr. Mary was at One Medical. I went in to see her a scared 264 pounds, with every co-morbidity in the world and I thought i was going to die soon because of diabetes. I asked Mary if she remembered me and told her what I wanted to do. She did remember me, and she is not taking new patients on, but she would take me on. I left her office and so relieved I found aftercare.

Dr. Mary took care of me after Mexico, and I always suspected, Dr Rabkin helped out on the side with Mary by looking at my yearly labs).

Dr, Mary has been such an essential and wonderful part of my journey along with everyone here.

I'm am so grateful to everyone here for the support over the last seven years and for Dr. Mary's wonderful care. The new life I live today is because of Mary and everyone here. I can not express how grateful I am. I still have such strong memories of that 264-pound, super sick person who tried every diet and yoyoed over 400 pounds in 40 years and had no idea what to do.

Dr. Mary, it's so good to see you here and welcome to this amazing and supportive group of people.

Beth

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back