Hernia Repair

CaraOC

Credentialed Bitch
So tomorrow I'm having abdominal hernia repair. I'm not thrilled to not be having the abdominoplasty at the same time But I couldn't swing it for right now so it will go on my wish list with the twenty other things I want done. Was wondering how the post op period will go after the mesh repair? Any idea how much time I should expect to be off work?

Good luck tomorrow - I hope you get some relief and that your recovery is easy. Stay ahead of the pain! Cut the tablets in half and take them twice as often, if that helps (that's what I do).

So tomorrow I'm having abdominal hernia repair. I'm not thrilled to not be having the abdominoplasty at the same time But I couldn't swing it for right now so it will go on my wish list with the twenty other things I want done. Was wondering how the post op period will go after the mesh repair? Any idea how much time I should expect to be off work?
Oh, Cara! I had forgotten that you suffered from a hernia also. I'm glad you're getting it fixed. I hope it goes easily for you, kiddo.

Haven't had hernia repair (I had LBL with abdominoplasty 6 weeks ago) so have no advise specifically about that but I wish you an uneventful surgery and swift recovery.

I could have gone back to a desk job at 2-3 weeks but as a nurse if you are on your feet all day and helping patients to take walks (hmm or are you the one in neonatal icu?) I would have needed 4 weeks. I would assume mesh hernia repair is similar.

Hope you have a power recliner (and lift chair) at home as that made the first week much easier for me. (No way could I have gotten up in my tall bed.) As a nurse you know to stay ahead of the pain. But beware of opioid constipation, esp with abdominal surgery! I ended up in ER 4 days after surgery with impaction. If you don't poop by 10 am every day, take Miralax or Ducolax. May the poop be with you, Obi Wan.

I had a hernia repair with abdominalplasty in 2001. The abdominalplasty was horrible but since you are not having that part I'm not sure how it will be. Out of curiosity is the dr doing it lap or open. I was on the internet yesterday looking at a component separation with mesh surgery and seen a couple done lap. I didn't know that was an option

Best of luck! Take as much time off work as you need to recover.

I couldn't afford the panniculectomy at the same time as mine, so I get your feelings about that part. Just get through this for now.

Expect to be pretty out of it for at least a week, more like two. I started back to work at 16 days post-op but really took it very easy (I work from home 3 days a week and my supervisor let me flex the whole week that first one back). I have a mostly sedentary job.

You're going to hurt when you wake up. Bad. Take the pain meds. Take the pain pump if they offer it. Find out how many hours apart you are allowed meds and ask early-ish so the nurses have it ready for you when it is time. seriously. Drink water. Walk when you can, expecting it to hurt like holy hell to even breathe for the first couple of days. Cry, bite your tongue, take your meds, and move around. It will help in the long run.

Make sure they're giving you colace and ask for Miralax if you tend toward constipation, for the opiate induced constipation.

Good luck! and keep us posted on your recovery.

Thank you everyone for kind words of support!! My experience has been pretty awful so far. So I had the surgery at a free standing surgery center. My surgeon was very nice. I was discharged post op and my friend drove me home. Within an hour of being home my daughter was so concerned about my responsiveness she put me in an uber and took me to the ER. I have no memory of leaving the surgery center to be honest. The ER put me on a monitor and oxygen. I had low oxygen saturation and depressed respirations. They kept me overnight on the monitor and sent me home in the morning. I'm well pissed they sent me home after surgery without being properly recovered. Now I'm looking at the ER expense in addition. I'm scared to take the pain meds now in case I stop breathing and it's bloody painful!! I'm sticking with Advil for now !!!

Oh crap! Did you contact the surgeon? Do you need different effective pain meds that don't suppress your respiration? Now that the anesthesia is out of your system, can you try the more effective meds again (with someone there to supervise)?

Latest posts

Back