Hello

Lee

Hi everyone. I'm still in research phase of this potential journey.

Like most here, I've struggled with weight all my life (otherwise we wouldn't be here I guess). I've been able to lose 5 or 10 lbs here and there. One time I even lost 50 lbs. But it came back, and brought some friends too. However, I always believed that because I was physically capable of losing weight, that WLS wasn't for me. Or that since I could lose weight through diet and exercise, that's what I HAD to do. No taking 'the easy way' out.

However, I guess with some age comes maturity, and I've come to appreciate the cliche (not to offend anyone at all) about WLS being "a tool." I started realizing I needed something more to help me than just my failing willpower. And it occurred to me that maybe WLS could be something I could or should look into. Just because I physically was capable of losing weight, emotionally and mentally I know that I will always always struggle with my weight my whole life, unless I get something to help me. I know this for sure.

The thought of being able to live my life without my weight being the first thing in my mind every day.. well it seems like it would be such a relief. I'm 32, I don't want to spend the next decade of my life fighting myself and accumulating more comorbidities (diabetes, HBP, PCOS are enough, thanks) before I finally look into this. Why not do it now, when I have insurance that covers it fully with almost no out of pocket expense, and spend the next decade changing my life and then really living it!

I was the head researcher and caregiver for my mother when she went through RNY maybe 10 years, so I feel like I have a lot of information and first-hand experience already with that particular surgery type. But there's always more to learn. I haven't looked into and of the other surgery types, so will be curious to learn more.

I've been a member of another group on other sites, but all they seem to want to do is post selfies all day, often in their underwear or down their cleavage. I'm just looking for info. I do love a good before/after, but if I wanted NSFW stuff, I'd go looking for it.

So anyhow, I will mostly be browsing around learning at this point. Thanks to all of you for sharing your info and experiences.

Hi and welcome, Lee! Almost all of us here have been betrayed by our bodies' super-efficient metabolisms and can relate to diets and exercise failing us in the long run. I count the DS as one of the best decisions I have ever made, so I'd highly recommend researching it. :)

Hi and welcome, Lee! I had to look up NSFW. That's a good one.

It's great that you're researching your options. Given that you have diabetes (I'm assuming type 2, though you didn't say) and PCOS I would say the DS is far and away your best option. Of course, as another new person pointed out yesterday there are folks here who are bubbling red hot for the DS and I am one of those people, but there really are good reasons for this recommendation.
First, the DS has the best statistics of any presently available bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintenance of that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. Specifically, it has by far the best rate of permanent resolution of type 2 diabetes, a terrible disease in and of itself. With gastric bypass, some people do get permanent resolution, but others just get a "vacation" for a few years and then the diabetes comes back.
another reason in your case is PCOS. PCOS affects your metabolism and makes it very difficult to lose and keep off weight. The DS has the most metabolic changes of any bariatric surgery to help you with this. Gastric bypass has some metabolic improvement but not nearly as much. VSG and lap band have none.
the DS also has the best rate of resolution for high blood pressure.

So all in all, if you are willing to accept the lifetime commitment to taking the vitamins needed to maintain good nutritional health and eating lots of protein, the DS is a great choice for you. The vitamins are crucial but I haven't found taking them to be difficult. You get into a daily routine with them, just like brushing your teeth is part of your daily routine.

In your state (Oregon) there are no DS surgeons. You would need to travel, either south to Dr. Rabkin in San Francisco or north to Dr. Srikanth in WA. The travel is well worth the effort to get medical treatment that you will live with for the rest of your life, IMHO.

And just a side note, I call these operations bariatric surgery and not weight loss surgery. Of course we follow the numbers on the scale, but this is about so much more than those numbers. It's about your metabolic health, nutritional health, and quality of life.

Welcome @Lee
Taking the step to get bariatric surgery is a huge step. Take your time, read everything you can here (we are big on factual studies) and yes, we are "bubbling red hot" in favor of the DS on this forum but we also realize that the DS is not for everyone.

Thanks Hilary, and Larra thank you for the good info and tips. I've noticed that DS seems to be a hot topic here, which is part of why I had signed up. To learn more. I hadn't really researched the 'type' of surgery to have. I figured I would just get whatever 'they' said I could or should get. Because I have Kaiser, I'm not sure what sort of coverage or support I would have to have DS. I will looking into it. But thanks for the specifics!

I have watched my mom rebound off of gastric bypass. Her life now is similar to her life before surgery. She's kind of the stereotype of losing a LOT of weight, but then gaining back. Now she's about 150 at about 5'2". Still much better than before, and I'm sure she doesn't regret it. But she still eats whatever she wants--which is to say very poorly. I definitely don't want to see her get any heavier and have more health risks come back. I want her around for as long as possible! But it's impossible to get her to eat well and stop drinking diet soda. Well that's all a different story. I guess my initial point was that I have seen the entire sad story unfold, and I of course want something better for myself.

Well, off to read more! Thanks again for the welcome.

I figured I would just get whatever 'they' said I could or should get. Because I have Kaiser, I'm not sure what sort of coverage or support I would have to have DS. I will looking into it. But thanks for the specifics!
Do NOT let someone else decide what YOU can live with. All THEY have to do is approve (insurance) or preform (surgeon) the surgery. YOU have to live with it 24/7 the REST of your life. Think twice, CUT ONCE.

Thanks southernlady, that's what I have come to appreciate.

I have my very first meeting with my pcp to discuss this option. She's a new doctor I haven't met yet, so I have no idea how she will respond to me bringing up bariatric surgery. I am afraid she will just dismiss it out of hand. Then I'm not sure what to do. Bounce from dr to dr til I get the answer I want? I hate to be 'that' person. Anyhow, I am just trying to visualize a successful, positive conversation. And trying to be informed before I go in.

Welcome Lee I had ERNY in 2000 and lost 230. Over time I gained 100 pounds back and became diabetic again. I was a terrible diabetic insulin dependant 8 shots a day. I had my endo. Dr cell number and had to call him with out of range numbers so he would tell me what extra to take. Well 13 years later my diabetes reared it's ugly head again. I had never heard of a ds. Well I'm glad I did in hopes diabetes will not return.

Do what's best for you and what you want. I think a lot of doctors are such big supporters of some of the inferior surgeries because they don't have the skill and practice yet on doing the DS.

Good luck!

Where are you? In CA, SoCal Kaiser has a DS surgeon (Belzberg); in NorCal, Kaiser has a contract with Rabkin. You will still have to fight for it (unless your BMI is >50 in NorCal), but you will almost certainly win.

@DianaCox she's in Oregon. Remember, they have Kaiser there too. I have no idea what the system there is for bariatric surgery, though I'm sure they have some kind of system. But we know there are no DS surgeons anywhere in Oregon, so I have no idea how trying to get insurance coverage will go.

Latest posts

Back