Hello!

beachymom

Hi, I am Karen and I am meeting next week with a bariatric surgeon to start my wls journey. I am thinking that I would like the duodenal switch. I love learning so I have been trying to find out all I can about this whole process. I am happy to be here and look forward to "meeting" everyone!

Hi, Karen.

Just a bit of a warning: if the surgeon you are seeing is not an experienced DS surgeon, s/he will either NOT mention it or tell you it is far too dangerous.

We have lists here of vetted DS surgeons, OR if you tell us what state you’re in, we can tell you where the nearest KNOWN DS surgeons are.

Welcome,

Sue

Hi, Karen.

Just a bit of a warning: if the surgeon you are seeing is not an experienced DS surgeon, s/he will either NOT mention it or tell you it is far too dangerous.

We have lists here of vetted DS surgeons, OR if you tell us what state you’re in, we can tell you where the nearest KNOWN DS surgeons are.

Welcome,

Sue
Gosh, I didn't realize that! My consultation is with Dr. Roc Bauman in Concord, NC. I'm act

Hi, Karen.

Welcome,

Sue
Gosh! I didn't realize that. My consultation is with Dr. Roc Bauman in Concord, NC. I actually live 2 hours away in Boone, NC.

He is a known DS surgeon. But he may be with the group making very long common channels. You want to verify that and if he says anything over 250, tell him you want no longer than that.

Welcome! Dr. Sudan is very well regarded, but even there, you want to be careful about the common channel length issue. IMHO 250 cm is too long for most people. The whole point of bypassing part of the small intestine is to create permanent malabsorption of fat and, to a lesser extent, protein. Without significant malabsorption, you have something closer to just the sleeve gastrectomy, with some benefit, certainly, but also higher risk of regain. I have a "cookie cutter" DS with a 100 cm cc, and that has worked great for me. Of course, YMMV, and of even more importance, you need to be comfortable with what you get regardless of how I would feel about it.

Latest posts

Back