Hello, I am about to have my lap band removed. Any advice? My band has slipped.

Hi and welcome. I had my band removed In a revision to DS. You're in the right place for lots of experienced people to share their experience and knowledge. Be sure to explore the lapband forum too.

Hey @Lokie glad you are here - are you having your band as part of a revision or just giving the band up at this point? I know I was glad to have that sucker gone - port included. Since I had a revision to DS too there is not a comparison to a lapband removal. I'll tag @Amey - she had her lapband out and can address any specific questions you have. Good luck!

Thank you for the welcome. Since the band slipped, I just want it out. I am not ready for revision because it scares me too much. I will try this first.
Surgery is in four days, so I am going to do a four day fast using Protein shakes. Doc doesn't know but I think it will help shrink my liver. I had a liver scan done in Sept and the size was "normal." My liver enzymes are elevated.

Just a note...and probably too late...but:

-getting the band is one surgery, covered by insurance on many policies;
-getting the band removed because of a slip or erosion is usually covered by insurance;
-getting a one-step revision band-to DS or band-to-VSG because of a slip is fairly likely, although a fight is sometimes required, to be covered since they have to be there anyway to remove the band;
-but...getting the band, then having it removed in a second surgery, then having a whole new third surgery is OFTEN excluded, as many policies limit the insured to one bariatric surgery per lifetime...regardless of which company covered previous procedures.

So...you've got to have it out, for sure. But make sure you are scared enough that you will hever want another bariatric surgery or rich enough to cover a future procdure. For the record, many of us here have had the revision in one-step. My band-out-DS-done was a two hour procedure...not much longer than just having the band removed.

Now, @DianaCox can tell us if I have misinterpreted what insurance companies cover.

Welcome,

Sue

Last edited:
Hi and welcome!
You're not ready for a revision because you're too scared. That's probably why you had the lap band in the first place - too scared for anything more "invasive". So tell us, how did that work out for you??
That's how lap band is sold, it's "less invasive" and "reversible", and you can go right back to work, etc etc. Somehow, the fact that it has the highest rate of reoperation, usually not for a slip like you have but just because it doesn't work, is not emphasized. And we've met people over the years who had their bands removed but had damage from the band that didn't go away. In other words, it was removable, but not truly reversible. It's just a gadget, and there is a company that manufacturers it, and if no one buys it they don't make any money.
Of course you need to have the band removed, no question about it. But if you are still MO, having had a failed lap band (and note that it was the band that failed and not you) will not change anything about what made you MO and kept you MO. Unless you are willing to deal with your fears about real bariatric surgery, nothing will change.

Welcome! What Sue said. I was a band to sleeve revision done in one procedure and covered by insurance. Might be wise to postpone, do your research and decide which surgery is right for you, and then do a conversion if you decide to give WLS another try.
I am very happy with my revision to sleeve and several on here have revised to DS and are very successful. Again, welcome and best of luck.

Please look into the diabetes benefits of each surgery. This might be of great interest to you and the stats are pretty amazing. One of my major motivators. Not to mention sleep apnea, arthritis and a shit load of others

Hi @Lokie... I had my band out in September after 5 years of living with the beast. My bsnd didn't slip. My body had rejected it. Since then I have found out In allergic to the silicone in cpap masks so I'm wondering if the silicone in the band was part of the reason I had so many problems. I was in constant pain, most days I couldn't swallow my own spit... Other days I could eat my way through a grocery store. My body had rejected the port and surrounded it in a cyst. I was always tired, I threw up even when I could eat. I always felt like I had a knife with a dull ache in my back. When the surgeon took out my band she found that the band was stuck to my liver and she had to cut off part of my liver.... And the tubing had actually gone through my liver. So.... My liver took a beating getting my band out... And it was pissed as hell. My liver enzymes were high before and went higher after surgery from the damage. My labs a few weeks ago finally show my liver enzymes are coming down... And my iron is going up.... So it's working yayyyy!! I don't touch tylenol or alcohol... I need a healthy liver!

I wanted to do a DS revision at the same time but due to the damage to my liver there was no way it could have been done at the same time. I have been denied twice by my insurance for the DS. I now have a final appeal pending with the Idaho Department of Insurance. Yes... I'm an ideal world I would have had my band removed and the DS in the same surgery. But... Even if I don't get the DS I know that I'm healthier without my band. Yes I have gained all my weight back and then some. But I don't have the beast killing me anymore. If you have any questions just ask.

Hi and welcome @Lokie. I'm so sorry that you have a slipped band and I hope you get relief from all ill effects with its removal. I'd echo the above notes that revision is probably warranted and would be ideally performed in the same procedure as the band removal, but respect your decision whether or not to postpone. Best wishes and keep us posted on how you are doing!

Latest posts

Back