hello! Blind loop Syndrome

Why doesn't your doctor "like" Flagyl? Is it because he thinks there is a cancer risk? That was debunked a LONG time ago. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9502459

It is somewhat hard to imagine that you have several actual blind loops - that doesn't make sense to me. It is important to understand that what "blind loop syndrome" means is different from what it sounds like - there are rarely any actual "loops" of bowel involved, but rather a portion of the bowel where the food or other contents is not moving properly - the contents are stagnant for some reason, creating an environment where bacteria can overgrow: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/blind-loop-syndrome/basics/causes/con-20024503 So I'm not sure how multiple "blind loops" were detected.

I concur that that you need to go see Dr. Keshishian if there is any possible way to manage it.

I think @DianaCox makes a very good point, that being that you probably don't have a true blind loop, but, given how many surgeries you have had, possible damage to the nerves that control the muscle layer in the intestines that propels stuff forward, there could be a portion of intestine where food isn't moving through properly. Stagnant is just the right word. I think this is a separate problem from what sounds like a stricture at the stoma - the connection between the pouch and the small intestine created when you had your gastric bypass - that required multiple dilations done with all those endoscopies.
I have no idea whether or not another surgery would help you, but agree with the advice you got from @DSRIGGS to collect all your records, esp the surgical reports from all the surgeries, and contact Dr. Keshishian. He has helped many people with very complex problems, which is what it sounds like you have at this point.

Peggy it sounds like you have been through quite the ordeal and I certainly feel for you. Please get all your surgical and egd records together and reach out to Dr Ara Keshshian for a review. Dr k specializes in the DS surgery but as I mentioned in another post, if there is a special case where abnormal things are going on with the gut he will give that person the best possible chance at fix for that intestinal dilemma. Reach out to him at dssurgery.com where you will find the email and phone contact information, and explain your case and ask for him to review your records. He is in glendale, CA but don't let that get in the way. If you talk to them and he agrees to look at your records you can send them and he can piece things together to figure out what is going on that is causing your issues.

Dr K in my opinion is the best outside the box thinker, diagnostician and surgeon in the world when it comes to bariatric surgery. He has completed over 2,000 DS procedures with over 500 of those being very complicated revision surgeries. He did a non weight loss surgery on my son to fix his severe gastroparesis with a pretty simple solution that saved his stomach. Another surgeon wanted to completely remove 90% of his stomach.... Dr k is the best person to review your case and records to see if a solution can be found.

I will be frank in that if you had 3 revisions and don't know exactly what was done, you have a potentially very flupped up GI system and you need a person of Dr K's ability to look at your system to diagnose what exactly is happening to cause your issues and hopefully he can propose a fix. If there is a solution he will identify it for you.

I really appreciate your help and will definitely consider this option. I did check out his web site and he looks to be very knowledgeable. I can't just jump ship on the Dr. I have as of yet. We are just getting into how much bacteria if any I still have and I feel I need to follow through with him for now. I sure do appreciate this information though and if things don't change I would certainly take a hard look at either Dr. K and the Mayo clinic in Rochester.
I will keep you posted as to what we find out after the tests this week.

thanks again for your input!!

Peggy

Latest posts

Back