Hello and Approval

zmp2018

Just wanted to say "hi" to everyone on the forums! I have been lurking for a while, and now I am deciding to step out of the shadows and introduce myself.

My name is Zach, and I am currently scheduled to have gastric bypass surgery. I considered WLS back in September 2015 and started doing a lot of research on my own. I was also introduced to the wonderful world of insurance and learned how not all insurance policies are the same! I attended a class at my local barbaric center on October 14, 2015 and met my surgeon and familiarized myself with the process.

After that first class, the journey finally began. My six-month diet did not commence until December 2015 (it's always a bitch trying to get an appointment with my PCP). I also had to get a sleep evaluation, psychological evaluation, and an upper GI. Honestly, when I attended that meeting back in October, I was overwhelmed at all the stuff I had to accomplish, and I felt like I would not last during the six-month diet. Fortunately, I stuck with it, and I finished it this past Monday, June 13th. My surgeon's insurance coordinator submitted my paperwork the same day, and I was approved for surgery the very next day. I cannot tell you how excited I was to get that phone call to schedule a date.

My surgery date is July 12th, and I'm beyond excited. As a 20-year-old male going on 21 (YAY, I get to start my liquid diet four days before my 21st birthday!) and at my heaviest weight ever, I am ready for this surgery. I have been off and on WW, and I have had limited success. I know this surgery is merely a tool for weight loss, but I know how effective this tool can be, and I hope I can use the most of it to my advantage.

Sorry for the rambling; I'm still in awe that my insurance process was relatively simple. I look forward to reading more of what you all have to say!

Hello and welcome zach.

Did you you look at the DS at all? I am interested in why you decided on the Gastric Bypass instead of the DS. The RnY gbp has about 50% expected weight loss at 5 years and the DS is closer to 80%.....and you never have to diet again with the DS or worry about dumping syndrome.

Hello and welcome.

After lurking here, I am surprised you are choosing to have Gastric bypass. There is no-one here that would recommend that particular surgery over the VSG or DS. Most of the Gastric bypass patients that come here are looking to revise to the DS. Do you have a specific problem that precludes the VSG or the DS?

I hope you have seriously considered all of the options for bariatric surgery.

I am glad you found your way here.

Hello and welcome!

I know you are on your final countdown to the RNY surgery but please reconsider this surgery. I know you'll hear from some that the RNY is the "gold standard" -- a marketing term, not a medical term -- but there is irreversible butchery involved and I do not wish that for you or anyone.

This surgery will permanently excise your pylorus (a very important valve), and leave you with what could be debilitating dumping syndrome, a blind limb (the remnant stomach, which cannot be scoped to check for disease), and less than ideal resolution of co-morbidities.

Worse? Studies show that the RNY is ineffective for LONG TERM weight loss. And long L-O-N-G term success is what YOU want and NEED. You are a very young man and need a surgery that will last you the 65 years of life you have ahead of you. The only surgery that will give you such a chance of success is the DS (a real DS with two anastomoses).

It is very likely that the reason your surgeon recommended this surgery and not the DS is that he doesn't know how to do the DS. If you go into a Chevy dealership, the salesman is not going to recommend a Mercedes. This means you will need to find another surgeon. Let us help you find another.

If you cannot get the DS for some reason, please consider the sleeve. Not that the restriction of the sleeve will help much a few years out, but rather that it will be relatively simple to add the switch at a later date. (IF your insurance allows for a second weight loss surgery in one's lifetime; many do not.)

I suspect after reading all this you are thinking you want to go ahead with the RNY because, well, it's SOMETHING, right? But please don't. You have one big chance to get this right -- right for the short term AND the long term. Think twice, cut once.

Latest posts

Back