Further to the Ettie-Quetti post

DianaCox

Bad Cop
OMFG. This relates to http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/ettie-quettie-query.551/ - but I figured I'd better bury it in R&R.

My stepdaughter's in-laws live nearby. She (P) and her husband (CJr) moved in with them in their 3 or 4 bedroom house a couple of months before the baby was born in June 2012. CSr is CJr's dad; L is CJr's stepmother - who never had kids of her own. CJr is CSr's only kid.

CSr and L are both WLS patients. CSr had diabetes and had RNY; L had VSG. They are both exceedingly non-compliant - mostly because they are alcoholics. At around the time that the kids moved in with them CSr was "separated" from his long-term high level job with a defense contractor (he is about 10 yrs younger than me), apparently with a huge buyout. His DL was suspended at the time for DUIs. I don't know the terms or what happened or whether he know where skeletons were buried, but he does not intend to work again. L works for the county as some sort of "green business" inspector - she' s always out and about while she's "on the job." Her mother died of Alzheimer's last year, and there was a big inheritance from that.

The two of them post on FB INCESSANTLY - multiple times a day - about the restaurants they eat almost every meal at, and the bars and wineries they hop around at every afternoon and evening - weekdays, weekends - doesn't matter. They must spend in excess of $1000/week eating and drinking out. Seriously - probably more, because they have very high-end tastes in wines and restaurants.

We started out with a not-very-good impression of CSr and L before we met - which was only a few months before the baby was born - long story, but P and CJr got married against our advice and behind our backs at CSr & L's house, a few miles from our house - and we not only didn't KNOW they were getting married, they were abetted behind our backs by CSr and L. We have some lingering unresolved resentment that CSr didn't man up and call Charles and tell him that he was going to support the kids getting married, and didn't want to do it behind the bride's father's back (yes, that was mostly P and CJr's fault, but would you do what CSr did without attempting to contact the bride's father?).

When we finally met them, our impression was not improved - because they are - to put it mildly - "party animals" who get shitfaced at every function, and they hang out with others who do the same thing. Neither Charles or I are teetotallers, but they are obnoxious when they are drunk, which is most of the time we have experienced them socially. We have begged off of as many invitations as possible at their house without seeming completely assholic, because the entire time we are there, they are pressing alcohol on us and teasing us for being pussies about not drinking much.

Last April, P and CJr got sick of living with CSr and L's alcoholism and related crap at their house. They moved into our basement for several months, until they (and the baby) and my daughter rented a house across the street. (CSr and L were charging them rent too!).

My theory is that both CSr and L believe they are doomed to not live long lives - CSr because of his diabetes and L because of Alzheimers. L is MO again, and CSr most likely is already diabetic again, based on his drinking and eating that I've seen. So they are spending money like it's water while they can (and of course, not that they don't have the right - CJr's inheritance).

With that background - and the fact that (obviously) I'm FB friends with CSr and L (and thus I see all their postings) - this morning L posted a link to a job posting for an internship at the county department where K (did you wonder when this would tie into the previous post??) works. And I suddenly realized that both L and K are involved in county "green" initiatives.

I sent L a PM and asked her if she knew K - and not only do they know each other, L has known K for YEARS - knows her really well - they work together. L can't wait to let K know they are "step-relatives" - especially since I spilled the beans that they now live in the area (they used to live 50 miles from here).

Holy fuck. CSr and L could not BE more polarly socially opposite (loud drunks) from K and D (who are refined, snobby and quiet). I can now see that there are going to be expectations on L's part of JOINT social/family events. CSr and L have met my father and S (David's mother) several times, with L never knowing that S was related to K, of course.

D & K are going to be PISSED. Especially K - who now is going to have to deal with L being overly familiar based on this contrived "family" relationship in their working relationship. And I am going to be kind of amused. We're going to look good in comparison, AND they are going to have excuses to not socialize that have nothing to do with us - even though we rarely invite CSr and L to our house (yes, they get drunk here too - and always suck down the GOOD booze).

And another story I just learned from Charles this afternoon:

CSr has used his copious free time, money and interest in the restaurant business to invest (with the chef and others) in a new restaurant that is opening in the same shopping center where my son's G/F F works as a waitress/bartender, which is a medium upscale restaurant. CSr is hanging around there ALL.THE.F'ING.TIME sticking his nose into the remodeling of the space for the opening scheduled for late spring. And then he hangs out at the restaurant where F works - and gets drunk there, and harasses F (I'm sure he thinks it's funny) for not being "attentive" enough (because she's kind of family and "owes" him), criticizes the food, etc., and basically PISSES F off totally.

There is SOOO much fun in store for us this summer!

CSr has used his copious free time, money and interest in the restaurant business to invest (with the chef and others) in a new restaurant that is opening in the same shopping center where my son's G/F F works as a waitress/bartender, which is a medium upscale restaurant. CSr is hanging around there ALL.THE.F'ING.TIME sticking his nose into the remodeling of the space for the opening scheduled for late spring. And then he hangs out at the restaurant where F works - and gets drunk there, and harasses F (I'm sure he thinks it's funny) for not being "attentive" enough (because she's kind of family and "owes" him), criticizes the food, etc., and basically PISSES F off totally.

Diana, are you SURE we aren't related?????

My stepmother who has more money than G-D (OUISER BOUDREAUX in Steel Magnolias The only reason people are nice to me is because I have more money than God). Back in October a very upscale restaurant opened up in town. I honestly do not believe a "bistro" of this caliber will succeed in this town. It has a very odd menu for this area. Anyway, my stepmother was VERY involved in helping them get open...dh and I decided she had a monetary interest in it. Most successful restaurants here in town are the breakfast diners and a pizza place.

TBH, I didn't know someone could ruin a steak but they managed it...

Diana, shoot you have your hands full. Good luck it wouldn't be long before I would loose it and tell them pull their lips over their heads and die. That's a soap opera not something a normal human should deal with regularly.

I assume CSr is trying to find something to do with his time where he can pretend to be "an expert" and have the respect that his former job gave him (due to the power of his business position and expense account - I think he was in sales or negotiations for BIG defense contracts) - but all he is now is deep pockets to the chef, who is probably questioning whether the money is worth it about now. CSr has bought himself a "celebrity" chef (lower case "c"s), and is probably writing off all the visits to wineries as well - researching "stocking" the restaurant.

The thing is, except for other alkies, or people too stupid/impressed by their generosity/spendthriftiness, they are not fooling anyone - and they may seem like fun people at first, they just look kinda pathetic drunks after you get to know them. He's spending money at F's restaurant - so she can't say anything, even though she (and the other staff) find him obnoxious. At first, she was thinking about applying for a job at the new restaurant when it opens - now she doesn't want to have anything to do with it, because CSr is probably going to be holding court in the place every night when it opens, being loud and drinking the profits and being obnoxious to the waitstaff there - AND would be marginally her employer. Wisely, she is reconsidering what THAT might be like.

Charris - you crack me up. There may yet be one day that something like that happens. His own son can't stand to be around him when he drinks. And Charles does NOT like being teased, especially by a drunk bully who thinks his money makes him better than others. And if they both get to drinking one day - the truth may come out in an ugly (but VERY satisfying) way.

In the meantime, we're co-grandparents. Meh. And D is my almost step-brother, K is his wife, and our parents are growing old together - probably.

Latest posts

Back