Field trip to the ER

Hey, I made the diagnosis from thousands of miles away!
This has NOTHING to do with alcohol or gallstones in your case. It's from your pancreas being bruised/irritated in some way during your surgery. In the USA, pancreatitis is almost always from gallstones or alcohol, so docs forget that there are actually lots of other things that can cause it but are just much less common. Surgery, drug reactions... sometimes no reason is ever found.
Low fat is not the answer at this early stage. The answer is bowel rest, meaning either nothing by mouth or just clear fluids depending on how sick you are, an IV if you can't stay hydrated (which or course means being admitted) and sometimes antibiotics. The pain, as you know, is a sign if illness, so if it persists that means you need to be in the hospital, like it or not, NOT just to feel better with pain meds but because you are sick and that's where you need to be. So, if you are not feeling better, bite the bullet and stay in the hospital. Pancreatitis is a serious disease with a 10% mortality rate.

I agree completely. Luckily the Dr agreed too which is why she said she thinks mine was caused by the surgery and she talked to the surgeon who agreed.
I would definitely have stayed if she had insisted on it, but she said she felt sending me home with Dr f/u would be ok. I promise I'll go back if it gets worse. So far today has been great. Minimal pain. Only slight nausea (more of an aversion to food). So yay, hope this means I'm getting better.

And my husband carries a copy in his wallet.

And...print out a couple copies of this. On one copy, cross out all the info that relates only to "the other surgeries." TAKE IT WITH YOU TO THE ER.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/publicASMBS/ASMBS_Store/ASMBS_ER_Poster9-20-10.pdf

Let's see if it is visible here...

ASMBS_ER_Poster9-20-10.pdf
OMG, this is truly awesome. Thank you so much. I will definitely be utilizing this.

Thank you, Ms. Spiky. This is now on my hard drive under file AND name I can find quickly. I think I've seen this before, even maybe here, yet I had no idea where I saved it. Might have bookmarked it yet my mind that used to be like a steel trap is slowly becoming a rusty sieve.

Wow, I didn't get on this weekend so I just saw your post. I am so sorry that you had to deal with that nurse. I know it's a bit extreme, but you can ask for a different nurse if the one assigned to you is a problem. After my second child, I had a nurse who tried to lecture me about the evils of breast feeding. As soon as she went off-shift (which was the next morning as she was the night nurse), I told the new nurse that I did not want the other one assigned to me again. Period. I never saw the woman for the two remaining days I was in the hospital. I know that you are already home, but keep this in mind if you have to go back to the hospital.

I'm glad that you have a better idea what is happening, and that you are slowly getting better.

This sounds just like me. No stones, but something had caused a back up and injury to my pancreas. So glad they are at least in the right rabbit hole for now!!

Did it
Wow, I didn't get on this weekend so I just saw your post. I am so sorry that you had to deal with that nurse. I know it's a bit extreme, but you can ask for a different nurse if the one assigned to you is a problem. After my second child, I had a nurse who tried to lecture me about the evils of breast feeding. As soon as she went off-shift (which was the next morning as she was the night nurse), I told the new nurse that I did not want the other one assigned to me again. Period. I never saw the woman for the two remaining days I was in the hospital. I know that you are already home, but keep this in mind if you have to go back to the hospital.

I'm glad that you have a better idea what is happening, and that you are slowly getting better.

Ty and I agree. If I have to go back I'll keep that in mind. I did tell another nurse about her using an alcohol swab despite having gauze on the iv site she blew. Maybe they can remind her not to do that. Luckily she kept her opinions to herself so I didn't have to deal with defending the DS lol.

Latest posts

Back