Favorite DS Tools

Brandy

Freddled gruntbuggly
I just entered the maintenance phase at 1.5 years and have been thinking of the tools that I use to help manage my new body and thought I would list them here and I would also like to see other peoples favorites.

In no particular order:

http://www.biffy.com/
The Biffy, or poor persons bidet, was easy to get set up, except for the heater, which is waiting on an electrician for reasons that have nothing to do the product and everything to do with living in a really old house. We could hook it up but with old wiring, water and no GFCI it just seems smarter to wait. I live near Seattle, WA and the ground water is brisk! The heater sounds heavenly and I brace before turning it on, but really it isn't that bad. I would choose the $99 no heater version over not having this at all. At first, with an active hemorrhoid infestation going on, I used this every few hours and it gave such relief. Now that I'm a week or two past that, I use it after any poop, but generally don't feel the itch to use it otherwise, though I typically do if I'm there, cuz why not, cleanliness is close to godliness. My husband (not a DS'er) has grown to really love this too. We can tell that we will someday upgrade to the Japanese toilet, but for now, we are really happy with this. I wish I had put one of these in before my surgery.

The Squatty Potty (amazon) is a little bench that you put your feet on when you sit on the potty. We are not quite so sure about. I love it, it seems to make things go faster and that can mean less pain. DH says that it is no different than leaning forward. He has not had hemorrhoids since we got it though, so what does he know? Nothing, that is what! :) I think this might be a YMMV thing based on your anatomy. I have been surprised by long farts right after getting on it, so I think it might also help with the rare case of bloats, but it is too early to say for sure. You can make a box about the same size if you want to try out the concept for free.

Count Down Timer Applications
I have different ones installed on every phone and computer and use it to trigger the next round of vitamins. My schedule varies wildly every day and so I had a hard time with trying to take my pills at specific times and reminders don't really work if you are shifting your whole schedule back by 6 hours or so. So I take pills and then trigger a two hour count down timer and when it goes off, I take pills and reset the timer. It has helped my compliance more than anything else and is free!!! A physical one would probably work just as well as a computer one.

Personal Trainer
Once I passed a year or so, I started seeing one twice a week. It has been amazing and probably more like physical therapy than anything else. We spent the whole first few months on balance and wind. I used to be twice the size I am now, so it is no wonder that my balance was wonky. He is teaching me how to move again and he also spots muscles that need help because my left side and right side seem to have specialized in different things over the years. I am 100% sure that I would have hurt myself if I was trying to figure this out by myself. I want to do a longer post on this sometime, but I do want to say that working out like this as a thin person is twenty thousand times easier than as a fat person. I love my gym sessions now and they were always anathema to me before. I'm happy with my decision to wait a year for this. If I had returned early and failed and hated it again, I'm not sure I would have given it another try.

Therapeutic Massage
This is another area that was pretty painful as a fat person but much less so now. I started this because I heard it was one of the best things you could do for loose skin. Too soon to tell that, but it is another case where the ghosts of my old body were still haunting me. For example, he had done a lot to change the angle that I carry my pelvis because it doesn't need to carry what it used to carry. I feel like these sessions turn back the clock on my 55 year old body and really make it hum again. This is another one that might make sense to wait a little, massaging through a thicker fat layer is not as effective and a lot more painful. Still, progress can be made, so your choice.

if I think of more I might add them, but I can't wait to see what others say!

Thank you so much for this! I am pre op and have some worries (getting g surgery regardless), this is really helpful

I'll add chiropractor, for the same reasons as therapeutic massage. Both help me lots. Today, nine years out, the owies are different than they were as I lost the weight, and I don't need work /treatment as frequently as I did in the first couple years.

Thank you so much for this! I am pre op and have some worries (getting g surgery regardless), this is really helpful

I think recovery taught me a lot about how to be proactive and creative in the face of uncontrollable chaos. I just had to learn to keep trying new things until something worked. I almost envy you getting ready to go through the first year, even though it was total hell, I know how to do that now! This maintenance phase has me scratching my head.

My husband came across of photo of me at three months on his phone and didn't recognize that person as me any longer. I feel so much better now and I'm so much happier. I too was nervous when I was in your place, but I'm excited for you. The whole world is going to open up for you and there is nothing like it and I doubt I will ever see anything like it in my life again. I didn't understand the power of transformation. It's not something I can put it into words, but I think us bariatric surgery patients get a rare front row schooling on it and we are lucky to do so. (Or at least that is how we will feel when it's done!)

Message me if I can ever help, I don't always make it up here.

I'll add chiropractor, for the same reasons as therapeutic massage. Both help me lots. Today, nine years out, the owies are different than they were as I lost the weight, and I don't need work /treatment as frequently as I did in the first couple years.

Good one.

My LMP (Licensed Massage Professional? I think!) wants me to go to a chiropractor in six months or so. He doesn't like the angle of my neck (I was starting to get an old lady hump at 55!) but wants to soften up the supporting players so that the chiropractic adjustments will take better. Or something like that. Honestly, there is so much to know about my new body that many days now I just go with the flow. I'm lucky to have found very good people.

Thought of a few more basic ones:

Fitbit Aria Scale
I got this my third week after surgery and it has been a major blessing. I weigh myself and it keeps track of the details. I didn't obsess about the number on the scale but it was nice to have the data the few times I freaked and decided I was failing my DS or something. The charts were useful. It was nice to know something was tracking this so I could just relax.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/
I used this religiously from about three months to 15 months. The first three months it was too hard to figure out portions (is two swallows a TBS?) Also, I had a swallowing problem at first, so I wasn't eating much of anything so tracking it could be done in my head. At the other end of time, I've had to cut it out as I transitioned off low carb so I would stop obsessing about carbs and food in general. This tool helped me figure out that I lost the most weight at over 70 g carbs a day and not the 25 that I started shooting for. I couldn't have made that leap of faith without it. I tried lots of other trackers, but they took so much more time and just didn't have as complete a database.

Fitbit and Microsoft Band
I started with a Fitbit and now have a Microsoft Band 2.0. The band is a lot more accurate and has a ton more functionality, but the Fitbit didn't need to be charged but maybe once or twice a week. If it hadn't broken, I probably wouldn't have switched although this year, with my super active lifestyle, I'm really using all the new functionality, but the Fitbit was fine for the recovery year. I found tracking my sleep was more interesting than my walks, but tracking my walks kept me honest.

and I should have put this one first: http://bariatricfacts.org/
Studies say that those patients that get involved in the community, on-line or in person, do much better. For my first year I tried to read daily and post at least weekly here or in the other boards. This is the place you go to get your answers, although I used to post a lot at OH cuz they have so many readers and so few posters. I figured it was a way to give back and nothing makes you feel better than giving back. I miss this interaction a lot, but I'm also trying to build up a new life in the flesh and time is always dear.

Gummy Fiber (I liked: these)
They had 1 g of sugar for every 5 g of fiber, but oh how I loved them. I figured that my body was going to be so demanding of sugar that any foods that I allowed with sugar would be eagerly anticipated. I wanted my body demanding I take my vitamins and not thinking of new ways that it might be able to talk me into cheating. Now that I'm out of the very low carb stage and able to get my fiber from food, I don't do these any longer, but they were a huge daily blessing back in the day.

Also, here are some tools that didn't work for me:

30 Day Vitamin Sorters
I bought the huge month-at-a-time one before my surgery and I know that it works for many people but I have never used it that way. I've found my compliance goes down if I don't sort my vitamins every week. I think I sort of meditate on why I need each pill as I sort and the more time that passes between sorts, the less I remember just how important it is. I do use the 4 cup holders that came with it and just ignore the numbers, but I actually would prefer more cups. I think dividing my pills into five or even seven doses is easier on my body. I did use two weekly (7 cup) sorters for my first three months. One I would fill with the "I'm constipated and not taking my calcium" pill regimen and the other would be what I should be taking. But those bad days are behind me and now it isn't a big enough deal for me to buy even more pill sorters that I won't use. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if in a year or two I sort my pills a month at a time. It is something you get pretty used to. Still, if I had to do this again, I would have purchased 7 extra-large "weekly" 7 cup pill sorters.

B Vitamins and most chewable Vitamins:
Or the worst, chewable B vitamins. Bleech! I ended up throwing away several hundred dollars worth of vitamins because I couldn't face them. Things taste so differently and some days you are fighting to get any food down and combing that with getting your vitamins in was bad. Orange and especially Cinnamon flavored chews were way too spicy after the surgery. I do like a few and think there might be a tiny roll for them, but I would advise people to start off on the hard pills. Later you can play with these in very small bottles.

That's all I can think of now.

I will add something that has really helped me as I have gotten used to being able to exercise as I used to. An excellent pair of workout shoes! Our feet are often neglected as we focus on the areas of the body that demand our attention and a decent pair of shoes can make such a difference! While I have always had large, flat feet (I was wearing a size 10 in the fourth grade and was in an eleven by freshman year) they grew a bit while I was at my heaviest and then correspondingly shrunk a bit as I lost weight. As I have increased my walking now that my knees hurt less I have come to find that I can no longer skimp on my shoes as I used to if I don't want to be limping on my walk at the end of the day. And replace them when they are worn out! Your body will thank you for it!

I will add something that has really helped me as I have gotten used to being able to exercise as I used to. An excellent pair of workout shoes! Our feet are often neglected as we focus on the areas of the body that demand our attention and a decent pair of shoes can make such a difference! While I have always had large, flat feet (I was wearing a size 10 in the fourth grade and was in an eleven by freshman year) they grew a bit while I was at my heaviest and then correspondingly shrunk a bit as I lost weight. As I have increased my walking now that my knees hurt less I have come to find that I can no longer skimp on my shoes as I used to if I don't want to be limping on my walk at the end of the day. And replace them when they are worn out! Your body will thank you for it!
Kate I totally agree with you. I myself as a fat ICU nurse spend hours on my feet running around and due to this have been tormented by knee pain and in particular plantar fasciitis. I've seen a few experts prior to my DS and the GREATEST piece of advice I was ever given was when I was sent by one doc to a runners store and fitted for a pair of sneakers by Hoka One One. Very odd name I know but he was adamant it had to be this brand. I'm not a sneaker wearer so this was out of my norm but OMG I was hurting so I gave it a go. BEST ever!! I only ever buy this brand now but I find them cheaper online at the runners warehouse usually. They cost about $160 but I troll sales and only buy at 50% off with free shipping! I have not had another issue with foot or knee pain ever since. I swear I do not have shares in this product!! But I encourage everyone to give it a try. They rock.

Cara! I've been battling Plantar Fasciitis too for like a year now. I kept thinking I could treat it myself, ordered inserts, a "boot" to wear at night, creams, rolled tennis ball under my foot, stretches, everything and finally broke down and went to a podiatrist last month. She chewed me out over my choice in footwear (Backless mule type slipons by Easy Spirit which I LOVE) and gave me a cortisone shot. I bought a pair of Asics and they are helping a lot and received a second shot and am finally able to get up from sitting for a while without being in excruciating pain. In my research for shoes good for my ailment I ran across the Hoka brand online and thought they looked very interesting. Glad to hear more about them and might try them some day. Love my Asics but I get tired of wearing shoes trimmed in pink and purple everywhere!

Chiropractic care is also a regular thing for me. Seems the older I get the shorter time my parts stay in place. When I lived in Texas all the chiropractors in my city had you see an inhouse massage therapist either right before the treatment or right after adjustment, and was included in the cost (which was no more than seeing the chiropractor alone is here) so I LOVED going and went regularly! I really feel like getting this weight off will help, not cure, but help. I'm thinking maybe my adjustments will last longer at least.

I just went to the runners warehouse online to troll sales and joy of joy they have a few styles of my beloved Hoka One One on clearance for $39.99 WITH FREE SHIPPING. Needless to say. I stocked up!!!!!

I think recovery taught me a lot about how to be proactive and creative in the face of uncontrollable chaos. I just had to learn to keep trying new things until something worked. I almost envy you getting ready to go through the first year, even though it was total hell, I know how to do that now! This maintenance phase has me scratching my head.

My husband came across of photo of me at three months on his phone and didn't recognize that person as me any longer. I feel so much better now and I'm so much happier. I too was nervous when I was in your place, but I'm excited for you. The whole world is going to open up for you and there is nothing like it and I doubt I will ever see anything like it in my life again. I didn't understand the power of transformation. It's not something I can put it into words, but I think us bariatric surgery patients get a rare front row schooling on it and we are lucky to do so. (Or at least that is how we will feel when it's done!)

Message me if I can ever help, I don't always make it up here.
Thank you so much for this. I can honestly say that my head is all over the place right now. Cognitively, I know this is the right thing for me, but emotionally, I am all over the place. I am just happy to hear from post ops who feel that this is the right thing to do. I'm not going to lie, I read a lot that scares me, and I know life will be difficult for a while, but I am hopeful that this 'transformation' will change my life for the better. I don't know how it couldn't. I think I may take you up on your 'message' offer, I feel very alone in this process. Again, thank you

Latest posts

Back