Fasting and other preparations for blood work

Vikki C.

On various forums, I have read that some people fast prior to blood work, and some don't. Some discontinue all supplements for 24 hours. I assume people are following doctors' instructions in these matters. I'm interested in knowing how others prepare for blood testing and what practices give the most accurate test results. Thanks.

I have never fasted for my labs until the last one when, my doc asked me to. Interestingly, it really showed no difference to the labs being drawn six weeks apart.

I fast because they tell me to do so but unless you are having lipids and or A1C tested I dint know that it is necessary.

I do the 12 hour fast which isn't bad since I have the labs done first thing in the morning. I also take all my supplements the day before, not sure if that is right or wrong.

I always fast for my labs...there are some that have to be fasting that I have drawn....fasting glucose, lipid panel.
Dh and I do things differently on vitamins tho. I don't take any after the morning dose the day before my lab work (so essentially a 24 hour fast from vitamins)...I get my first dose after I get back home. He stops taking them about three days ahead.

As long as you are consistent, I don't think it really matters. I may be wrong and if one of the more knowledgeable vets chimes in and explains why, I will adjust based on their input.

I always fast for my labs...there are some that have to be fasting that I have drawn....fasting glucose, lipid panel.
Dh and I do things differently on vitamins tho. I don't take any after the morning dose the day before my lab work (so essentially a 24 hour fast from vitamins)...I get my first dose after I get back home. He stops taking them about three days ahead.

As long as you are consistent, I don't think it really matters. I may be wrong and if one of the more knowledgeable vets chimes in and explains why, I will adjust based on their input.
I agree with the "as long as you are consistent" comment. Trends are what we are looking for and I honestly don't think for vitamins that taking a dose is going to immediately cause a spike in our labs. If it did that to me would mean that it is easy to move the numbers and we know from our experiences that this isn't often the case for many of us....definitely not for me.

Like you I have to be fasting for glucose testing and I think Vitamin A requires fasting as well. I probably should have my lipids and A1C run again this next set of labs which I am about 2.5 weeks over due on.

Thanks everyone for your input. Had 17 tubes drawn yesterday, fasting and without supplements. Asked at the lab, and was told that holding supplements for 24 hours was the way to go, and fasting necessary for the lipid workup.

Latest posts

Back