Sangry and Needing to Vent

k9ophile

My PCP, the one who researched the DS in order to be well informed and more able to render advice, has sold out to the degree I will have to change physicians.

I understand that as a practice grows, the interests and focus of treatment can and does change. When I first saw him in 2005, he was interested in weight management. We worked together for three years before I waved the white flag and underwent WLS. However, in the past few years he not only changed his interests, he changed his fee structure. He did not accept Medicare and I was fine with that before he tripled his office visit fee. The explanation for this increases was stated to be on the need for advanced research that he would be doing for Alzheimer's and other degenerative diseases. I reduced my visits, then ultimately decided that I would find another doctor to order my labs and I would adjust my supplements as best I could.

Last year, he sent out a survey regarding his practice and I responded with my concerns. Alas, I never got a response. Today I got an e-mail announcing a new and improved clinic model. For a mere monthly fee of $225, I could get complete and unfettered access to all the services. Yeah, right. I objected to paying close to $400.00 dollars for future visits. There is no way I will spend $225 a month for this new plan considering the limited focus. I was also told I must act quickly because the precious few slots allotted was filling up fast. I was also offered the one time opportunity to get $100 off of the first month's fee if I acted quickly.

Okay, I get it. His interests have changed. What saddens and angers me is he seems to have changed in other ways. My few office visits were rushed and he seemed distant. I was privately calling him Doc Hollywood for what appeared to be a transition to concierge medical practice. Now I have no doubt that the transition is complete. I had my last lab orders obtained from my local physician I see for the mundane bouts of bronchitis or other simpler needs. His practice was bought by a for-profit hospital corporation, yet has retained the office culture that was there prior to being sold.

I have contacted Doc Hollywood's office regarding my records. I'll not be holding my breath waiting for a response. Maybe some fast and furious downloading from the portal as long as I have access?

Sad. I am nervous because my GP is 80 and still practicing. He recently closed his private practice and joined a medical group. He said he joined because the insurance rates were cost prohibitive if he remained in a solo practice.

I like my doctor because he will listen to my concerns and address them. If i have questions in an area he is less knowledgeable in, he will do research and/or refer me to another physician who has expertise in that area. His focus is keeping his patients healthy.

I tried getting a referral from a local Bariatric surgeon for a physician but the total focus was on getting me approved for surgery. I had to keep explaining I already had surgery. The experience did not help my feelings of inadequacy about not achieving my weight loss goals. Finding a good doctor is like participating in a scavenger hunt.

Maybe some fast and furious downloading from the portal as long as I have access?

that sounds like a very good idea!
Finding a good doctor is like participating in a scavenger hunt.

it's sad how true this is.

I realize you are venting, but have to say my experience with concierge doctors has been overwhelming good. and the contast now that I am back to having "health" "insurance" - well, they are looking even better.

MsVee That's what's so irritating. Doc Hollywood was attentive and caring. I had noticed a shift in his manner, yet had hoped that our long term dr/patient history would prevail. Yet when he tripled my office visit I knew it would not be long before I'd be searching for a new doctor.
I hate to think how lost I'd be if I hadn't followed some of the members here from forum to forum.

JackieOnLine I just can't justify the cost for the benefits. The office is also 75 +/- miles away. I would have the benefit of Big City shopping and restaurants, yet the pandemic has shown me ways to love smaller options.

MDVIP costs $1800 yr—$150/mo, each—plus whatever part of office visits/services our insurance didn’t pay.

There was never a wait for a visit...”Do you want to come in today or tomorrow?”

But then…they did SOMETHING—I don’t remember what right now—that made me feel that I wasn’t getting my $150/mo worth, so we cancelled.

I just can't justify the cost for the benefits.
yes, I'm sure that's true of many practices. I've had three so far and each was very different.

my best was a woman whose husband is a cardiac surgeon ( I believe) so he could support them and she coached their three teenaged girls in sports so she wanted strict control over her schedule.

she was $100 a month when we started for basically as much time as you needed. I had her phone number to text! totally worth it.

she & I didn't agree on everything but she was respectful of my opinion (that is so rare!) as well as smart, holistic, and extremely thorough.

I'm sorry. That's unfortunate. Definitely download. I hope you find find someone relatively close who is knowledgeable (or willing to learn) and affordable.

I'm sorry. That's unfortunate. Definitely download. I hope you find find someone relatively close who is knowledgeable (or willing to learn) and affordable.
It may take a while, yet I'm sure I'll find someone. I worked in healthcare in this region long enough to know the No Way In Hell people to avoid. There are some new ones in town.
Mostly I'm under the impression that he's changed from what I knew.

Latest posts

Back