Enhanced Malabsorbtion and No Carbs

LOL, those organs cooked and chopped go great in gravy. But you can also give them to the dogs.

I can do a pork roast without even looking but I am over 64 years old and the ONLY way I can be successful at a beef roast is to use a rotisserie. I've had my Mother try to teach me, butchers, the best cooks, NOTHING. Mine always tastes like dry cardboard. Except for the rotisserie, that way works for me.
The dogs got the liver!
Let me just admit Jeff taught me how to cook a roast. When I was growing up I never really liked roast because it was always cooked to shoe leather because that was the way my father liked it. Crockpot roasts are easy.

But real roast beef is hard. The big secret for me was to actually USE that meat thermometer.

When I was growing up I never really liked roast because it was always cooked to shoe leather because that was the way my
Mom cooked! Mom had a fear of underdone meat, to the point where if there was any pink on a steak she called it "bloody" - so she made sure all the meat was very, very done. think hockey puck done. :sick:

The dogs got the liver!
Let me just admit Jeff taught me how to cook a roast. When I was growing up I never really liked roast because it was always cooked to shoe leather because that was the way my father liked it. Crockpot roasts are easy.

But real roast beef is hard. The big secret for me was to actually USE that meat thermometer.
I use the damned thermometer all the time. I have a fear of food poisoning due to chicken. I do like my roast rare to med rare. Med rare at the ends, rare toward the middle since that usually gets reheated.

I’ve tried crockpot roasts, still tastes like cardboard. I’ve tried every method I’ve come across. Until I tried a rotisserie, I had given up cause the only place fit for what I tried was the trash. And that was with roasts that the meat thermometer said was 125 on the inside.

I think I’m missing the roast gene. :) My Mother would cook the middle to medium and the ends were well done. She ate the ends.

My hubby doesn’t seem to mind since I can do an awesome pork roast.

congrats on the low carb stuffing! can't believe it!

I was inspired by you and bought a turkey I'm going to make on Tuesday. it was 67 cents a pound, what do you think?

I originally was going to get a roast but the prices, ugh! I'm not a consistently competent cook so not going to pay that much for something I might wreck.

do you have any turkey advice? I'm going to get one of those bags to put it in and google, basically. should have a tons of leftover meat (well, 12 pounds less what I can eat on Christmas) and want to make soup out of the bones.
not sure what to do with those little organs, they kind of disgust me. :sick:

No worries. It's easy. First of all, next time buy a bigger bird. I always get the biggest I can find. Here's why. Bigger birds have a higher meat to bone ratio. Turkey is one of the best proteins you can buy and it freezes well! .67/lb is a great price. You can't beat it! Thaw it breast side down in the fridge!

If you don't stuff it, takes about 15min per pound in a 350 oven. Stuffed is @20 min a pound.

Here's a really good, easy way to prepare. The first thing I do is clean and disinfect my sink. Usually I spray with bleach, let it sit for a few then rinse and scrub with Dawn. Put the turkey in one side of the sink and take it out of the bag. The neck will be in 1 cavity and all the 'organs' will be in the other. Rinse everything well with plain cold water. Put the turkey in the other side of the sink breast down in cold water and vinegar. Probably a couple cups and whatever vinegar you have will be fine. Let it sit there for a while and soak the chill out. I usually make my stuffing while it swims in the sink. You are making the turkey moister by soaking it in an acid solution.

I don't like the liver so the dogs get it. Usually raw. I do like the other organs so I put them all back in the cavity if the bird isn't stuffed or I chop and add to the stuffing. If you stuff...it has to cool before you stuff the bird. It should be about the same temp. Just let the turkey swim. It's all good.

Take the turkey and drain all the cavities and rinse again. Put it in your pan and dry the outside with a kitchen towel. Then rub with olive oil and sprinkle with cracked pepper, cumin, garlic, and smoked paprika. Stick it in the oven!!!!

I survived the holidays. I always hoped there would come 1 year where my enjoyment of same wouldn't be curbed by the fear of weight gain but that never happened. Probably means I am like most women.

My 'last supper' was grilled chopped sirloin with mashed potatoes and gravy. And chicken mushroom soup. With a Klondike Bar for dessert. Yes, it was wonderful! I still have some crap in the house but it's going in the freezer and it will come out for my birthday. I have come to the conclusion that my hernia is helping me lose weight. Cheat days have made me realize I never overeat anymore because I know it will make the hernia hurt more. Nothing like a little negative reinforcement. 12 months and counting till I can get the damn thing fixed.

Cheap turkey days are done and gone and I am sad to report there is only 1 left in the freezer. But it is a Butterball. Now we will wait and see if Jeff's theory is correct that they will go down in price at Easter/Passover.

My microwave died right before New Year's. It made me realize how darn convenient they are and how many dishes it saved me. I have ordered a new one but it won't be here till @ the 8th. My first order from Jet and so far so good. Their prices were better than Amazon this time. I went to the eye doctor over the holidays and found out my wonky vision was actually dry eye. Very common in NV. The vision in my distance eye is still 20/25. I bought a groupon that included glasses so I got a pair of driving glasses that corrects my closeup eye for distance. And it does make a difference. Also went to the DMV and renewed my license. I was hoping there would be shorter lines over the holidays and I was probably right. It only took a couple hours. And I passed the vision test with no glasses. Not bad at my age!

And so we move forward. I have one more palm to wrangle in the near future. And it's not very long till it will start to get warmer so I had better start on it soon. I am procrastinating.

First of all, next time buy a bigger bird.

I barely have room to store all this meat as it is!
I made bone broth and am currently eating soup I made out of that. :geek: I put in a ton of garlic and onion so no cold germs have a chance. :p

I have one more palm to wrangle in the near future

better get to it: how much longer until your weather is too hot? :rolleyes:

I barely have room to store all this meat as it is!
I made bone broth and am currently eating soup I made out of that. :geek: I put in a ton of garlic and onion so no cold germs have a chance. :p

better get to it: how much longer until your weather is too hot? :rolleyes:
It will still be a couple months till it starts really heating up. We try not to turn on the AC till the end of May. Some years we make it and some we don't.

How did the turkey come out?

it turned out fine, which is "good" for me - I have a history of drying out meat so my standards are low. I had the oven on at only 325 and it still was done much faster than it should have been both by the minutes per pound formula and by the pop-out thermometer. and when I took it's temp coming out it was already...I forget, 185? over done, anyway.

just need more practice, I guess. I'll try to look back at your post the next time I make one...or maybe i should practice more on chickens when this meat runs out. might be Spring by then!

I am really glad I didn't follow my urge to get a roast as that would have been much more money for much less meat.

it turned out fine, which is "good" for me - I have a history of drying out meat so my standards are low. I had the oven on at only 325 and it still was done much faster than it should have been both by the minutes per pound formula and by the pop-out thermometer. and when I took it's temp coming out it was already...I forget, 185? over done, anyway.

just need more practice, I guess. I'll try to look back at your post the next time I make one...or maybe i should practice more on chickens when this meat runs out. might be Spring by then!

I am really glad I didn't follow my urge to get a roast as that would have been much more money for much less meat.
Maybe your oven is too hot????

Here it is, the last cheat day till Valentine's. My birthday. 64. So 12 months and counting to Medicare. There is no doubt I am thinner and in better shape than I was when I started this thread. I have actually given myself a CHANCE to make it to thin(please feel free to insert hysterical laughter here) before hernia surgery and hopefully a panni. But we shall see. I will have to force myself to press on. As usual.

Today's lovely menu, chicken parm and baked ziti with homemade sauce. The sauce is divine, even if *I* made it. Hamburger, Italian sausage, mushrooms, peppers, onions, and pepperoni. And it's layered with a good whole milk mozz. The mozz was my latest score at the 99centsOnly Store. I got 10 POUNDS of it for $10. What a find! I bought a whole case of it. Much better than the cheap store brands I usually buy.

Dessert will be Boston Cream Pie. Then for later, if I can stuff it in, I still have some chili dogs... And tomorrow dawns the new deprivation. And I need to start up yard work again too. I STILL have one palm to wrangle. The others have done some growing so I will be doing a quick trim on them too but no big deal compared to what I did last year.

I have been out of gummy bears for months now. I will probably go without till March or so. I have some other stuff to get done first. I did get my driver's license renewed, and next comes my passport. I was going to try to do without but there is a certain security these days in knowing I can flee the country. I don't like feeling trapped. So that's my next discretionary expense.

Since I have lost some weight my arms look like hell again. My face doesn't look great either. After the hernia/panni is done I will be looking for a way to do something. I would like to wear something sleeveless ONCE in my adult life.

The last Mohican goes in the oven today. Sad to see it. Wish I could have gotten a few more turkeys while they were cheap. But we will enjoy this last Butterball.
Meanwhile, Valentine's Day is just around the corner. The Mob Museum has free admission that day so we are thinking about going. Probably will eat right down the street at Main Street Station. Romantic for us because it's one of the first places we went when we were dating.

Waiting on my next cheat day as well, if I
The last Mohican goes in the oven today. Sad to see it. Wish I could have gotten a few more turkeys while they were cheap. But we will enjoy this last Butterball.
Meanwhile, Valentine's Day is just around the corner. The Mob Museum has free admission that day so we are thinking about going. Probably will eat right down the street at Main Street Station. Romantic for us because it's one of the first places we went when we were dating.

Can't wait for Easter, maybe they will have turkeys!! :geek:

Latest posts

Back