DS Prejudice

FloridaJen

The Curious One
I think I just need to vent.

Had my GI appointment today so I can get the required EGD for my medical clearance. My GI is a young thing, she's all hip on the newest and greatest in Gastroenterology, so I went in hopeful she would be familiar with the DS and maybe...MAYBE...supportive. :rolleyes:

She asked "you getting the sleeve or the RnY?" and I answer "no, the other one...the DS"
The look on her face was all horror. She looked at me and said "why would you want to do that?" Then "what doctor did you find to do a DS on you?"
I answered. Then asked her if she'd ever had a DS patient before and her answer was "No, thankfully"

So I asked her if she will continue to be my doctor after I have the DS, ya know for things not DS related. She said I would have to follow up with my surgeon. I said, so you will not see me as a patient for anything because you believe anything I have will be a direct result of the DS? She said "of course I am not going to stop being your doctor...but...."
BUT WHAT? :mad:
Then she told me the DS has gone out of favor because of its high complication rate and extreme side-effects. I started to try to explain to her the extensive research I've done really doesn't support that claim. Her response "well sounds like you're the expert." :cool:

She is doing what I need done and wished me luck, I guess that's all I can ask for. But it makes me realize what a battle I have ahead of me and how I am going to go from being blacklisted as morbidly obese to being blacklisted for having the DS. I already dread telling people which surgery I am having and I'm just getting started.

Oh it's real. Just know there ARE other Drs out there. And once you actually HAVE a DS...they can't try to talk you out of it so they already lost that battle lol. Some people (medical people) just HATE when someone is more educated than they are.

Oh it's real. Just know there ARE other Drs out there. And once you actually HAVE a DS...they can't try to talk you out of it so they already lost that battle lol. Some people (medical people) just HATE when someone is more educated than they are.

I'm actually worried there aren't any doctors out there, in my world. I work for a hospital - just acquired by the Cleveland Clinic - and every person I have encountered at my own hospital have the been the absolute worst about the DS. Not only are they not supportive, but they are also horrified I would even consider it.

A LITTLE knowledge can be a dangerous thing. And most medical professional know just enough to be scared of the DS. And many do still confuse it with the BPD.

I kind of enjoy telling my doctors that I researched all the surgeries, read the scientific literature, selected one of the best surgeons, am exceedingly compliant and proactive about my nutritional requirements, and have had excellent results and health since then (16 years next week), and if they have any misconceptions about the surgery, I’d be happy to clear them up.

Mostly because they have gotten the BPD mixed up with the DS but part of that is understandable. The full name is the BPD/DS. And it seems, most medical hear the BPD and shut down, thinking it’s the old BPD.

Read the history of the DS on DSFacts.
I never call anything but the DS, but I'm sure it's all the same in their minds.

I kind of enjoy telling my doctors that I researched all the surgeries, read the scientific literature, selected one of the best surgeons, am exceedingly compliant and proactive about my nutritional requirements, and have had excellent results and health since then (16 years next week), and if they have any misconceptions about the surgery, I’d be happy to clear them up.
I will probably enjoy, too, when I'm as successful as you and that far out :)

Also, how do we get doctors to treat us fairly after DS? Is there a trick or do I have to doctor shop until I find one who will support me and my soon-to-be rearranged innerds?

I was prepared to Dr shop when I moved to Santa Fe from the UK. lol. My poor PCP...I walked in the door and put my huge folder on her desk, sat down and said 'Right, let's begin' lmao. I first told her how much I used to weigh. I explained why I chose weight loss surgery and specifically the DS. I had a diagram of the DS, the lab sheet with all the insurance codes, 'letter to my dr' document that I think may have been made by DianaCox (?) and before and after pictures. She was in shock, befuddled, seriously confused, but she took it all in.

The bonus?!?! The last time I saw her she said she had used my lab sheet on two other WLS peeps. Sure, they were RNYers but they were many years out and hadn't seen a Dr at all since newly preop. So, by my taking the time to lay down the law, so to speak, I was able to influence the health of strangers for the better :)

I was prepared to Dr shop when I moved to Santa Fe from the UK. lol. My poor PCP...I walked in the door and put my huge folder on her desk, sat down and said 'Right, let's begin' lmao. I first told her how much I used to weigh. I explained why I chose weight loss surgery and specifically the DS. I had a diagram of the DS, the lab sheet with all the insurance codes, 'letter to my dr' document that I think may have been made by DianaCox (?) and before and after pictures. She was in shock, befuddled, seriously confused, but she took it all in.

The bonus?!?! The last time I saw her she said she had used my lab sheet on two other WLS peeps. Sure, they were RNYers but they were many years out and hadn't seen a Dr at all since newly preop. So, by my taking the time to lay down the law, so to speak, I was able to influence the health of strangers for the better :)
That's amazing! I haven't seen my PCP yet, she has no idea what I'm doing, yet, and I'm prepared for her to be freaked out about the DS.

I saw a pulmonologist, cardiologist and my general practitioner and the only one who made even a slightly negative comment was my GP. She just wondered why I didn't do the sleeve and chose something so drastic (malabsorption). I explained I was worried about regaining in five years AND when I lose my mobility. Then she was fine. They all know my family history because they were also my mom's doctors and see this as a way to avoid the same serious health problems. Really not a single one of them actually knew what the surgery was. Not really.

But should any of them including my GI get all funny I can always find someone else. I prefer to see this as weeding out the undesirables! That includes people in my life who might act ugly when I am no longer fat and that changes the dynamics of our relationship.

Latest posts

Back