DS or SIPS

Gigindallas

So confused.. I thought I had my mind made up to do traditional DS because of my horrible diabetes, but then I saw this government article published, DS or Sips? Ugghh

Attachments

• 5D5FA5AC-D127-4B1B-AE2F-D28CF168CFA8.png
    5D5FA5AC-D127-4B1B-AE2F-D28CF168CFA8.png
    118.2 KB · Views: 9
  • 6683DE68-68D4-423B-9C6D-F258C05D192E.png
    6683DE68-68D4-423B-9C6D-F258C05D192E.png
    113.5 KB · Views: 8
We answered those questions for you on this thread that you started. http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/confused-what-i-should-do-ds-or-loop.6101/

Two screenshots of a study does not provide enough info to know what you are trying to get at.

Here is the bottomline for me. Do you want to be a tester of a new surgery where there is not a ton of long term data, though the surgery might be better, or do you want one where the data says the surgery works though there might or might not be a better one.

We answered those questions for you on this thread that you started. http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/confused-what-i-should-do-ds-or-loop.6101/

Two screenshots of a study does not provide enough info to know what you are trying to get at.

Here is the bottomline for me. Do you want to be a tester of a new surgery where there is not a ton of long term data, though the surgery might be better, or do you want one where the data says the surgery works though there might or might not be a better one.
I have just been seeing a lot of negativity in these DS groups with people getting really sick! Freaking me out.. and if 2 years out our results are the same common sense would tell me to go with the safer surgery! Not the malabsorption issues

I don't know what you've been seeing in those groups. My own experience with people with the DS (and other operations!) "getting sick" is failure to follow the supplementation rules that we all understand, ahead of time, to be a life time commitment. Some people slack off because they just don't like taking pills, or because they are given inadequate advice by their doctors or nutritionists. There is so much bad advice out there it boggles the mind. Some people decide they are special and don't need the protein, vitamins and minerals everyone else with the DS needs. Big mistake.
Bottom line, the fault is usually not with the operation, but with misinformation or human nature. There are excellent long term studies showing that the rate of nutritional complications is actually low, and almost always related to noncompliance. And just in case it isn't obvious, people with SIPS also need to supplement certain vitamins and minerals, just not as many as with the DS. Anyone who thinks otherwise is very much mistaken.
I'm 12 years out now, and doing just fine. I accepted the life time commitment before I had the operation. Yes, there are times when I would just as soon not bother with those pills, but I take them anyway. When you think about it, it's really not that big a deal for the incredible payoff in terms of health and quality of life that I got from the DS. I would not hesitate to do it all over again.

I have just been seeing a lot of negativity in these DS groups with people getting really sick! Freaking me out.. and if 2 years out our results are the same common sense would tell me to go with the safer surgery! Not the malabsorption issues

Your choice is yours alone. The SIPS procedure looks less worrisome so far.

But...I had a Lap-Band placed with short term data but no long term studies. At 2 years out I was a star patient. I was down 100+ lbs, normal BMI and I felt great. 6 months later the problems started. In a few years I regained every ounce I had lost. And added a few extra problems along the way. So I had 3 more surgeries to get to the DS.

10 years ago I might have picked the “safer” SIPS. But if I could talk to me today I would have said go for the fix. I’m glad to be healthy today. Just wish I had the right surgery the first time.

People get sick with the DS who do NOT take their supplements. I went through the same choice with the SIPS vs. DS. and you know, I wanted what was going to work. I was so done with the diet BS. Diabetes is done and I take less supplements than I did prescription pills for commodities.

To me, it's not two years out I care about it, it 5 years, 10 years, 20 years, etc. I never ever want to be fat or sick because I'm fat again. Period. That is why I got the DS.

Think twice. Cut once. There is only 1 WLS with good long term results and even that, the DS, is not a free ride for most! Someday there will be something better than the DS but I have not seen it yet. And I will be glad when it gets here. Me personally, I hope it's a pill!

And there is nothing with a better chance of curing diabetes. I have my doubts that a 300cm CC will keep diabetes resolved long term. Immediately post op, probably, but down the road I think not! When they started doing the DS specifically for diabetes a few decades ago in Europe they did a short 50cm CC.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back