DS Appeal Approved...Thank You Diana & Larra!!!

irishmom1972

Hello Everyone. It's been a while since I last posted here. I wanted to share some great news...My appeal just got approved from BCBS IL for DS. At this point, I'm planning on having surgery in March.

BCBS IL's Medical Policy stated that DS was not medically necessary for patients with a BMI under 50, but their exclusions were arbitrary and certainly was not research based. I received a denial for the DS from BCBS in mid-October because my BMI was 47. I was disappointed but not surprised because I had been aware of their medical policy from the start. So, I immediately began working on an appeal to BCBS. I was advised by former DSers on a FB forum to join Bariatric Facts and contact Diana and Larra. I learned that the whole appeal process could take many rounds over a long period of time. I am so happy that I joined Bariatric Facts and met Diana & Larra. Words cannot express my gratitude for their help and support that they gave me. Between October and January, there were countless emails exchanged, and both Larra and Diana offered their expert advice, and provided me with research articles to strengthen my case showing that DS was indeed very appropriate and has been thoroughly researched in patients who meet NIH criteria for bariatric surgery (not just for patients whose BMI is >50). We went through multiple rounds of revisions on my appeal letter, and each time Larra and Diana would add/edit to make it a powerful appeal. I also obtained LOMNs from my PCP and two bariatric surgeons. Diana actually reached out to one of the bariatric surgeons for me stating that his LOMN would hurt me instead of help the appeal, and she asked him on my behalf to be more supportive of the DS. I was very persistent with the appeal, but honestly I would have been lost without Diana and Larra's help. These ladies are just incredible, and they should really open an insurance appeals business and charge for their services. They're helping people out of the kindness of their own hearts. I don't know anyone else who would do that. They compliment each other so well and work harmoniously. And do they know their stuff and all the insurance tricks that us lay people don't know about. Diana and Larra pointed out things that were vitally important for getting the denial overturned that I would have otherwise inadvertently let go right past me. Diana & Larra provided advice and professional opinions well beyond my appeal letter. They helped me handle numerous interactions with the insurance coordinators at both bariatric offices. I am indebted to these ladies. Their commitment to helping me get approved for the DS surgery was unwavering. I also recognize that during those three months that they were helping me and always seemed to be available, they were also helping countless other people just like me. I'm so blessed to have met Diana & Larra (online) from a former DS patient who happened to hear about my insurance issues and referred me to them.

I finally sent my whole appeal packet to BCBS on Dec. 16. It felt like a load off to get the appeal out the door and in the mail, as I had been working on it with Larra & Diana since October. I then called BCBS at least four times since Dec. 16....twice before Christmas, once last week, and once this week. I learned from past experience that by the time I get something in the mail from BCBS, the date on the document is two weeks behind and the decision had been made at the time as well. When I called this week, I was told that a letter had been generated with the approval to my appeal. I was pumped. I was expecting another denial and another appeal submission, but now I'm actually moving forward with my surgery date and pre-op stuff.

I just wanted to share my experience, and I hope things continue to move in the right direction. As Larra and Diana pointed out, the DS is going to change my life. I'm actually going to start living. If you're fighting insurance battles, keep going. Be persistent and fight for what you deserve. The insurance companies will wear out before you do if you're persistent. Again, a huge heartfelt thanks to two wonderful women, Diana and Larra! They are saints for providing this wonderful, specialized well needed service but asking for nothing in return. That's incredible. Thank you so very much!!!

<mod edit: edited out real name to user name>

Last edited by a moderator:
Awesome news! Please make sure you tell them you want the Hess Method. Dr Prachand trained Dr Marshall my original DS surgeon on how to do the DS (Marshall is a great cutter but does much more than just Bariatrics, he is Director of Trauma for OSF St Francis in peoria the only level 1 trauma center downstate). I didn't know about the Hess method back then so Dr Marshall did a cookie cutter DS on me (Same CC & AL for everybody regardless of total SBL or other conditions) and I suffered severe malnutrition and ended up having to go to California to get revised to proper channel lengths.

I am preachy on this subject because of my experience. An extra 15 minutes in the OR would have saved me 2 years of significant struggles and I don't want to see anyone go through what I did.

They will tell you that the Hess method is unnecessary. Ask them how many DS procedures they have done. How many required revision or nutritional supplementation such as a pancreatic enzyme or TPN. Ask them if they don't know your total SBL how they can guarantee they are giving you proper AL & CC lengths.

Congratulations and good luck.

FYI - A colleague just had a DS on the 28th by Prachand. He didn't tell me if he did the Hess method or not. I pushed him hard but I have a feeling he ignored me because like so many of us he just wanted this done because he saw the tremendous weight loss of two of our friends and me.

WOW! CONGRATUFLIPPINLATIONS!!!! Awesome news!!! Yup, I've said SOO many times before and I'll say it again and again and again. These two Ladies are absolute Angels of Mercy and I endear and am indebted to them both...AND was fortunate enough to have meet them both and got to say thank you in person for everything they do!

Last edited:
WOW! CONGRATUFLIPPINLATIONS!!!! Awesome news!!! Yup, I've said SOO many times before and I'll say it again and again and again. These two Ladies are absolute Angels of Mercy and I endear and am indebted to them both...AND was fortunate enough to meet them both in person to say thank you for everything they do!
I haven't met Diana in person yet (the bay area was just too far to drive for the shindig that was kind of around my revision date in Glendale) but I was fortunate to spend a little time with Larra and she is even more delightful and a pleasure to speak with in person than she is here.

.....and as you say, they have done and currently do so much for this community of Bariatric patients. As Larra is fond of saying, there are 200,000 Bariatric surgeries performed every year in the US and we need more qualified DS surgeons and better insurance coverage. I think it is Larra's personal mission to get all 200K annual patients to this site! :D

@irishmom1972 thank you for your kind words. I asked her to let the world, or at least our little corner of it, know about her successful battle to encourage all those still fighting insurance to keep on fighting, because denials can be overturned and you can win. It's a real fight sometimes, and there are no guarantees, but we've seen many successes, and it's very gratifying to see those people go on to have their surgery and turn their lives around.
Morbid obesity is a terrible disease with many causal factors and no easy treatment. And @DSRIGGS you are absolutely right, if I could reach all 200,000 people having bariatric surgery this year alone, get them here and expose them to the most honest information about ALL their options, I would do it. Then, whatever decisions they make, they would be informed decisions, and they would get the information they need to stay healthy post-op.

@irishmom1972 thank you for your kind words. I asked her to let the world, or at least our little corner of it, know about her successful battle to encourage all those still fighting insurance to keep on fighting, because denials can be overturned and you can win. It's a real fight sometimes, and there are no guarantees, but we've seen many successes, and it's very gratifying to see those people go on to have their surgery and turn their lives around.
Morbid obesity is a terrible disease with many causal factors and no easy treatment. And @DSRIGGS you are absolutely right, if I could reach all 200,000 people having bariatric surgery this year alone, get them here and expose them to the most honest information about ALL their options, I would do it. Then, whatever decisions they make, they would be informed decisions, and they would get the information they need to stay healthy post-op.
@Larra I knew that was the case and that is among one of the reasons I love you so much!

I think it is Larra's personal mission to get all 200K annual patients to this site! :D

You know Scott, I sometimes forget about that aspect of what Larra does. She "recruits" from all over to bring people here. She is the one whom brought me here from OH (and one other site which shall remain nameless)...lol The reality of it is...there is an extremely high probability that I would be sitting here right now 160 lbs heavier and closer to death with NO DS ever done and still hopeless without her/their interventions.

Awesome news! Please make sure you tell them you want the Hess Method. Dr Prachand trained Dr Marshall my original DS surgeon on how to do the DS (Marshall is a great cutter but does much more than just Bariatrics, he is Director of Trauma for OSF St Francis in peoria the only level 1 trauma center downstate). I didn't know about the Hess method back then so Dr Marshall did a cookie cutter DS on me (Same CC & AL for everybody regardless of total SBL or other conditions) and I suffered severe malnutrition and ended up having to go to California to get revised to proper channel lengths.

I am preachy on this subject because of my experience. An extra 15 minutes in the OR would have saved me 2 years of significant struggles and I don't want to see anyone go through what I did.

They will tell you that the Hess method is unnecessary. Ask them how many DS procedures they have done. How many required revision or nutritional supplementation such as a pancreatic enzyme or TPN. Ask them if they don't know your total SBL how they can guarantee they are giving you proper AL & CC lengths.

Congratulations and good luck.

FYI - A colleague just had a DS on the 28th by Prachand. He didn't tell me if he did the Hess method or not. I pushed him hard but I have a feeling he ignored me because like so many of us he just wanted this done because he saw the tremendous weight loss of two of our friends and me.

what is the Hess Method?

what is the Hess Method?
Please see the post I just made about Dr K and the Hess Method. It is measuring the total SBL and determining the CC & AL lengths as percentages of that total SBL. It personalizes the surgery for each patient because we have widely varying small bowel lengths so giving a standard common channel and Alimentary limb lengths to two patients with totally different SB lengths can have enormously different outcomes. It is possible that one could have way too much mal-absorption and suffer from malnutrition and the other could have way too little mal-absorption and not lose enough weight.

Latest posts

Back