do them all again?

I wouldn't pay that much for a vitamin K test. It's not that reliable of a test anyways. It's very affected by recent intakes and doesn't at all reflect storage levels, so who cares? ha...

It's still very important though, so supplement, and supplement well. There's no tolerable upper limit established, so it's very safe. Pre-albumin is another test I flat-out don't think we need to run except in very specific settings, and annual labs isn't one of such settings.

Always get a CBC and CMP as these are cheap and tell us a lot. What else were you low on?

How high in CRP? This is a measure of inflammation in your body. If it gets high enough, its a signal that your body is making inflammatory proteins instead of "normal" ones. It's probably the reason your prealbumin was low. It could also be the reason your vitamin A was low (not because it was ACTUALLY low, but because it was fake low, due to inflammation). Tricky things, these labs are.

I would not retest prealb. Expensive and it doesn't really tell useful information in most cases (in my opinion). It tells you how good your nutrition has been for the past couple days. I don't personally find that info useful.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "3 out of the 4 irons," sorry :(

How high in CRP? This is a measure of inflammation in your body. If it gets high enough, its a signal that your body is making inflammatory proteins instead of "normal" ones. It's probably the reason your prealbumin was low. It could also be the reason your vitamin A was low (not because it was ACTUALLY low, but because it was fake low, due to inflammation). Tricky things, these labs are.

I would not retest prealb. Expensive and it doesn't really tell useful information in most cases (in my opinion). It tells you how good your nutrition has been for the past couple days. I don't personally find that info useful.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "3 out of the 4 irons," sorry :(
That's good info!
Sorry about the iron, this is what I meant-
*Low- Iron Bind. Cap. (TIBC)- 229 {250-450}
UIBC- 197 {150-375}
*Low Iron, serum- 32 {35-155}
*Low- Iron saturation- 14% {15-55}
Ferritin is good though- 100 {15-150}

I have pretty bad arthritis in my knees, PCP thought that was the cause of the high C-reactive protein- C-reactive protein, quant- 15.6 {0-4.9}
Some of the others thought the low pre albumin was a sign of potential protein malnourishment, thoughts?

So ferritin is what is called a "positive acute phase protein," which CRP is too. Your liver makes these in response to inflammation in a positively correlated manner (This means they go UP with inflammation). Other proteins are negative acute phase proteins, like albumin and prealbumin (I'm sure others, too, I don't know the exhaustive list). So that means they go DOWN with inflammation, irrespective to whether you are malnourished or not.

Iron: TIBC is actually bad when it's HIGH. It stands for Total Iron Binding Capacity. So, if it's high it means there are a lot of places for iron to bind (because there is not a lot of iron around. I will disregard the ferritin because of the above explanation. I'm not sure why your binding capacity is low if your saturation is low. I only know a couple pieces of information out of a very big puzzle, so if it is not straightforward, I don't know the answer--sorry :( There are multiple iron markers and when I was talking to my hematologist about it, he tastes several of them into account when deciding whether to give an infusion.

If you get a CMP (complete metabolic panel), the albumin is included. You can retest the iron. And given the history, I would continue to obtain the CRP. I guess what you're asking is if you need to obtain the weird stuff like selenium, zinc, and copper if they are normal? I wouldn't, especially in your financial situation.

Latest posts

Back