Dipping into the Probiotic Pool

Munchkin

Full of Fairy Dust
I have never been big on probiotics. BUT after reading that study saying they improve weight loss, I ordered some. So far I am just taking a few B acidophilus every day. I know it can't hurt me and it's also true I don't like yogurt. Never been a fan of spoiled milk other than clotted cream!

OMG! Nothing has ever given me gas like this before. I have been taking them for about a week and it's horrible. I am hoping my body will get used to them. FAST!

Takes a week or so for guts to adapt.

I'm not gas free by any means, but I take a Primal Defense Ultra in the AM, and a Culturelle at night.

I started probiotics three weeks ago. I take them before I get ready for bed... and have had trouble falling asleep as I am friggin' raising the blankets with the gas.

I spent a lot of money on refrigerated probiotics over the years, and ended up now with no longer taking them regularly. One strain of probiotics is not like another and probiotics are not acting in a vacuum because they are affected by what you eat. If the research is to be believed, the actions of probiotics are strain specific (some cause weight loss, others weight gain, and others no effect on weight) and even that isn't proven, since there is contradictory info from different studies. Some think the greatest benefit comes from taking the products with the most different number of strains, but who knows?
I have done better with avoiding gas without taking probiotics and stopping them hasn't seemed to affect my weight. I eat yogurt several times a week ( Fage brand doesn't cause me gas) and it is a breakfast alternative for me to the never ending parade of eggs, for the same amount of protein.
The worst, most terrible gas came with one of the Jarrow supplement brands, because it also had prebiotics. If probiotics are combined with prebiotics in the pill or with what you are eating (anything with fiber, oats, or onions), watch out for gas explosions. Tried lots of different brands and never saw enough of an effect on reducing gas, other than mucho $$ lost.
If I take antibiotics, though, I follow with a week of Florastor. No effect on weight that I'm aware of, but a quicker return to normal digestion after antibiotics.

I spent a lot of money on refrigerated probiotics over the years, and ended up now with no longer taking them regularly. One strain of probiotics is not like another and probiotics are not acting in a vacuum because they are affected by what you eat. If the research is to be believed, the actions of probiotics are strain specific (some cause weight loss, others weight gain, and others no effect on weight) and even that isn't proven, since there is contradictory info from different studies. Some think the greatest benefit comes from taking the products with the most different number of strains, but who knows?
I have done better with avoiding gas without taking probiotics and stopping them hasn't seemed to affect my weight. I eat yogurt several times a week ( Fage brand doesn't cause me gas) and it is a breakfast alternative for me to the never ending parade of eggs, for the same amount of protein.
The worst, most terrible gas came with one of the Jarrow supplement brands, because it also had prebiotics. If probiotics are combined with prebiotics in the pill or with what you are eating (anything with fiber, oats, or onions), watch out for gas explosions. Tried lots of different brands and never saw enough of an effect on reducing gas, other than mucho $$ lost.
If I take antibiotics, though, I follow with a week of Florastor. No effect on weight that I'm aware of, but a quicker return to normal digestion after antibiotics.
So far I am seeing nothing but increased methane production!!!

After my horrible and scary bout of h-pylori, I will NEVER allow myself to be without probiotics again. I didn't mention it here, but my h-pylori infection was, quite frankly, terrifying. I was told by my PCP all the ways that h-pylori at such a high level of infection could do real damage to my stomach and intestines, including cause stomach cancer. They actually tested me for cancer marker in my blood tests. Going into surgery I was scared to death because two weeks before I had my surgery, a woman on a FB group I'm a member of posted that she was going into surgery for her RnY and was so excited. The next post went something like "Well, I'm out of surgery but didn't get the RnY. My surgeon came in to tell me that he had to close me back up and call and oncologist. Looks like I have stomach cancer. I guess the RnY saved my life but not the way I wanted...." And it went on like that. Anyway, it turned out that she also had a raging h-pylori infection prior to surgery.

My h-pylori had been growing for years and I did not know it. The PCP thinks it is likely I picked it up in Europe back in 2012. I went into surgery freaked out that my surgeon would close me right back up because he found stomach cancer. I knew it could happen and it scared the shit out of me.

I'm not saying a probiotic can stop h-pylori from happening, but I am convinced it can help to have plenty of good gut bacteria to counteract whatever bad bugs get in there. Not all probiotics are the same (as has been correctly mentioned already above). I take Bio-Trust Pro-X10 with 50 billion CPU. It has to be refrigerated. One trick is to be sure you take your probiotic when eating a really high quality protein--any meat will do. I haven't had gas from it that I can discern. Good luck finding the one that works for you.

My GI doctor "prescribed"...and, of course, @DianaCox previously suggested...VSL #3. I balked because of how uncomfortable they made me years ago.

But I'm desperate now. From my GI doctor:

"The colon biopsies revealed 'focal acute cryptitis'. This means there was some level of inflammation in the colon which is improving. From the description of pathologist, this seems to be secondary to a resolving infection. I wonder if you had a viral gastroenteritis on top of the SIBO and the history of C. diff that threw everything out of control."

I went to...ugh...Sam's Club, because they were cheapest there...but still about $1/capsule. So I started them last Monday. It has again been very uncomfortable...BUT...there is observable progress and the horrid gas/bloating/etc is slowly decreasing.

So, VSL#3 is my current probiotic.

(And I feel your pain.)

So far I am seeing nothing but increased methane production!!!

Btw, my methane was 14ppm, normal is <12ppm, but my hydrogen was 38ppm and normal is only <20ppm. So hydrogen production is/was my issue. And combined "peak production," their term, was 52ppm when normal should be <15ppm.

I guess I could fuel our water heater.

Last edited:
My GI doctor "prescribed"...and, of course, @DianaCox previously suggested...VSL #3. I balked because of how uncomfortable they made me years ago.

But I'm desperate now. From my GI doctor:

"The colon biopsies revealed 'focal acute cryptitis'. This means there was some level of inflammation in the colon which is improving. From the description of pathologist, this seems to be secondary to a resolving infection. I wonder if you had a viral gastroenteritis on top of the SIBO and the history of C. diff that threw everything out of control."

I went to...ugh...Sam's Club, because they were cheapest there...but still about $1/capsule. So I started them last Monday. It has again been very uncomfortable...BUT...there is observable progress and the horrid gas/bloating/etc is slowly decreasing.

So, VSL#3 is my current probiotic.

(And I feel your pain.)
Sue I think you know this, but for kidney stone folks, the VSL#3 has the closest strain to O. formigene that we are able to buy (at least in the US) which is the strain that has been studied for metabolising oxalates in the gut, with hopes of reducing calcium/oxalate kidney stones.

Sue I think you know this, but for kidney stone folks, the VSL#3 has the closest strain to O. formigene that we are able to buy (at least in the US) which is the strain that has been studied for metabolising oxalates in the gut, with hopes of reducing calcium/oxalate kidney stones.

Omg...this DOES sound familiar. Thanks for mentioning it...I had forgotten.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back