"Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem."

DarkRoux

Etouffee or GTFO
My surgery is next week.

I have spent all of my spare waking moments reading each. and. every. single. thread regarding the DS on OH and proboards. Like I mentioned in my intro, I've research this surgery for almost a decade now and I think in general I have a decent handle on the ins and outs. However, after the anecdotal overload I've become increasingly anxious regarding longterm deficiencies, particularly calcium. The incidences of osteopenia/porosis seem widespread. Being in my mid-thirties gives me many years to malabsorb and suffer the consequences.

I understand no one has any easy answers. I also understand the surgery is a trade off of one set of health issues for a set of possible new ones. I suppose this is my own version of the pre-surgery freakout but I could use some words of wisdom.

You've done your research. You clearly know that the risks of not having surgery for your future health are far greater than the risks of having surgery.
Osteoporosis is a genuine concern. Fortunately, there is a lot you can do to prevent it by taking lots of vitamin D and calcium citrate, following your labs, and by staying active, particularly with weight bearing activity, which helps to maintain bone strength. Are there any guarantees? No.
However, consider also the risk to your bones, or more specifically your joints, if you remain MO. You have many years ahead to damage your joints with excess weight, then have joint replacements that are harder to recover from due to excess weight, and that also wear out quicker due to, you guessed it, excess weight. Even if you have no sign of arthritis...yet...the damage is cumulative and is already happening.
Of course, you might have less years to damage those joints than to develop malnutrition because you are likely to die younger if you remain MO, but that's a whole different issue.

Got your perspective back yet?

Larra said it oh so well, and trust me, Larra knows her stuff. While it is perfectly reasonable to freak out a bit as you near the date, you know from your research that as long as you have chosen a good DS surgeon who does a proper DS, that you are on your way to a much healthier life.

Freak out. Freak the hell out! But don't back out :) I allowed myself to freak out, planning for my demise, going on a last date with the hubz etc, knowing that I could back out at any time until I was 'out' on the table. By the time I was on the table I was so excited that I was dancing naked on the operating table to the music the team were listening to. I knew that this could be the end and I accepted that. My last thoughts as I went out where 'Thanks for a great life and all the people who loved me'...and Im a non-believer lol. But I also knew that if I made it to the other side, life would be better than I have ever known it to be :)

You got this! You have up until the person says 'now count backwards to 10'. Just keep that up your sleeve as you allow yourself to freak the hell out. It's a huge decision.

I want to thank all of you for the encouragement. I know each of you likely had the same thoughts and fears that I'm currently experiencing at some point before your surgeries.

@Larra you're right about all of it, of course. I keep trying to talk my way out of this surgery but in the end I know I will never be able to accomplish what the DS will. While I currently have zero co-morbidities I know it's just a matter of time before they appear. Thank you for putting it into perspective. Message received.

@Munchkin That avi isn't me, it's the majestic Ron Swanson. But, point taken :)

@DSRIGGS Thanks for the kind words

@DuodenalSwitchaRoo I'm taking your advice and freaking the hell out internally but I've got my eye on the prize and I won't punk out now. I've got visions of thinness to keep me calm!

Latest posts

Back