Complications...or lack thereof!

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
Seems we do hear a LOT about complications of WLS...nature of the beast. Those who have none just tend to go about life and not pop in saying, "Hi, I'm doing great, nothing is wrong".

So, for those who have had little to no complications from your WLS, post here. Let the ones who are still pre-op see that it's not a life of nothing but issues.

Adding: Please state how far out you are...not everyone has that info listed on their profile (or knows HOW to find it)

So I will start.
I have had only one complication that MIGHT be considered due to the WLS...I had to have my gallbladder removed 6 months later. Now, IF my surgeon had removed it during the DS as many do, I would have avoided that issue.

My iron....iron is pretty much a side effect but even those who have never had surgery can get anemia as well. Our advantage is that we are likely to catch it faster due to attention to labs.

Osteoporosis...even with good labs, there are still many factors that can cause this that can NOT be prevented, age, genetics, gender.

Last edited:
I've had zero complications...neither with my VSG nor with my conversion to DS with partial re-sleeve. Smooth sailing over here.
Unless you count chronic constipation a complication - which has been a problem for me for years but has been worse since my revision 7 weeks ago. I do think that once I'm further out and am getting more fats in my diet that it won't be as big an issue and I've also stopped taking oral calcium for now and am going to try the patches.

VSG 4/2010 sw 273 lw150
conversion to DS w/partial re-sleeve 11/2014 sw 195
Weight today 178

Last edited:
I've had zero complications...neither with my VSG nor with my conversion to DS with partial re-sleeve. Smooth sailing over here.
(unless you count chronic constipation a complication)
Many might, @star0210 but it's usually due to lousy NUT/Surgeon advice to stay away from fats.

Oh, and can you edit yours to mention how far out from each procedure?

I'm 6 weeks post op. Surgery Dec 1/14 Dr Greenbaum, revision from VBG to DS.
Zero complications, unless you count an adverse reaction to Zofran (anti-nausea drug made me nauseous).
I have had some nausea problems post op that have been well controlled with other nausea drugs.
Everything else textbook, which I am super relieved at as I was self-pay (coming from Canada to the US) and was petrified of the possible costs of a complication.

I am one year out as of tomorrow, yay!

I feel very lucky to have had surgery with so few negative side effects.

I have occasional stomach cramps well controlled with Prevacid.
I battle constipation. I get plenty of fat averaging 100 grams per day, get over 25 grams of fiber per day, I take 2 doses of Miralax per day, I take 1000 mg of magnesium oxide per day plus 6 stool softeners along with all my normal supplements according to labs. I will continue to experiment to find a good balance.

True! Always remember many of those who post are here because they have problems and are seeking answers. IRL most don't have problems and over time they don't even have to think about surgery anymore. It all becomes automatic.

I never had a real issue. Other than the fact I am still fat and I have a hernia I got from coughing when I was 6+ years postop. Surgery related? Maybe so, maybe not.

2 years 4 months out. Zero complications.
My only problem was appendicitis at 3 months out. Lap appendectomy which could have been avoided if it had been removed with my DS.

Edited to add I do have osteoporosis. I am almost 63, female, post menopausal, smoked for many years and have it in my family. Did my DS contribute to this? Guess I'll never know, but calcium level is mid range and PTH is low, so I believe it was coming anyway. I may even be more proactive now that I monitor my labs because of my DS.

Last edited:
I'm in my ninth year. Zero postop issues. Worst troubles so far are the occasional smelly gut from hell (requiring a round of Flagyl followed by intensive probiotic therapy) and have developed early osteoporosis, no doubt partially caused by the malabsorption, but I had several other risk factors as well.

I think zero complications...I had constipation once early out but after one painful BM (bricks, indeed) I started adding fiber and was fine.

it's possible I am forgetting something but it would be minor

I'm a little over 3 years out. I've surpassed my surgeons goal and I've been happy with my weight for the last 40 pounds. Today I actually fit in a size 12 jeans...they were loose. I'm having issues with my pants wiggling down through the day. As for side effects, I had a migraine after surgery and they kept me an extra two days, knocked me out and I woke up and drove myself home. Took pain meds for one day at home, just in case I might hurt :) I think it was one month later, I have a hereditary condition called Afib, it's where my heart doesn't beat quite right. I was born with it but it was never a diagnosed, after the surgery and the stress from weight loss, I ended up in a cardiac unit for a week. Under the care of a cardiologist for 6 months and I'm great and follow up with my PCP. I take 1/2 a blood pressure pill a day to regulate what was always there and could have and probably would have killed me without the surgery. I truly believe I would have died without the surgery either from the weight or the undiagnosed Afib.

After a long period of denial and flatulence that could have been used as a weapon of mass destruction, I finally admitted I am milk intolerant. I blamed everything but what I was eating, it was the milk/cheese/cream/ice cream doing it. If I have dairy, I smell like a sewer. My bowels are reasonable, looser than a non-DSr but totally controllable with diet and NO dairy. I eat what I want as long as I get my protein first. Foods high in sugar will cause loose bowels, so those I eat in moderation.

I would do it every year to keep my health and the way I feel. I have a busy career and I don't walk around like an old lady anymore.

HW 350ish SW 327ish CW 154 Age 53 Height 5'6"

11.5 year out. No DS related complications.

I had period of time about 3 or 4 years ago where I kept having symptoms that MIGHT have been a prelude to a partial bowel obstruction - but they stopped. Maybe just bacterial overgrowth/gas.

I need iron infusions - which means I don't have to take iron supplements - I almost consider that a benefit rather than a complication.

I'm still obese - but very very healthy. And lazy.

9 weeks post op. Life has changed but it is do-able. Down 43 lbs. About 70 left to go. I had a small stricture, caught early and resolved easily. I am definitely lactose intolerant now which is sad, but Lactaid helps. I am no longer diabetic, I dont need my cpap, I dont take cholesterol or blood pressure pills. My knees hardly hurt at all and have gone from Celebrex to Mobic. Taking prilosec still and started taking Devrom and it killed the stinky poo. Lol. So much happier. Down from size 22 to 16!

Latest posts

Back