Completely Confused and Not Sure What To Do

Ugh! He did my DS in 2008 and I couldn't sing his praises loud enough. He quit doing the DS at least as far back as 2014 as a routine. A woman from Nashville got one by "proving" she was worthy of it by threatening to go elsewhere. Over the years, my respect for him had lessened to the point where I thought I couldn't respect him any less. You problems with him have disproved that notion.

I quit recommending him. (Obviously!) I'm so sorry that he treated you so poorly.

Thanks everyone for the support and encouragement. I had my upper scope yesterday, and the GI doctor said there wasn't even enough pouch to measure. He said it looked close to the size of a grape, but not quite 2 cm. He said he has never seen such a small pouch, and that you couldn't even call it a gastric pouch. He couldn't understand why the surgeon would do that. And even worse, he said there is very little remnant stomach left. It looks like he removed almost all of my old stomach. He didn't see any ulcers, but took biopsies. I am completely baffled as to why the surgeon did this to me. I'm really scared now that there isn't enough old stomach left to even do a RNY to DS conversion. I trusted this guy and this is what he did to me. I'm trying to find out if he did this to anyone else, or just me. I almost wonder if something bad happened during surgery that required him to remove so much, but nothing in my medical records indicates this.

Wait a minute. The GI doc wouldn't be able to see any of your stomach except for the pouch. In other words, what is commonly called the blind stomach - the part that has been separated from the pouch - should still be in there, and should be plenty large. That is, unless there is something more to the story, some prior surgery on your stomach, that sort of thing. I think the use of the term "gastric remnant" is very confusing. There would be no reason to remove the rest of your stomach during gastric bypass surgery, and in fact that would turn the operation into a much bigger operation that would take significantly longer. Given that your surgeon made a big deal about not being able to do the DS because it would take him too long, I would be very surprised if he removed any of your stomach. The problem, from what you are being told, is that he made the pouch too small.
So, as far as revising to the DS, the concern would be that there has to be enough pouch so that the blind stomach could be sewn to the pouch, so that the revision surgeon wouldn't be sewing to the esophagus, and that a sleeve could be created without it including any of your esophagus.
The micro pouch certainly complicates your situation, but IMHO as someone who isn't an expert it sounds like you could at least consult with an experienced RNY to DS revision surgeon to see if revision to the DS might be possible. But definitely this is a case for only one of the revision experts. You said earlier that you have had lots of other tests since your gastric bypass was done. Is there anything like a CT scan or other type of scan that would have a comment about the blind stomach?

HMMMM. What Larra said, there is no way for that GI doc to know what stomach leftovers are still there. And your pouch was too small to measure???? The size of a grape? I can think of no good reason for your surgeon to have done this. Now you know why you are having problems.

So possible best of all worlds scenario, 90% of your stomach is still just sitting there. Can you go see Dr. K?

I'm so sorry this has happened to you. I hope you can go see Dr. K. He is an amazing surgeon and does the RNY to DS surgery. He did my revision from sleeve to DS, which is not as complicated as yours would be, but I would highly recommend him. Good luck!

Honestly Larra I was confused about the stomach remnant myself because he told my mom there was only a "fine line of old stomach he could see." My understanding has always been that the remnant stomach couldn't be visualized by an upper scope either. I plan to call his office in the morning for more clarification since I was still in recovery when he talked to my mom. None of the other tests I've had done even mention the stomach remnant or "old stomach so at this point I don't know what I have left. Now that I know for sure what size pouch I'm dealing with, I feel like I need to find a way to see Dr. K. I'm scared to trust anyone else at this point.

@Munchkin- yeah I finally understand where the problems are coming from. I asked an open question on the Center's Facebook page to see what size pouch he had/or was giving to others, and all my responses back were 1.5 oz or the size of a nectarine. So, I'm wondering why I was so blessed to get the pouch the size of a grape. Really makes me wonder if I was an experiment for him, or he made some sort of mistake in surgery and it was covered up. Either way I feel fully deceived and violated.

Thanks for the support. Honestly, Friday evening I really felt like just giving up. I had myself a pity party because I don't know how I'm going to come up with the money to get revision surgery and the thought of continuing to live like this makes me just want to die. Don't mean to be so dramatic, I've just been going through so many emotions this weekend. I know I have to hang in there and just keep fighting. I will find a way to make things happen. I really just don't understand why this surgeon would do this to me. He still hasn't bothered to call me back either.

i had a distal RNY in 2000. i had a minicule pouch according to Dr. K 13 years later in my surgicaI report believe mines was 2cm. All i could eat was slider foods. If i tried to eat dense protein i literally had to walk until i threw ever bit of it up because it would not go down. I honestly didn't realize that I had resorted to only eating side dishes and things covered in some type of Saul or is it was soft and mushy. I had severe dumping syndrome but my acid reflux was cured. Of course i started gaining Weight because i was eating high calorie slider foods. If you must fix your surgery i would convert to a DS. I definitely would try to see one of the super power vetted doctors . Good luck. Hang in there....

No, the unresponsible and unprofessional surgeon who created the mess cannot fix it. Do not even allow him near you. Go see Ayoola.
August 22 will be here before you know it.

I remember @Whit posted that she had an RNY micropouch prior to conversion to a DS. Maybe she can chime in here.

i did also and a distal RNY

@annabellarose77 I would suggest for clarity avoiding the term "remnant stomach" and using pouch for that puny grape sized thing and blind stomach for the part of the stomach that can't be visualized with a scope. These are the terms most people use, and while I can't speak for anyone else, I find the term remnant stomach confusing.
You were very entitled to a pity party after hearing that bad news. Now, on with the fight!

i had a distal RNY in 2000. i had a minicule pouch according to Dr. K 13 years later in my surgicaI report believe mines was 2cm. All i could eat was slider foods. If i tried to eat dense protein i literally had to walk until i threw ever bit of it up because it would not go down. I honestly didn't realize that I had resorted to only eating side dishes and things covered in some type of Saul or is it was soft and mushy. I had severe dumping syndrome but my acid reflux was cured. Of course i started gaining Weight because i was eating high calorie slider foods. If you must fix your surgery i would convert to a DS. I definitely would try to see one of the super power vetted doctors . Good luck. Hang in there....
Thank you for posting this. I'm sorry you had to go through that. This is what I've been dealing with, and it really helps to hear you were able to get a revision and to hear your story. Gives me hope I can get through this...

@annabellarose77 I would suggest for clarity avoiding the term "remnant stomach" and using pouch for that puny grape sized thing and blind stomach for the part of the stomach that can't be visualized with a scope. These are the terms most people use, and while I can't speak for anyone else, I find the term remnant stomach confusing.
You were very entitled to a pity party after hearing that bad news. Now, on with the fight!
Very true...I think very few medical doctors in this area understand bariatric surgery.

I've got a video consult with Dr. K this coming Monday. Kristina was very nice and genuine. She said something about they are in negotiations regarding their program fees so it may or may not be required. I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but it would really help not to have to pay that fee. Regardless, I just pray he will agree to do the revision. I decided that I want the best and deserve the best outcome, so whether I have to beg, borrow, or steal, I'm doing this. Lol.

I just wanted to thank everyone for your help, encouragement, and support. It really helps to be able to talk to others who can relate to/understand the situation I'm going through. My family and friends are supportive, but they don't understand the process of weight loss surgery and what it does physically and emotionally to our bodies.

I've got a video consult with Dr. K this coming Monday. Kristina was very nice and genuine. She said something about they are in negotiations regarding their program fees so it may or may not be required. I don't want to get my hopes up too high, but it would really help not to have to pay that fee. Regardless, I just pray he will agree to do the revision. I decided that I want the best and deserve the best outcome, so whether I have to beg, borrow, or steal, I'm doing this. Lol.

I just wanted to thank everyone for your help, encouragement, and support. It really helps to be able to talk to others who can relate to/understand the situation I'm going through. My family and friends are supportive, but they don't understand the process of weight loss surgery and what it does physically and emotionally to our bodies.

@annabellarose77 I know the program fee is tough to pay but I can tell you that I actually got the better end of that deal. Dr. K. provided more than $4000 follow-up care with me over the past year.

Latest posts

Back