Cat litter

SHales

I have not had a cat for years and now I have 2 adorable kittys (and 3 dogs). I have gone through about 7 brands of litter now and have yet to find one I like. I have 2 boxes but usually only 1 gets used. I scoop every morning and clean the whole thing and start fresh 0nce a week. My older cat doesn't like to use the box and goes outside mostly, the younger one has not been outside and I don't want her to get used to being outside. I am trying to retrain the older one to be an inside only cat and I am not making much headway.

My issues are that before the week is up the box smells even with the daily cleaning. Some litters don't clump or don't clump enough.

I cannot afford one of those boxes that sweeps itself.

Any suggestions? I know there are kitty lovers here. :)

We use the Scoop Away scoopable cat litter that is available at Costco or other retailers. We have two jumbo size litter boxes and one regular size box upstairs. We clean the boxes once a day and don't have to completely change the litter about once every 6 months. We have had numerous visitors to our house and unless they know it, no one knows we have cats.

And *I* am the one who remembered the last time they were completely changed (including scrubbing the litter boxes)...We were moving to our home here and that was back on Aug 5th!

And we have SIX indoor cats (did have 7 but we lost one in Dec)

I will try Scoop Away next. I did have one I like but it was a small bag and I threw the bag away. It looked kinda like sawdust. It sounds like the scoop away might be the ticket though. I know I will end up with more cats. The people around here do not spay and neuter, I HATE that. I am trying to educate some and there are some like-minded folks that are opening a rescue for dogs and cats. They are also working with some vets to come over and do this at a low cost so maybe things will improve.

Second for Scoop Away. I used it and it worked great, but it's kind of more expensive. I switched back to a cheap litter just because of price, but if I had the money, I'd totally use Scoop Away.

Sort of OT---have you seen the Febreeze commercial where they come to a woman's door to demonstrate the product as ask where the smelliest part of her apartment is and she replies "Well, I haven't cleaned the cat box in about two weeks..."

If there's ANYTHING that will de-stink that, I want some. (*grin*)

If I even go a week and a half without changing the litterbox, my cat will start pooping elsewhere.
Once, at 8 days from changing, he peed ON THE MATTRESS. I now change it every week without fail.
I love my cat, but some times I think he's like "How can I torture my owner today?"

Third for Scoop Away. I've tried 'em all too...Fresh Step, Arm & Hammer, Tidy Cat, etc. Scoop Away is the only one I buy because it's that good in my honest opinion. Clumps great and it keeps the stink factor down too.

No! I recently learned about the BEST cat litter - it's called - in a brilliant stroke of TRUE marketing - The World's Best Cat Litter. They sell it at PetSmart. It is amazing in every way - it doesn't get tracked out of the box nearly as much, even with GIGANTIC hairy cats with tufted fur feet. It clumps wonderfully. It absorbs the odor. And it LASTS - we have one tugboat sized litter box for our THREE ginormous shit machines cats, and my husband cleans it about once every three days, and the one big bag lasts 5+ weeks - yes, really.
http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/scoopable-multiple-cat-clumping-litter/
1239449_10151649633076173_2084515331_n.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back