Carb Confusion

Yup, sounds like a load of crap once you read about it, but the packaging made it so enticing! I know lots of people that bought it (myself included) when it first came out. Actually, I should make sure my parents aren't still using it o_O
I'm sure I would have bought it too had I seen it here. Low carb pasta that tastes like the real thing would be just too enticing to ignore. I guess that's what they were counting on!

I'm sure I would have bought it too had I seen it here. Low carb pasta that tastes like the real thing would be just too enticing to ignore. I guess that's what they were counting on!
Heck, dh and I even tried it (this was pre-op which is why I know how it affected my blood glucose). Told him at the time that given the fact that it didn't matter WHICH brand of pasta it was...I still needed the same amount of insulin, why WASTE our money.

I'm still feeling pretty sorry for myself if I'm honest. I cry out of frustration at least once a day. I feel so dependent on others that I feel 644lbs again, but worse as I have a huge hole in my body. But after I have my daily cry, I find the strength to get up and feel hopeful for the future.

When it comes to MFP, as long as you are entering UK/EU/OZ foods (you can tell because they are measured in metric lol) then the net carbs ARE the carbs :) On my MFP I track, carbs, fat, protein and fibre....mostly just for info as the ones I am interested in is carbs (which IS net carbs for us) and protein as the more protein I can swallow, it seems the faster I heal. I hope I am making sense lol, Net carbs are the same thing as carbs for us and MFP will reflect that already without some calculation voodoo :)
{{Hugs}} to you! I think you are doing amazing!! You will be strong and independent soon enough. Keep doing what you are doing.

Yep, makes perfect sense, thanks :).

Sorry you are feeling so bad :(. I do understand what you are saying about the open wound. I had two after my umbilical hernia repair in August 2012 - one just above and one just below my belly button. I had nurses coming to dress the wound until well into February 2013! I hope yours heals quicker than mine did, but in any case - you will get there! It does make it all just that much harder, though, I know.
It sounds like you and I had the same repair. Mine was in August of 2008, though. I only had one cut but it ran from above belly button around the belly button and down. They put staples in mine. You can still see on the sides of the scar where each staple hole was.

Definitely what they were counting on. This is what made me ask to begin with. Atkins had a protein bar with 17g protein and only 2g NET carbs!I thought "this is fantastic, I will have no trouble getting my protein and staying under 25g on my carbs after I get the DS". But you flip it over and total carbs are 23g!!! This could totally sabotage someone.

Definitely what they were counting on. This is what made me ask to begin with. Atkins had a protein bar with 17g protein and only 2g NET carbs!I thought "this is fantastic, I will have no trouble getting my protein and staying under 25g on my carbs after I get the DS". But you flip it over and total carbs are 23g!!! This could totally sabotage someone.
Thing is, it's not the total carbs versus net carbs but HOW many of those "carbs" are sugar alcohols...and how they affect your system.

TBH, I don't even look at total carbs in a protein bar...I look at total protein and HOW many sugar alcohols. Cause anything over 6 sugar alcohols a DAY is NOT gonna happen here. And 6 make me uncomfortable, 4 is far better.

The Atkins Net Carb amount is accurate from what I can tell. They are just deducting the fibre and sugar alcohols, which is fair enough. But as @southernlady says, the sugar alcohols can be a problem for some people (not all).

Latest posts

Back