Can I start working out now?

Marquis Mark

I'm 6 weeks out and able to get in 100 grams of protein/day through food and/or shakes. I'm concerned about losing muscle, especially in my upper body. After the first few weeks, my weight loss has slowed to about 1-2 pounds/week. I've only got 60 pounds to go.

So, with all of that, would starting weightlifting (just machines) help me sustain (or even build) my muscle or should I wait, or what?

I would not until you are getting in 150 grams of protein daily from food. Your body needs a certain amount of protein to fuel it and if you are burning extra energy by working out that protein will come from somewhere, and that is your muscle from what I understand. I could be wrong but that is my understanding, so by working out you could very well be defeating the purpose.

That is my two cents.

Walk. If you want to do more ask your doc when you will be cleared to work out. It is almost always longer than 6 weeks post major surgery. You don't want that little gift that keeps on giving...a hernia! I was told to lift nothing heavier than a gallon of milk for 8 weeks. I did as I was told and still ended up with the hernia.

Hi. Just noticed that our stats and goals are somewhat comparable (not exact of course). I'm going from VSG to DS on Feb 2. First, congrats on the surgery and your ongoing success. A few thoughts come to mind:

1. I believe it is common/expected for there to be a temporary 'stall' (or slowdown) a few weeks out from surgery. I've read a number of rationals, any of which could be true or false, but in any case, I think it is common and suspect it will pass.

2. I think, as suggested above, that even a mild increase in activity (ie walking), will probably have a huge metabolic effect for you at this time, without putting yourself at risk.

That being said, laproscopic surgery does heal much faster and maybe gradually increasing activity over the next few weeks might not be unreasonable....maybe start some light weights at the 8 wk mark?...with your surgeons blessing of course.

Cheers, and best of luck. Look forward to following your progress.

R

That being said, laproscopic surgery does heal much faster and maybe gradually increasing activity over the next few weeks might not be unreasonable....maybe start some light weights at the 8 wk mark?...with your surgeons blessing of course.
The outside heals faster but the inside heals the same whether it's lap or open.

Hi. Just noticed that our stats and goals are somewhat comparable (not exact of course). I'm going from VSG to DS on Feb 2. First, congrats on the surgery and your ongoing success. A few thoughts come to mind:

1. I believe it is common/expected for there to be a temporary 'stall' (or slowdown) a few weeks out from surgery. I've read a number of rationals, any of which could be true or false, but in any case, I think it is common and suspect it will pass.

2. I think, as suggested above, that even a mild increase in activity (ie walking), will probably have a huge metabolic effect for you at this time, without putting yourself at risk.

Cheers, and best of luck. Look forward to following your progress.

R

Thank you for that and to all who reply. I actually had open surgery, but I hear everyone's voice and think that just walking at this point would be good. At least until I can get my protein up. Also, the only setback I've had is some very painful constipation which has left the area sore for the last two weeks, Although, the area down there feels a bit better physically now, I'm having quite a bit of trouble "emptying" my bowels. I have about 4 BMs a day now and none of them leave me with that old "satisfied" feeling. Perhaps, just increasing my metabolism will help?

If anyone has any ideas on that, please chime in. I realize I'm hijacking my own thread!

Latest posts

Back