body fat going up..

cheryl baker

Ok.. I just realized that my body fat is going up up up even though my weight is going down.. this is not good..
On June 14th I weighted 160lbs. and was at my lowest body fat 29 percent. I really stopped paying attention after that since 29 percent was where I wanted to be. But with all the hoopla about my osteopenia turning into osterporosis I looked this am when I got on the scale. My weight was at 152 but my body fat went up to 32 percent.
I than went into fitbit web site and scrolled through my weight ins and saw a continual drop from my highest weight back in february of last year till june 14th.. gradual but continual drop.. But since 6/14 it has gradually but continually gone up. to my high right now of 32percent...
I imagine that having osteoporosis is probably lowering my lean body mass but from what I read this should be MUCH MUCH slower than 3percent in less than a month... maybe 3percent in 10 years...
ANY thoughts on why I have gained 3% body fat with my weight going down 8lbs in one month???
this seems toooo tooo fast...

i don't think your fat is necessarily increasing--just that you are losing muscle or water or a combination of both. if you weighed 100 pounds and had 20 pounds of fat, it would be 20%. Then if you lost 10 pounds of water/muscle, you would still have 20 pounds of fat but the percentage would go up to 22%. I wouldn't worry about it too much as long as you are staying active. You could think about adding weight resistance training if you're not doing so now in your exercise routine too.

And exactly how was your body fat measured? Unless you were immersed in a tank of water with computerized sensors measuring you, there's just no truly accurate way to measure it. It's a "rough estimate" really of your body fat composition...nothing more. Do be sure to keep your protein intake up or you WILL lose muscle mass. But I'd not worry about a test with a +/- accuracy range of probably 10% .
:th youknow:

My BF% varies by the day according to my Aria scale. I lose a pound I gain 2% BF. I gain two pounds and lose 3% BF. It's all over the place for me. I ignore it. :)

Not to sound dismissive of your concern, but why do you care what your body fat percentage is if you are losing weight and healthy?

It's counterintuitive for the two to not be in sync.

I think the question is more on whether it's normal or something else entirely. :)

so I did some reading and investigating on my situation and after some thinking I decided to run a test. I decided that the ICE COFFEE I had started drinking recently MUST be the cause of the bf percent on my scale going up. I came to this decision because some people say coffee makes you dehydrated. Not quite the case it is a diuretic which could of course make you dehydrated. I also read that if you were dehydrated that would make the scale show your bodyfat as going up. SOOOOO about a week ago I quit drinking my ice coffee. one week later my scale now reads 28 or 29 percent bodyfat instead of the 33 or 34 percent it had shown 1 week prior.. You can guarantee my bf did not go down 5 percent in a week hahahaha.. I am ogoing to five it a few more days and assuming it stays there I am going to start drinking my ice coffee again and see if it magically goes up again. If it does than I will know for sure that that is all it was..
course now maybe my dizzyness and other symptoms that I thought were from my messed up blood work were from being dehydrated... guess we will see...

I've been dealing with this for years and I've never found any correlation between caffeine and BF%. My first few years post-op I didn't drink any caffeine at all (sometimes tea) and it still happened to me. Now I'm constantly drinking coffee or diet soda and it still happens.

I've been dealing with this for years and I've never found any correlation between caffeine and BF%. My first few years post-op I didn't drink any caffeine at all (sometimes tea) and it still happened to me. Now I'm constantly drinking coffee or diet soda and it still happens.

Wow, great to see you here. Haven't seen you in forever!

Latest posts

Back