big settlement against seller of "miracle" diet product

Larra

http://www.vox.com/2015/1/26/7916745/green-coffee-bean

By now I suppose most everyone is aware that many of the diet products seen on various "medical" TV shows are useless and have no scientific backing whatsoever. Sadly, that doesn't stop TV doctors from promoting them. My theory is two-fold:
1. given the ongoing obesity epidemic, any show that features a miracle weight loss product will attract lots of viewers, and thus more advertising revenue, which is what TV is all about, and
2. the TV doctors have an hour to fill several days/week and any fodder will do. Gotta fill that time!

I'm glad the government actually went after this particular snake oil producer and hope they will go after more of them. Of course, the same people can always create some other product with a new name and a new come-on, because enough people will try anything claiming to help with weight loss that they only need to capture a small percentage of the potential market. But maybe a string of big settlements will convince at least some people that this "diet industry" is all about profit, and that in fact if any one product actually worked it would put the entire industry out of business.

I'm all for this! But I imagine these 'business entities' make sure they have no real assets that can be attached and would run, not walk, to the bankruptcy court. I think we need to figure out a way to really punish these people. They know their products don't work so their intent was to defraud from the very beginning.

And how does Dr. Oz keep his license? I know he is not the only one but docs like him make me angry.

@Munchkin I don't know anything about his license, but he did find himself testifying in Congress last year, and didn't look too happy about it.

I think this business entity will have to fork over the money, but I agree that they will be back, perhaps under a different name, with another product with a different name. Could be for weight loss, could be for some anti-aging product, could be some exercise gadget, could be for arthritis, but they'll think of something.

Latest posts

Back