last year's weight loss "miracles"

I only even posted that to you because I knew you'd be a good sport about it. :) I have several things that I consistently misspell for some reason... they just get stuck in my brain the wrong way. And now that I'm in Aus, there's a whole new vocabulary for me to learn... favourite, colour, and pyjamas, and that's just for starters. :) Okay, enough horsing around. ;)

Mostly I hear about the fat burning 'stacks'. Some pill that's supposed to burn up all your excess fat. Late nite TV ads. Crap! Total crap! And yet some poor desperate fatty WILL cough up the money!

Remember AYDS? It was a weight reduction CANDY! You were supposed to eat 2 with a hot drink before meals. It was one of the first of it's ilk back in the 50's and 60's. My FIL, who needed the DS desperately, used to tell a story about the time he went out and bought a large box. And the boxes were huge, like 5 lbs. He opened the box, got a cup of coffee and sat down to eat his 2 Ayds before dinner. They were pretty darn good...like caramels. And he ate the whole box instead of having dinner!

I do remember AYDS, though that was a bit before my time. They eventually had to change the name when the AIDS epidemic came around, and they have since disappeared from the diet scene.
I also remember Metrical, which my Mom tried. I tried it once. It was like drinking liquid straw and made me feel sick.
Just goes to show that this has been going on for years. As older products fall out of use (because they didn't work), newer products take their place. They won't work either, but no matter, the companies that profit from them will think of something else for next year.

@Parousia that's why I said "miracles" with quotes. The results of the DS are neigh unto miraculous and, IMHO, this operation is not part of the billion dollar diet industry. Don't get me started about lap band, though. I'm talking about the new and retread products that come out every new year for people to waste their money on. Whatever money you spent on your DS, even if you were self-pay, it wasn't wasted.
I understood what you were getting at, Larra. I just wanted to make the point to others reading this thread that there is something that truly does work, and to me, at least, it really has been pretty darn miraculous. The answer to all the scams out there, if you like :).

Last edited:
i agree entirely. just wanted to quickly add that i find it appalling that Dr. Oz who is actually a cardiac surgeon broadcasts total baloney on his show for medical advice (for such a qualified and experienced surgeon to act like a quack...it's ridiculous..just goes to show how people in that health infotainment/diet industry...can be such sell outs even when highly educated in medicine), and he's now selling some fat busting drug? Wow. Pathetic. It's so important for people to not fall for appeals to authority, because from TV quacks, to ill educated nutritionists and clueless doctors, its just a fallacious line of reasoning that doesn't help anyone. I am not arguing against quality medical care of course, but just saying we have to critical consumers of information from any source.

Latest posts

Back