BEAT THIS!!

:(

I'm glad you helped her.

Giant Internet Hugs!
Rereading what I wrote, it “sounded” like I GIFTED her $700. She DID volunteer to assist, BUT this IS what she does to supplement her income between gigs. And I’m pretty sure she charges “strangers” a lot more than $500 for three days of non-stop (she’s ADHD) motion, pricing, organizing, reorganizing and interacting with buyers and sellers. (And $200 of the $700 was for dinner for three at a not-cheap…because there aren’t any cheap places nearby…place.)

So, yes, I did pay her when I was under no LEGAL obligation to do so. But she was under no obligation to DONATE three days’ worth of her expertise /labor to the parents of a friend, since she could have been selling that time to someone else. For more money.
@Spiky Bugger you have outed yourself as the good person that you are.

The thing that ALWAYS shocked my students was when big, bad, mean ole MrsSue could not read:
  • “In spite of everything, I still believe that people are really good at heart.” ...
from The Diary of Anne Frank w/out choking up and almost sobbing. Every year! LOL

Warning! Save that book for THE END of Eighth Grade. But we’d START the school year, and all through the year, acknowledging Jewish holidays so we would recognize them in the book.

I retired 20+ years ago and still have their artwork. It was great. My kids were like 90+% Latino. But one activity was making latkes. One kid came in screaming, “Guess what! My abuelo is Jewish! My grandma showed me how she used to make latkes for him and we had them last night!”

But it tore me up. My HS BFF’s dad had the numbers on his arm.

“Good person” might be stretching it. “Secret Softie” might be closer…lol

A $700 loss doesn't seem so bad considering the story you got. Also, you're much braver than I am. I can't imagine surviving a yard sale. My few ventures into that territory have been a group effort for fundraising for clubs or associations. Now I'm working up the nerve to hire a hoarder cleaner-upper.
Find a Senior Downsizing Help place. Two have come out and helped us decide what to toss, sell or send to an antique auction. Each would like the antique auction business/commission, but there was no charge for their time so far.

There’s always a post script, isn’t there?

K got her car into safe enough condition to drive. And the VISA Debit card was rejected. It was like giving someone a birthday check and having the check bounce.

Apparently, CA was irritated that too many of us were holding on to the cards instead of stimulating the economy. So they are mailing out checks and deactivating the unused cards.

So I had to ZELLE a whole OTHER $700 to K. Now
I have to find my check.

Why is nothing easy?

Find a Senior Downsizing Help place. Two have come out and helped us decide what to toss, sell or send to an antique auction. Each would like the antique auction business/commission, but there was no charge for their time so far.
Yes, I've been wanting to find something like this. I freely admit there's a lot of shit that needs tossed. Yet there are some useful things. I'm especially curious how many bread pans we have. Every time Mr. K9 baked banana bread, he couldn't find the pan so he just kept buying them. And I'm sure if he wanted to bake some today, we still couldn't find a pan. Life is never dull around here.

Yes, I've been wanting to find something like this. I freely admit there's a lot of shit that needs tossed. Yet there are some useful things. I'm especially curious how many bread pans we have. Every time Mr. K9 baked banana bread, he couldn't find the pan so he just kept buying them. And I'm sure if he wanted to bake some today, we still couldn't find a pan. Life is never dull around here.
Bread pans reminded me of a family day.

My late BIL Bob came out of my mom’s (his mother-in-law’s) kitchen (which we were packing, to move her) with his hands full.
Bob: Where’s the other one?
Me: The other WHAT?
Bob: The other potato peeler. They’re sold by the dozen, right? And I could only find eleven.
Me: (Laughing.)
Mom: When people come over for a holiday meal, they always ask how they can help. I tell them they could peel a potato.
Me: Mom, this is a 750 square foot apartment. Is there enough ELBOW ROOM for a dozen people to peel potatoes at once? In fact, is there enough room for a dozen people standing still?
Mom: Smart Asses. I am a sick, elderly woman surrounded by smart asses.

@#$&@#$&

I’m thinking he needed to make two each of meat loaf and bake bread and make ice cream for dessert and cinnamon quick bread for the next morning’s breakfast and strawberry sorbet.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back