BEAT THIS!!

How in the hell did you manage that?
Well, see…mostly we wanted things gone. The more costly, antique-y stuff was not in that sale. But I’m a physical disaster (more nerve testing this morning) and MrSue’s organizational skills have wandered off into the forest, so we needed LOTS of help.

MiniSue & MrMiniSue were there. MiniSue’s good buddy who no-showed on a previous work event was there doing penance, so his labor was free.

But, THEN, there’s K. She is a brilliant woman from an interesting family. Her late mom collected lime Jello. Boxes and cases and cartons of lime Jello. Her dad, now retired, was a surgeon…with narcolepsy…a somewhat career-limiting condition. One sibling found luggage on sale and bought several pieces and shared. Mom returned from Cabo the same day one son was taking off for London…which explains how K’s brother ended up in London with a suitcase full of women’s swim clothes, lingerie and underwear.

K has been sick, had surgeries and works in an on-again-off-again industry. She’s MORE than a tad ADHD, and she’s broke. So she does occasional yard sale prep, including pricing, advertising and negotiating with buyers, awaiting her next real gig. She sold some item of hers for $14 and asked me for her $14 right away, because her car was leaking gas.

Well, shit, too. Fourteen dollars? Leaking gas?

So…when it was all done, I realized that I still had the $700 VISA Debit card from the CA middle class taxpayer thing. And K needed a working car to work in SoCal. So, I gave her the debit card & told her to take herself, MiniSue & MrMiniSue to dinner and keep the change. For her THREE DAYS OF NONSTOP LABOR. (We are not Santa Claus. But we had possessed that debit card for about two years and apparently didn’t REALLY have a deep need for it…and meanwhile, someone we care for was apparently really struggling and had a REAL need for $ to be able to keep working.)

We had forgotten to count the cash in the shoebox, so…MiniSue got $200 for the stuff she sold and we ended up with $377 of the shoe box money for our stuff.

So our ACTUAL loss was only $323. We would have had to pay more to have things hauled away.

Now…the 1920’s -1930’s Jacobean-style dining room and bedroom furniture including a “serpentine footboard,” my grandparents had. Still gotta sell that stuff.

I’m a physical disaster (more nerve testing this morning)
:(
She’s MORE than a tad ADHD, and she’s broke. So she does occasional yard sale prep, including pricing, advertising and negotiating with buyers, awaiting her next real gig. She sold some item of hers for $14 and asked me for her $14 right away, because her car was leaking gas.
I'm glad you helped her.

Giant Internet Hugs!

A $700 loss doesn't seem so bad considering the story you got. Also, you're much braver than I am. I can't imagine surviving a yard sale. My few ventures into that territory have been a group effort for fundraising for clubs or associations. Now I'm working up the nerve to hire a hoarder cleaner-upper.

I’ve only done ONE yard sale in my life. After that I swore off doing them ever again. We actually did well with that one but the effort was exhausting.

A $700 loss doesn't seem so bad considering the story you got. Also, you're much braver than I am. I can't imagine surviving a yard sale. My few ventures into that territory have been a group effort for fundraising for clubs or associations. Now I'm working up the nerve to hire a hoarder cleaner-upper.
If you were nearby, I’d recommend K!

:(

I'm glad you helped her.

Giant Internet Hugs!
Rereading what I wrote, it “sounded” like I GIFTED her $700. She DID volunteer to assist, BUT this IS what she does to supplement her income between gigs. And I’m pretty sure she charges “strangers” a lot more than $500 for three days of non-stop (she’s ADHD) motion, pricing, organizing, reorganizing and interacting with buyers and sellers. (And $200 of the $700 was for dinner for three at a not-cheap…because there aren’t any cheap places nearby…place.)

So, yes, I did pay her when I was under no LEGAL obligation to do so. But she was under no obligation to DONATE three days’ worth of her expertise /labor to the parents of a friend, since she could have been selling that time to someone else. For more money.

Latest posts

Back