Back Pain

CaraOC

Credentialed Bitch
i never experienced back pain prior to surgery but I'm 2 weeks post op and I'm experiencing mid back pain and it's increasing in intensity. I had a lapband to DS conversion. Anyone else experience this pain or know the causes?

Last edited:
I'm so sorry.

Exactly two weeks out I awoke with screaming low back pain. I hobbled to a chiropractor who said laying on an OR table for hours in a fixed, awkward position can cause back issues, especially for the obese. He was not a very good chiropractor, however, and did not help at all. Three months later and I am still in agony with constant sciatica down my left leg. I just went to an orthopedic surgeon and had a MRI yesterday afternoon. I hope they find something that can be treated. I have not been able to do any serious exercise because of my back which has slowed my weight loss -- VERY disappointing.

Despite my chiropractor experience, I recommend starting there. The orthopod even suggested physical therapy. Good luck. I hope you find relief.

(I saw a picture on the MBC site with the surgeon working the tools in the trocars while sitting between the patient's spread legs. I don't know if this was a photo of an actual surgery or staged, but if they really had my legs spread that wide for 4 hours I'm not surprised my back revolted.)

i never experienced back pain prior to surgery but I'm 2 weeks post op and I'm experiencing mid back pain and it's increasing in intensity. I had a lapband to DS conversion. Anyone else experience this pain or know the causes?
I feel your pain.
Part of it was how you were placed on the OR table. Unlike what we THINK, they do not typically leave a patient horizontal to the ground. Usually you get rotated into a more upright position. And that takes time to resolve.

Another part is the weight coming off shifts your center of balance. You aren't yet use to this new one and your back is screaming as a result.

Take it easy, and see if a heating pad will help. You are still too early out for any ibuprofen so if it bothers you greatly, see if your surgeon can give you a mild muscle relaxer to help ease the pain.

I had lower back pain for the first 24 hours, I assume due to how I was placed on the operating table, but it's thankfully resolved. Hot water bottles were a big help to me.

I've had two attacks today of awful mid back pain. It feels like freakin kidney stones!! I know its probably trapped gas after laparoscopic surgery. But holy mother of god this shit hurts!! Anyone have this trapped gas pain? Or similar??? I need help.

I've had two attacks today of awful mid back pain. It feels like freakin kidney stones!! I know its probably trapped gas after laparoscopic surgery. But holy mother of god this shit hurts!! Anyone have this trapped gas pain? Or similar??? I need help.
I had trapped gas pain but it was in shoulders.

At two weeks out you shouldn't have surgical gas trapped. I think I told you in another post, that at 3 weeks post DS surgery I had a stone. I had very bad lower back pain so I went to the ER and they admitted me because dr suspected a marginal ulcer. They put me on pain meds immediately and I was NPO. It took care of the pain but a urologist went in to get stone and the stone got pushed back into my kidney (he told me It was a risk).

In any case I had take your breath away pian that wasn't letting up so I went to the ER. You need to the same if this keeps up.... But I am pretty sure you know that.... Hope it gets better soon!

I had trapped gas pain but it was in shoulders.

At two weeks out you shouldn't have surgical gas trapped. I think I told you in another post, that at 3 weeks post DS surgery I had a stone. I had very bad lower back pain so I went to the ER and they admitted me because dr suspected a marginal ulcer. They put me on pain meds immediately and I was NPO. It took care of the pain but a urologist went in to get stone and the stone got pushed back into my kidney (he told me It was a risk).

In any case I had take your breath away pian that wasn't letting up so I went to the ER. You need to the same if this keeps up.... But I am pretty sure you know that.... Hope it gets better soon!
OMG I'm quite convinced I have kidney stones. I had them once before and this is getting very familiar!!! Of fuck no!! I'm gonna float my kidneys in water see if I can't do something about this quick!!! I already had the gallbladder out years ago so it ain't that!!

If it is a kidney stone, you want to get this treated before it gets to the urgent stage where you are vomiting non-stop and in a panic. I always thought the pain was from the movement of the stone but new research says, no, it is the swelling of the vessels and ureter with urine behind the stone that causes the pain. Someone here (@bearmom maybe?) has tried a heavy duty vibrator to shift the stone enough to allow the urine to drain. (This has to be repeated until the stone passes.)

However, please consider that this may have nothing to do with a kidney stone. Pancreatic pain frequently presents itself as mid back pain, not abdominal pain. Ditto for other organ problems that one would think would cause belly pain, not back pain, including upper intestinal (uh, like at upper anastomosis). If you still have this tomorrow, consider getting in to see your PCP. Unless you're doing lamaze breathing because of the pain, it probably isn't worth the expense of a ER trip. (All insurance is different, but mine only covers post-op complications for unapproved bariatric surgeries for pneumonia, heart attack, uncontrolled vomiting, or exacerbation of pre-existing co-morbidities. It WOULD cover a kidney stone as no way can that be directly related to this surgery -- the army learned from our middle east desert warfare that kidney stones take 80-90 days to form.)

Good luck with getting this sorted out.

If it is a kidney stone, you want to get this treated before it gets to the urgent stage where you are vomiting non-stop and in a panic. I always thought the pain was from the movement of the stone but new research says, no, it is the swelling of the vessels and ureter with urine behind the stone that causes the pain. Someone here (@bearmom maybe?) has tried a heavy duty vibrator to shift the stone enough to allow the urine to drain. (This has to be repeated until the stone passes.)

However, please consider that this may have nothing to do with a kidney stone. Pancreatic pain frequently presents itself as mid back pain, not abdominal pain. Ditto for other organ problems that one would think would cause belly pain, not back pain, including upper intestinal (uh, like at upper anastomosis). If you still have this tomorrow, consider getting in to see your PCP. Unless you're doing lamaze breathing because of the pain, it probably isn't worth the expense of a ER trip. (All insurance is different, but mine only covers post-op complications for unapproved bariatric surgeries for pneumonia, heart attack, uncontrolled vomiting, or exacerbation of pre-existing co-morbidities. It WOULD cover a kidney stone as no way can that be directly related to this surgery -- the army learned from our middle east desert warfare that kidney stones take 80-90 days to form.)

Good luck with getting this sorted out.
I guess I am lucky because my insurance covers most things and is just a $50 copay.

Yep, it's me that will vibrate (and wiggle, twist, jump up and down, and do strenuous GRUNTY things) to move a kidney stone. The sooner you can get them on their way, the better. If you get confirmation it is in fact a kidney stone, Flomax can help keep "tubes" opened up for the stones to pass.

Back pain is classic kidney stone pain, when they are still in the kidney. Referred pain is common with them too so will present in other places and kinds of discomfort, but usually after they start to move.

OMG I'm quite convinced I have kidney stones. I had them once before and this is getting very familiar!!! Of fuck no!! I'm gonna float my kidneys in water see if I can't do something about this quick!!! I already had the gallbladder out years ago so it ain't that!!
I hope your feeling better!

Latest posts

Back