avacados are delicious!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cheryl baker

Now this may seem a rather odd thing to post.. But somewhere about 8 months ago ppl were trying to get me to get more fat in my diet and suggested avacados. I tried everything I could do eat one. It was gross and disgusting and not even chocolate or peanut butter could save it.
Over the past 8 months i have tried one every once and awhile and gross gross.. today I cut open an avacado sprinkled it with a little salt and ate it. IT WAS DELICIOUS..
Odd how your taste buds change like that..
just in case you thought you hated avacados you might want to give them a shot again :)

I'm glad you found a good source of a healthy fat for your diet...but I hated avocado even before my DS and I'm not going there now! There are lots of good sources of fat and if this one works for you, go for it.

@Larra are you sure we aren't twins???

1) both of us run very high B12
2) both of us have tape allergies
3) Neither of us are successful with Hunk O'Critter
and NOW 4) not liking avacado...before or after DS.

@Larra are you sure we aren't twins???

1) both of us run very high B12
2) both of us have tape allergies
3) Neither of us are successful with Hunk O'Critter
and NOW 4) not liking avacado...before or after DS.
So does this mean you two don't like guacamole? If so I may have to defriend you two! :p Wait, this isn't facebook...dang!

BTW, hunk of critter stunk up my house something awful and the onion taste was too strong for the pork......and I love sauteed onions.

Well, I don't...and I have tried.
lots of onion, cilantro, some tomato and some tomitila sauce...mmm, mmm, mmm.

I just asked because I am not a big fan of avocado by itself but I do like good guacamole because I think the other good stuff covers up/enhances the bland avocado flavor.

I always wanted a sister!

No, don't like guacamole, which is practically a crime out here in CA.
Yes it is! Wine would be another serious criminal offense in your neck of the woods. Did I ever tell you I used to travel to Napa a few times a year when I ran a plant who printed a good many of the liquor labels in the country? We owned a facility in Napa who made wine labels so I would go out for meetings/conferences ever so often. Those guys knew the good wines and great restaurants, but that was nearly 20 years ago now.

Lol, I love hunk o' critter to pieces, the broth even makes the best french onion soup!! :)

1/2 avocado filled with canned tuna in olive oil, squeeze of lime and some hot sauce=lunch for me! I just hate the damn things are usually so expensive.. which makes getting the off/bruised ones really a pisser. Fav bfast, egg sunny side up, avo slices, bacon and fresh home-grown (or closest possible tomatoes) & salt sprinkled on everything..

I've been without for weeks, I need to go groc shopping badly. I should be sleeping, I'm nibbly and for things I don't have in the house..

One avocado, cut in half, pit removed.
Using a small sharp knife, slice the meat into thin slices one way (don't break the skin!) and then the other, to make lots of channels down to the skin.
Pour in many tablespoons of lemon juice, to fill the shell, salt the hell out of it, and then dive in with a spoon.

It was always my dream, since I lived for about 3 months in a house that had this in Santa Monica, to have an avocado tree and a lemon tree in my backyard, and eat my breakfast from the trees every day. Just as well, since I have to eat protein now ...

I love, love, love avocados, though I overdid them for the last few months and am now taking a break from them. Guac is an OBSESSION, haha. I've noticed my palate changing though - I can tolerate much more tart things than I could before. Interesting.

For most of my life, I did not even know avocados existed. When I was a kid, if it wasn't something we could grow ourselves here in northern Illinois, we rarely ate it. My kids look at me like I'm a lunatic or something out of the Little House books when I tell them that every Christmas, we would each get an apple, orange, and banana in our Christmas stockings.

As an adult, I discovered everyone else knew and liked avocados. I tried them; hated them. Couldn't stand guac. Married a Latino and spent years giving him anything avocado-related that ever graced my plate in the various Latino restaurants we always ate at (the only non-Latino restaurant he would ever try was Chinese, so he got a lot of avocado from me ...).

And then suddenly, my tastes changed, and I love avocados. And guac. And wish I could go back and recoup all those years of donations I made to him!

For a couple of years, life was great, my kids would take one look and not even want to try avocados. I mean, seriously, they were green and slippery, what kid wants to eat that? Then the oldest tried my homemade guac, and loved it. So I had competition. Then the little one decided she loved it, but at least my middle kid, the boy, was still holding out. But somewhere in the last year, his taste buds woke up, too, and now there's no way mama can buy a couple of avocados for herself. It's buy at least six (and hope I get to them before the kids), or none.

I guess I'm glad the three of them are pretty open-minded when it comes to food. We have a lot of contact with international students & faculty at the university, so even though they are only 9, 11, and 13, it's important that they be respectful and open to other cultures and willing to try different foods. My oldest is even teaching herself Korean, and I have a stinky container of kimchi in my fridge. I just sometimes wish they still thought my avocados were gross! :)

For most of my life, I did not even know avocados existed. When I was a kid, if it wasn't something we could grow ourselves here in northern Illinois, we rarely ate it. My kids look at me like I'm a lunatic or something out of the Little House books when I tell them that every Christmas, we would each get an apple, orange, and banana in our Christmas stockings.

As an adult, I discovered everyone else knew and liked avocados. I tried them; hated them. Couldn't stand guac. Married a Latino and spent years giving him anything avocado-related that ever graced my plate in the various Latino restaurants we always ate at (the only non-Latino restaurant he would ever try was Chinese, so he got a lot of avocado from me ...).

And then suddenly, my tastes changed, and I love avocados. And guac. And wish I could go back and recoup all those years of donations I made to him!

For a couple of years, life was great, my kids would take one look and not even want to try avocados. I mean, seriously, they were green and slippery, what kid wants to eat that? Then the oldest tried my homemade guac, and loved it. So I had competition. Then the little one decided she loved it, but at least my middle kid, the boy, was still holding out. But somewhere in the last year, his taste buds woke up, too, and now there's no way mama can buy a couple of avocados for herself. It's buy at least six (and hope I get to them before the kids), or none.

I guess I'm glad the three of them are pretty open-minded when it comes to food. We have a lot of contact with international students & faculty at the university, so even though they are only 9, 11, and 13, it's important that they be respectful and open to other cultures and willing to try different foods. My oldest is even teaching herself Korean, and I have a stinky container of kimchi in my fridge. I just sometimes wish they still thought my avocados were gross! :)
So, like you I've almost always hated avocados and any derivative of them. .......until I was pregnant with my now 2 year old (almost 3). I started liking guacamole, and eventually tried plain avocado in a wrap. Now I can't walk past the fresh made guacamole or avocados in the grocery store without grabbing one or the other, or both. Since I am preop, my fear now is that my taste for avocados will change postop. What a waste that would be!

Latest posts

Back