Anyone Need to Gain Weight?

I had zero on-line info when I started my DS journey. I bumbled onto the DS by sheer dumb luck. I only found this group afterwards, when I was early post-op. I am thankful every day that I didn't buckle to the pressure to get a RNY or just the sleeve.

Learning DS eating messes with your mind. It goes against everything we've been hammered with all our lives about the food pyramid and nutrition.

All this stuff can be learned. Your wife is lucky to have someone to cook for her.

Have you made bacon wrapped shrimp for her yet? I got that recipe from a DS gathering in Grand Rapids I went to once. A spouse had perfected it for his wife, a DSer. It was the first protein I could eat consistently without it getting stuck. He wrapped pre-cooked shrimp with thin pre-cooked bacon, skewered them with toothpicks, then broiled (or baked) them drizzled with honey teriyaki marinade. I add sesame seeds for a nutty flavor and even more protein.

I also found Jenni-O Turkey POT ROAST in the deli section, they package them hot, just like roast chicken? And they are magically all dark meat, wrapped around a turkey leg bone. Those are truly the BEST thing I've found ready to eat lately. They are covered with turkey skin, too. I don't know how they make them, but it's magical.

Thanks Sheanie! She's got up to 118# then the next day down a pound, then up again. But the day she was down so busy at work she forgot to eat. We are both working on having easy to eat foods for her in these situations. I just booked a vacation at the end of next month and I am sure with all the relaxation, she will gain more weight quickly. At least I am crossing my fingers she will. Thanks again everybody!

Thanks Sheanie! She's got up to 118# then the next day down a pound, then up again. But the day she was down so busy at work she forgot to eat. We are both working on having easy to eat foods for her in these situations. I just booked a vacation at the end of next month and I am sure with all the relaxation, she will gain more weight quickly. At least I am crossing my fingers she will. Thanks again everybody!

It can be very tough to keep eating when stress feels like it closes your throat or gut. I feel for your wife. I hope she can find a way to do focused stress management to care for herself, so it gets easier to nibble constantly. A dish of trail mix on hand at all times is a great idea, maybe with some kind of cue in her environment that will remind her to "eat like a bird" (constant nibbling).

I am so sorry to hear about her struggles.

I work in nursing homes and when I meet people who are underweight and having trouble gaining they are frequently turned off by the "huge" pile of food they see on a plate they are served that is, in reality, considered normal.

so very small servings may look more palatable.

basically, you have to go by what she feels and wants but yes, eating frequently is necessarily. she should never be without a small snack of whatever she can tolerate.

eating "what" I will leave to others.

Latest posts

Back