Anybody ever cook in a clay pot?

Elizabeth N.

Herder of cats
Very early in my sojourn in Germany I was gifted with this thing called a Roemertopf.
Romertopf.jpg
It was the coolest thing EVER and I used it lots. Then when I came back to the USA, I got in the habit of using a crockpot and out of the habit of using this gadget. Every once in a while I'd grab it while cleaning out a cabinet and remember it made a mean hunk of meat.

The secret to clay pot cooking: You soak the pot and lid submerged in water overnight or longer before you use it. Not doing that can lead to a nasty explosion in the oven :).

Last night I cooked up a delightful hunk of London broil with taters and onions, seasoned with some mushroom soup mix and some ranch dressing mix. YUM YUM YUM. Y'all should try one of these gadgets sometime.

Love love love love. Have been roasting veg this way since I was a teen. Easiest way to get authentic Mediterranean stew experience too. No burning. Just yum. Flavors are perfection and it's so easy. Inspired me to make a stew tonight EN!

Have you used Pampered Chef stoneware? I wonder if they work similarly? I have one and never use it.

Haven't. Is it clay? If so, probably. Clay pots (in this case covered with a clay lid) are an old old cooking method. I was told it's Turkish/Ottoman but many Thai dishes and Indian dishes also cooked in clay -- would imagine the concept is similar anyway.

My husband Todd had one (it finally sadly bit it after a decade of service) and for years, anytime he'd make me a dinner- it would be in this. I recall years ago, the late night pasta casseroles he'd whip up after all the friends converged on his house post-wherever on a late friday night. Some amazing things can come out of one of these.. His was unglazed on the inside, I've seen the ones where the bottom is glazed and the top isn't.. Now I just have some heavy enameled cast iron dutchies.. no clay pots.

Latest posts

Back