Any DS surgeons in California or Utah who accept Medicaid?

ShmittyInVegas

Since there are no DS surgeons here in Nevada, I will be looking at out-of-state surgeons. One of which is Dr. Simper in Utah. Does anyone know if he or any other DS surgeon accept medicaid?

One thing to NOT consider is ANYONE in AZ. DO.NOT.GO.THERE. There are surgeons who say they do it, including Blackstone, Hilario Juarez, Simpson, and the possibly even more discredited Husted and/or Schlesinger. Just NO.

One thing to NOT consider is ANYONE in AZ. DO.NOT.GO.THERE. There are surgeons who say they do it, including Blackstone, Hilario Juarez, Simpson, and the possibly even more discredited Husted and/or Schlesinger. Just NO.

What about Arizona?

Schmitty are you on Medicaid due to disability or is Medicaid part of the ACA and how one signs up in Nevada for personal insurance?

I know this is a big deal, but have you considered looking for employment with somebody who has 3rd party insurance that would cover the DS? Obviously that is easier said than done, but health in the long term trumps everything and if you can get the DS your health will be greatly improved and tons of other options can open up (we all know fat people get excluded from jobs all the time because of discrimination).

I got on medicaid here because when I went on to sign up for an ACA plan they qualified me for it and put me on it. First health coverage in over a decade. None of my jobs have ever provided health insurance.

I got on medicaid here because when I went on to sign up for an ACA plan they qualified me for it and put me on it. First health coverage in over a decade. None of my jobs have ever provided health insurance.
Does Nevada offer anything else via the ACA that you an switch too?

According to Nevada Healthlink, anyone on medicaid isn't eligible to buy a plan on the marketplace? I looked into it but earlier.

I have called all over the western states but still can't find a DS surgeon that accepts NV medicaid. One in Idaho might, but they are hard to reach and aren't very good at responding so I think I might just try my luck with RNY.

I have called all over the western states but still can't find a DS surgeon that accepts NV medicaid. One in Idaho might, but they are hard to reach and aren't very good at responding so I think I might just try my luck with RNY.
Schmitty, please don't do that because you will regret your decision. There are all kinds of people on this site who had to be revised from the RnY GBP to the DS and it isn't because they were noncompliant or failed in any way. That surgery is simply designed to fail and it does. I have a friend who is 6'4 and weighed at least 600 pounds. He had the RnY GBP 20 plus years ago and lost down to I would say 250-275. Today, and probably five years after surgery he went back up to at least 450-550.

You are better off to wait until you have insurance that will cover the DS or can save up and self pay. The RnY GBP does not work. If you can't get DS qualified then get a VSG that keeps your pyloric valve in tact (you won't dump, which is gawd awful I am told, but chances are significant that you will with the RnY GBP) and you will do better than the RnY GBP with weigh loss and you can always add the switch part later.

Please don't jump at the GBP out of frustration.

@ShmittyInVegas you need to step back, take a few deep breaths, and do some deep thinking before you have a surgery you will be stuck with for the rest of your life. If you think it's tough getting insurance coverage for a first bariatric surgery, you should see the pain people go through to get coverage for a revision - often without success. And RNY to DS revisions, in particular, are the toughest to get because it's a huge and high risk operation that very few DS surgeons do. So for the short term good feeling of "I'm finally doing SOMETHING" you will put yourself into a much worse long term problem.
I don't know whether or not you will be able to find a DS surgeon who accepts your present Medicaid insurance. However, it sounds like you may have other possibilities for insurance coverage that you never explored - you just took what was handed to you. That isn't criticism, you had nothing for 10 years and at that point having at least something looked good. Now that you know more about the limitations of what you have, you could learn more about your options and maybe find something better.
You, and everyone else considering gastric bypass, need to know that the long term failure rate is very high. "success" is defined as losing just 50% of your excess weight, and even with this very generous definition of success, the failure rate for gastric bypass is about 30%. And that doesn't even account for all the people who lose between 50-60% of their excess weight and struggle to even sustain that degree of "success". Those results were what kept me from having gastric bypass, even more than all the unpleasant side effects people life with. If those results are acceptable to you, fine, it's your life.
Desperate people do desperate things. When you are drowning and someone throws you a rope, you don't stop to examine the quality of the rope and how long it will hold you, you just grab onto it and tell yourself it will hold. But this time, you know better.

Try your luck?

Well, we recently moved from NV back to CA, so I know that many Nevadans understand odds. With RnY, you are throwing your money (actually, your health) at the Penny Slots. It won't cost you much money (because they cover the lesser surgeries) and probably won't lose much (weight) and you will probably be back trying again..at something you should have learned won't work.

If I had NO OTHER CHOICE, I might consider the sleeve...but the surgeon would HAVE TO AGREE that he was essentially doing the first half of a two-part DS and cut accordingly.

Latest posts

Back